86' Poor Throttle Response

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Humpty072, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Humpty072

Humpty072 New Member

I have a 1986 VFR 700 and i'm having some sluggish throttle response. When its idling, If i grab the throttle to rev it up, i'm almost a 1/4 twist before the engine responds. The same thing happens when i'm riding. Is this a fuel pump problem??? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. JRotten

JRotten New Member

I have a little experince with 86 VFR. I used to jet the carbs and one thing that I noticed was if your carbs were not sync right, it could result a engine roughness above 4k rpm. The other thing I found out also to make sure you have NO Vacumn leaks. I don't remember any fuel pumps on 86 VFR 750, and I don't think the 700 has any as well.

One issue I always had with the carbs on installing them was a real pain in the @$$. If you are not mechanically inclined, I suggest to take your bike in and have them deal with your carbs. Just be sure to write down all the symptoms down to help the technican to troubleshoot your problem.

Good Luck,

3. Humpty072

Humpty072 New Member

Thanks for the help, I'm pretty good at makin things work.....this is a fixer upper bike, I'm just looking for a place to start. I'll try to look for a vacuum leak.......any suggestions on where would be a common location to have one? This happens at very low rpm.....but if i choke the engine and get it to rev up then the problem goes away.