help with mods please

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by karllheinz, Aug 5, 2009.

1. karllheinz

karllheinz New Member

Map
    I have a 2001 5th gen with the following mods:
    catless header
    k&n filter
    D&D high mount exhaust
    pc fan on R/R
    VFRness upgraded R/R wiring from wiremybike.com
    PCIII
    The catless header is a couple of weeks old. The newest mod is the VFRness R/R wiring loom. Something is off on the bike. When I ride it sometimes it "jumps" during acceleration. It's like I am holding the rpm steady and I will just get this boost of power, sometimes I have to let off the throttle because it continues without me increasing rpm's. It's weird. It's like I can tell the bike is holding back until the boost happens. It used to be different, like the power was always there, no holding back. I have only really noticed it starting today. The VFRness cable has been in for a week or so with no problems. The catless header has been on for a couple of weeks also no problems until now. It's important to note that I have not reprogrammed the PCIII yet. Is it the VFRness cable causing an electrical issue and affecting the running of the bike? I have heard that the VFRness is a good upgrade and only improves the functioning of the stock wiring. Or is it that the PCIII needs to be reprogrammed for the catless header? Or anything else you guys can think of? I don't want to have to remove the VFRness unless it's the problem, it was a pain getting that thing in. I don't know if it makes a difference or not but I have removed the battery a couple of times during the VFRness install. Does that affect the PCIII or remove it's program at all? Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. This site is awesome, a lot of great, helpful, wise VFR lovers.

2. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    all 2000 onwards (catted vfr's) came with o2 sensors right? anyways if you put the catless header on what did you do with the o2 sensors? are they just hanging there? this will throw your bike way off. im surprised it doesnt have an fi light. dyno jet recomends when you get the power commander to go with the o2 eliminators. im not sure if you've done this or not, but you shoud. also i think a remaping of the powercommander is in order, after going with the catless header.

3. karllheinz

karllheinz New Member

Map
    the previous owner had the pcIII mapped for a K&N filter and a D&D exhaust. The o2 eliminators were also installed on the pcIII and factored into the original setup. I think a remapping is in order too but I want to know why I am just now experiencing a problem and if the VFRness can be to blame. Also I'm wondering if having removed the battery affected the pcIII, any advice on that?

4. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

you removed the cat, so now you dont have the back pressure of the kitty cat, best bet would be a custom map.

5. karllheinz

karllheinz New Member

Map
    good suggestion. One question remains and that is why is it acting up all of a sudden? Wouldn't it have started sputtering and doing what it's doing right after installing the header? That's what is making me think it could be something else. Any feedback on that?

6. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

ok so it seems you have a week seperating the catless header and the vfrness,
    how many times have to ridden the bike in that weeks time??
    was the weather funky at all? what rpm range is this happening ??

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    well then i am guessing that you lost your map when your disconnected the battery, and that you essentially have a zero'd out map... as in the stock map. time permitting, either try and have a custom map done, (which you need after the header anyways) or see if a generic slip-on plus filter map helps a little.

8. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

I would have to agree:thumbsup:

9. karllheinz

karllheinz New Member

Map
    I rode it almost every day in between those mods. No funky weather, or no funkier than normal. It happens in all the rpm's I ride in, which is pretty much everything but redline.

10. karllheinz

karllheinz New Member

Map
    I am planning to get the map done, but in the meantime can anyone else confirm that taking the battery out will cause the pcIII to lose it's program?
    Thanks candyred!

11. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

The PCIII won't lose it's map when the power is disconnected. I've had mine off and no issues at all. Besides, when you order a PCIII they mapped mine at the supplier with the exhaust / K&N / O2 elims and it arrived with no 'battery-backup' attached.
    You can always hook a laptop up to the PCIII and see what map it has installed.
    Just sayin'

12. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    go back the way you had it and see if it rides the way it used too.then you know its a comp issue, but like mentioned earlier they ship the map loaded and its mapped for what was previously on there.. good luck