1 st. GEN. Fuel Pump

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by twowheelracer, Jul 12, 2009.

1. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Well I looked back a little ways in the old threads and didn't see anything, So has anyone had to replace the fuel pump on a VF750F? Can you still get stock pumps or are there aftermarkets that will work? And has anybody gone to graivty feed only?
    Thanks
    Terry

2. DancingMillie

DancingMillie New Member

i took the fuel pump off my 84 VF500 and switched it to gravity feed - works like a charm, though it jumps a bit when you accelerate from a stop (though that could just be me not being used to the power of my bike, but i thought it was smoother before the switch over - rode it only once before doing so. i'm a noob.). there's some info on it in one of the threads here.

3. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    There is a diverse feeling on taking the fuel pump out of the loop...I say keep it but thats just me...others will say that it doesn't need to be there(if it doesnt need to be there why did they put it there to begin with) before you go to replace it make sure its not the relay. your service manual will tell you hoe to "jump" the relay to verify that the pump is working or not....

good luck

4. CARMINE

CARMINE New Member

Italy
    Map
    In my experience I can say that a fuel pump life is more than the double of the relay life. I agree : before, check the relay-
    Let us know.
    Lamps,
    Carmine

5. pjrocco

pjrocco New Member

Map
    I've converted my 84' to gravity feed over three years ago, and when it was running it never had a problem. I couldn't tell the difference between fuel pump and gravity feed.

6. Unzie57

Unzie57 New Member

Fuel pump 1st generation

:confused:I've tried everything to unfreeze the fuel pump on my 84 VF1000F but no go, I have worked hard on it as I have not been able to find a replacement, at least not OEM. I noticed what looks like a Mistsubushi symbol on the plastic cap....? Does anybody know if there is a pump which will work or should I just go without? I assume there is a reason it was built in to the system.

Evan_VFR700F2H likes this.
  7. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Thanks for your replys all. The reason I'm looking at changing or removing the fuel pump is that it is starting to leak at the bottom. I may try graivty feed see if there is some differance

8. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map

There is no problem with removing the pump and converting to gravity feed. Just make sure that 1) the pump is really the problem and 2) you do not have a filter in the system and you'll be justr fine!

9. airgreesemonkey

airgreesemonkey New Member

Map
    why no filter?

10. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    A paper element has too much restriction for gravity feed. When Honda started running all carburated bikes on gravity feed in 1986 they did not have a fuel filter installed from the factory. This design went on up through at least 2005 on carb'd bikes that did not have ram-air, so it's proven to be ok.

That said, on a couple of my bikes the condition of the fuel tank is iffy, so I run a sintered bronze fuel filter on them. Something like that or a metal screen type would be fine, just not a paper one. Here is a picture of what I use:

[​IMG]

11. Jons03

Jons03 New Member

I recently deleted the fuel pump too, but have a quick question. On an 86' 750 when I open the petcock should gravity fill up the fuel filter and fill the fuel lines? Seems to me that it should like my wr250f, but still unfamiliar with these bikes... Or will cranking the bike over suck (vacuum operated) fuel into the lines?

12. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

The vacuum doesn't pull any fuel, it only opens the diaphragm so the fuel can flow. It's a safety device to stop fuel from spilling out during a crash (or limit the amount). It's pretty common that the diaphragm system deteriorates over time. On the VF500's I prefer to eliminate that setup all together, I'm guessing the VFR700 is similar. Go to the How To section of my site for details on the tank valve modification.

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Honda used similar or identical fuel pumps on dozens of models in the 80s-'90s so salvage yards should be a viable source at less than half the new price.

14. Jons03

Jons03 New Member

Thanks, I checked that out but my tank looks nothing like that and doesn't have the diaphragm on the bottom. Somebody else suggested that there might not be enough fuel to even flow as there's a spout that requires a certain level of fuel before it will flow over. I'm going to add more fuel and see what happens, I thought I had enough but maybe not:rolleyes:

15. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Will Guys I removed the fuel pump and went for a nice ride 300 miles round trip. The only problem I had was that I went over a 11312ft. pass and the bike died on the down hill side( It did run a bit rough at the top) but as I was on the down hill side I could coast with the clutch in and got it running again An ran fine the entire time I was I Gunninson. Now that I have to go back up the "HILL" (Monarch pass) to get home it ran fine until I was within three miles of the summit it died again and would not restart. I ended up pulling the fuel line off the filter was dry checking for flow( thanks to the guy and his son in there truck for the short peice of fuel line ) there was flow from the tank. So I think there was a vapor blockage of some sort( I know sounds odd) but once I reconnected the fuel line the fuel was flowing. I made it up and over the pass and back to the house with out any more problems. I'll post the pics in a few days. Later

16. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    Good to hear! I'll bet your fuel delivery issue had something to do with the petcock. I've had to replace a couple of those in the last few years. The funny thing is that I was never able to "fix" or clean them well enough, the only way to get it working again was to replace the whole thing. Luckily they are still available (or they were available!).

17. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

I replaced the petcock a long while back do to a leak that left a fuel stain on the tank.

18. twowheelracer

twowheelracer New Member

Well just a few days ago went to test ride the bike after installing some aftermarket headers the bike stalled twice do to stariving for fuel. I removed the fuel line from the gas tank truned the petcock fuel would folw put the fuel line on open the petcock and I could see the fuel fill the filter( same filter as your picture Jamie). So I'm going to install a fuel pump off a parts bike and test that.
    Any though?

19. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map

I'm running a 4-1 Hindle on one of my VF1000's and you can hold it WFO for as long as you dare and there is never a hint of fuel starvation. Clearly, something else is going on.

Let me say this: I had to replace a petcock a couple of year ago. The old one would flow fuel in what seemed like plenty of flow. However, I was still having problems. A new petcock completely solved it. My point is that just because there is fuel coming out does not mean that you can completely rule out the petcock. I can't explain it in any more detail, that's just been my experience.

20. Sebspeed

Sebspeed New Member

United States
    Map
    My 86 VFR700F has a fuel pump, can't remember what the filter looks like though.