Removing Staintune Quiet Plug

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jim Davis, Aug 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jim Davis

Jim Davis New Member

Map
    Ok my bike (3rd gen) came with a nice Staintune but the 'quiet plug' is stuck in it. I managed to move it a bit with large pliers but didn't like the marks it was making on the round inner pipe... and it wasn't coming all the way anyway so I stopped.

Now I usually ride with the plug as I don't like creating a lot of noise all the time and it sounds great even with the plug in, but I wouldn't mind checking it out without sometimes...

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Does anyone know how long that plug is and what kind of tool I could make to get it to come out?

I think the PO didn't have the plug in for a long time and then when he put it in to sell me the bike, it got stuck. If I can get it out maybe I should sand it down enough to go in and out easier? Ok, but that's only IF I can get it out!

Bike sounds great with the plug in, betcha it sounds awesome without it.

2. wdgah

wdgah New Member

United States
    Map
    Any time metal sticks, I apply heat (e.g., torch) to warm it up.

3. Jim Davis

Jim Davis New Member

Map
    Well I tried it after a ride, so it was good and hot.

I need something with round jaws to grab it, or a rod with round plate I can insert, hook and pull back. Slide hammer type of deal would be excellent. I can envision a tool, but alas have no torches to weld one up.

4. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

Spray some penetrating oil or even WD-40 around it. Also, check to see if the hex bolt that secures the spud is still in or not.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Can't you just stick a broomstick up it's other end and just knock it out?

Regards,
    Rollin

6. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    it was good and hot.

I need something with round jaws to grab it, or a rod I can insert a tool to d one
    :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

7. mobikie

mobikie New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I am also having the same problem. I have just bought a new Staintune for my 1990 VFR and fitted it which went well. However the quiet plug will not come out.
    Did you manage to get yours out Jim?

8. SAFE-T

SAFE-T New Member

I have to do a lot of wiggling back-and-forth to take my restrictor out. I have learned to just live with the teeth marks in it from the tools.

Also, I cut down the restrictor, and now I get a nice balance between too quiet and too loud and just leave it in all the time.

9. mobikie

mobikie New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Thanks for the advice.

10. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey TRACE,

Which end did you cut down, the belled part in the can or the little bit that sticks out past the end of the exhaust tip? AND how much louder did it make it?

Thanks!

11. mobikie

mobikie New Member

New Zealand
    Map
    After asking for help I was advised to make a special tool which would enable me to hammer the plug out. Well I did that, and it is now out.

The photos show what I used. I made the special tool out of a piece of mild steel 20cm long X 25 mm x 5mm. This was left over after I installed a garage door opener last year. I had to thin it down to 20mm to get it to grab at the inside, so I guess a 20mm wide piece would have done.

The muffler was on the bike, so it was firmly held in place, and I could apply a fair amount of force to the plug. No amount of wriggling with pliers would get it out.

I put my homemade tool into the spud, made sure the cutout gripped the spud, and held the lead weight against one side of the bolt to counteract my hammer blows on the other side of the bolt. It didn’t seem to be moving, and just when I was about to give up it just popped out. Probably took 3 minutes.

After getting it out I have smoothed the peaks on the weld inside the muffler, which were causing the spud to stick. I used a Dremel for this, but it can be done with a file. It now goes in and out easily.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010