5th gen starter valve sync

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vfrbart, Aug 24, 2009.

1. vfrbart

vfrbart New Member

Hi all....I am trying to sync the starter valves but having very bad luck.I am using a homemade manometer filled with motor oil. y2k ca. edition vfr.
    Valve # 1 has way more vacuum than the other 3 . I cannot figure out hot to fix this issue. I have tried screwing the adjusters in then out and any way I can. Still nothing changes. I am at a point where I cannot leave the bike running for more than 5 or 6 seconds before the oil is too high .Tough to make adjustments with that much time.
    Any and all help would be appreciated..... thanks

bart

2. Jollyhart

Jollyhart New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi VFRBart,I had the same problem when I did my 5th Gen with homemade mano thing.And It is all caused by air getting drawn into the system.Because you are running a closed loop with oil in it to balance the vacuum of all the cylinders,any leaking joins will make your oil get drawn into the motor.
    I had to get better quality t pieces and it worked perfectly.Give that a go.
    And also,have you got at least 2ft of tube above the oil level?because the adjustments can be pretty far out before you fix `em.
    And when you adjust them you will find that one click will make a big difference in levels.
    Good luck.

3. vfrbart

vfrbart New Member

jollyhart,
    hi there...I have about 4 1/2 feet of tubing above the oil level. I am wondering if switching to gear oil would help also. I disconnected everything last night and started it up.....idle is about 2500-2750 and will not go any lower. It pops like a sob also. Sounds like a supercharged popcorn machine. Any ideas ?????????????????

bart

4. Jollyhart

Jollyhart New Member

Australia
    Map
    Have you made sure that all your connections are really tight.That is your problem.Changing fluid will not fix it.
    Until you get that right, you will not be able to balance it.And now that you have changed all the sync valves it will run rough.Also the idle will be out as well.When you sync it properly the idle may need adjusting again.
    Best of luck.:smile:

Attached Files:

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

6. Jollyhart

Jollyhart New Member

Australia
    Map
    Oh yes I forgot to tell you that I had disconnected my pair system,but if you want to keep it you have to clamp the hoses to that as well.

Robby.

7. vfrbart

vfrbart New Member

Well no luck as of today....# 1 is still pulling way too much. I will have to try restrictors so I have more time for adjustments. Also,all connections seem to be airtight,even wrapped each connection with tape just to be sure no air getting in.

8. vfrbart

vfrbart New Member

another update.....I changed the oil in the manometer to 90 wt. gear oil....all connector points are 100% sealed,restrictors in place and I still have #1 pulling way too much. It pulls so much I do not have time for adjusting while the engine is running. Someone out there has to be smarter than I am or just better a resolving this issue.
    thanks,
    bart

9. Jollyhart

Jollyhart New Member

Australia
    Map
    If you adjust number 1 down about 4 clicks does the gauge change at all?
    I had to do alot of adjustments before the levels were able to be read on my gauge.But I had fiddled with it alot before my t pieces were sealed right.
    Keep going!!!!You will get there!!:thumbsup: