Rectifier/Regulator fix

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Ate00, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

Excellent site. First ride on my '98 vfr800 yesterday! Here's my attempt to deal with the stock R/R failure issue.

Thought of stock type replacement but canned that idea (already have two bad stock type R/R's) and bought a Yamaha R1 R/R off ebay for $45. Fit is tight - but no more worries. This R/R runs very cool and has plenty of output. First pic. shows original R/R on top of R1 R/R for size and cooling surface area comparison. Second pic. with Yamaha R/R installed near orig. location. Third pic. is idle (1300rpm) voltage at battery.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard, ate. r/r looks good.

3. Rubo

Rubo New Member

Few questions
    1.Which year R1 did it come from.Does it matter?
    2.Did it slide in like the Honda clip in or you soldered the wires.I think this is the critical part that you did not say a word.Please explain how you installed the wiring.
    I really like the beefy R1 R/R
    I am in the process of buying used 1998 VFR and I may just swap it with R1 for peace of mind.Last thing I need is R/R failure 800 miles away from home.Thanks a lot.

4. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

'98 R/R swap

Rubo - The ebay description was "YAMAHA YZF R1 04-06 RECTIFIER VOLTAGE REGULATOR OEM". Other year models may work as well. I am looking for the stock R1 locking connectors as they would be more secure/weatherproof than just the heavy spade terminals/tie straps as I have it now (although I've ridden about 220 miles on very rough roads here on the California Delta with no problem). The R1 R/R has 3 terminals for the alternator connection and two terminals on the regulated output, + and GND so the two Honda red wires need to be tied together to fit on the single positive R1 spade lug. I think I have some pictures showing the connections I'll post soon. The Yamaha R/R is massive and has lots of heat sink area compared to the Honda counterpart.

Attached Files:

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Welcome dude! -- Wow, I didnt realize how large an R1 R/R is. Nice mod. - Just as a note the Honda r/r you have shown is the "old" style. The new style has about double the fin area. Thats what I'm running for now. -- Very interested in your wiring mods though! Could you list the Yam pn too?

Just making an edit --- this is not the way to go now! 2014
    Check
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39277-How-to-fix-common-regulator-Stator-failures

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  6. Ghost

Ghost New Member

Map
    I think I like Ate00

7. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

R1 R/R connections

Here's a picture of the wire connections on my '98 vfr800. Please note that the top three wires come from the alternator and should be yellow but I had to lengthen the wires since this vfr caught on fire from the previous R/R failure cooking the battery and wires (resulting in a fire) at over 19 volts (all of the light bulbs were toast too). All I had in inventory was red wire so that's why they are red instead of yellow. The bottom two wires supply the regulated output to the bike's 12v system and you can see how I paired them up to connect to the R1 R/R. This is a test configuration and I will find the proper electrical plugs to tidy things up. I also lightly ground the outermost fins on this R/R to give plenty of clearance relative to the plastic.

Attached Files:

8. Garr800

Garr800 New Member

Thanks much. I am assuming you replaced the OEM from Honda with the R1 rectifier?

9. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

R/R swap

I do not know the origin or source (OEM or aftermarket) of the two regulators shown on top (top left R/R in 1st picture quit regulating and caused a fire because of 19+VDC output, top right regulator would not charge the battery at all.) The burn victim on top left was on the bike when i bought it and I was given the other R/R as a "spare".

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

mello dude, the markings I see on the R1 R/R are (sound like a pirate eh!) FH011AA and 4.1 261. Not sure what the yam part number is but should be easy to look up online - 2004-2006 I believe.

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Just for info - heres a pic of the new honda r/r, then the old--- (I cant take credit for the photo)

Attached Files:

12. Ate00

Ate00 New Member

mello dude

The new part looks much improved. Do you know if internal electronic improvements were made as well. Any idea how warm the new R/R runs after 10-15 minutes of running (can you keep your hand on it?) Multiple motorcycles...NIIICE!

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Since I am a mechanical geek and an electrical donkey, about what I know is that it works. Also I have the VFRness installed too. I havent had a problem with this since the original R/R blew and ate the battery.

Check out this too.
    Wire My Bike

-- the guy is sorta vfr electrical guru.

MD

Yeah - 1 bike is never enuff. I like my cruiser/sportbike dichotomy.