Passenger comfort?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Echo3Niner, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    So, looking at the Sargent vs. the Corbin, my wife picked the Corbin, because of the optional backrest (not available on the Sargent for the 6th gen).

Now this got me to thinking (dangerous and I think I smelled smoke); there are many good reviews here, and I appreciate all of them, but what do your passengers think of these seats? (I'd a done one of them clever voting things, but it'd take far too long for me to figure out how to do it.)

Anyone got the backrest for the Corbin? If so, does your passenger like it?

Last, and COMPLETELY off the seat topic; my wife's biggest complaint is the height of the rear pegs, has anyone ever heard of longer brackets for the rear pegs to lower the pegs a few inches &/or change the angle?

2. Mac

Mac New Member

My wife likes the backrest on the Corbin.
    I have ranted about Corbins' lack of customer service, and seemingly non- existent quality control. You can get a good product, but you may have to fight for it.

Mac

3. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    OK, so in related questions; anyone else deal with this: Between my wife and I we are 100lbs over the recommended passenger weight of 400lbs... AND that's before we put anything in our bags. I'm thinking I need to crank up the pre-load, but I'm also thinking about getting some Ohlins springs Fr/Rr and getting them at a higher spring rate.

Any thoughts on how that might work? Adverse affects?

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A sidecar or a trailer might work.

5. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah I know, or a fork lift, etc., etc...

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There could be some problems with fork lifting with that much weight on a stock swingarm shock. Fork lifting could be the overall source of the problem too.

7. motion

motion New Member

I'll throw in my 2 cents here for you. I also have the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat with the Backrest for my wife.

First Impressions of the seat from my wife's viewpoint.
    - Slightly more comfortable than stock initially. After 500 Miles or so and a chance for the seat to form to her butt... Marginally more comfortable than stock.
    - She liked the backrest. It allowed her to free her hands up and maintain a more upright seating position. Less strain on the wrist from holding on so much and less fatigue.
    - She absolutely HATED the finish of the Seat. I purchased the carbon fiber leather finish and it is extremely slick. Even though she had something to keep her from flying off the back, now she was constantly sliding forward at every stop. The finish is slicker than glass with riding pants on.

I ended up purchasing a non-slip seat cover from a company in England, cant remember the name. You can find there stuff on E-bay now for around $20. The cover is specifically made for the VFR seat and was very easy to install. This solved the sliding problem at stops and saved lower extremities in the process. Nothing is worse than getting crushed into the tank during a sudden stop :wink:.

Recently, we purchased the full GIVI luggage setup with the trunk backrest and the wife is now very happy. The trunk backrest sits up higher on her back and puts less strain on the small of her back. She claims it's a more supportive position and feels more secure riding with the trunk. The backrest kinda cups the shoulders of your passenger to keep them locked in so to speak.

As for lowering the rear footpegs and Ohlin performance.... Sorry, got nothing for ya there. Let us know if you go in that direction though. I to am pushing the weight limits of the bike when loaded down with luggage and would be very interested to see you take on that issue.

8. PDub

PDub New Member

+1 Motion

Have the Corbin with Harrison backrest and went with the anti-slip cover. The leather surface of the Corbin is very slippery. The Harrison backrest was less than half the price of the Corbin backrest.

www.harrisonspecialties.com

9. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    GREAT info, thanks gents.

10. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks to another thread (thanks Great White! Like I need to spend the money on ANOTHER bike...), I don't think I'm going to work as hard to make my Viffer comfy for the wife; I think I'm just gonna get a Concours 14 or the new V-four thing if it's comparable (in addition to my RWB), and call it good.

Thanks for the help all!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  11. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I'm curious about the Harrison backrest. I have the Corbin Gunfighter and Lady seat...how does the backrest attach? Would I need hardware for the corbin model backrests or do they come with parts that I'll need? Anyone know how the corbin glovebox is? I'd like to weigh all my options first. I'd been wanting GIVI E460N topcase with backrest but the mounting hardware for my 90vfr is discontinued (makes me want to sell and buy a newer bike) and that doesn't seem possible without fabricating one. ( I may do this but I'm still seeking pics or help with this if you can assit with info. )

12. PDub

PDub New Member