Suggestions for upgrades!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by VFROC11, Sep 2, 2009.

1. VFROC11

VFROC11 New Member

Hi. I bought my 2004 VFR in May with 5K on it. First off let me say I've owned to previous bikes a Yamaha Virago(got it as a starter bike) and a Suzuki SV650S. Neither bike comes close to the VFR. The first time I road it I fell in love witht the power of the V-4 engine. But now after putting a few thousand miles on it, I'm thinking about doing some upgrades.

Which is better the heli bars or the genmar handlebar risers?
    Also the guy i bought it from put some crappy grips on it any suggestions for a good handle bar grip?

And my final question is which is better, Corbin seat vs. Sergeant?

thanks in advance!

2. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
  3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I seem to go against the grain of the majority here, but I tryed helis and didnt like them and tryed gen mars and they seem to be fine. Then after about a season going back to stock seemed to be best. (That was on my old 4th gen) - I think most 6th genners will say go with helis. My suggestion - wait a season, then decide.

Seats? I like Corbins, I'm on my 4th in a row -(different bikes) - I have bought off ebay and sometime at my dealer for a discount when I am buying a bike there. I have heard that if you want something custom from Corbin, thats when the problems of customer service come up. I have been fortunate not to need any.
    There are a lot of Sargent fans here too, someday I would like to try one, although I'm a stubborn fool and generally stick to what works for me. Also a goofy thing I've heard about seats, goes something like.... some people have a Corbin butt and some people have a Sargent butt and that kinda determines what seat is best for you.

Grips?
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/first-second-generation-1983-1989/21831-motorcycle-grips.html

Other mods? Most guys do the pipe and power commander thing. Then if your really wacked, some guys will ditch the stock headers with the cat and replace with Motad headers or the stock '98-'98 pipe which are cat less.

Then go to suspension upgrades. - If you like to burn twistys, that eventually will be a must as the stocker boingers are really geared for more touring style riding. If your in an either engine or suspension choise. do the suspension first.

I would say that the majority here have modded thier bike in one way or another - hang out awhile - there are lots of ideas....I suggest figure out what kind of rider you are, and then go from there.

Good luck dude - welcome!

MD

4. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd say before you start on the bike, go to a nice weekend track school. You'll be able to actually use what the Viffer has much better, and you'll also know more about what you want to change.

5. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Buy my uber kewl Staintune exhaust slip ons :biggrin:

6. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    :crazy: he asked about comfort upgrades not to race against you and rossi,:rolleyes: i guess on the track( nice weekend) watch out for those not so nice weekends; you would find out if the bars need to be raised for a long street trip....:crazy:........ to answer your question the gel grips are good, the heli bars are better then the gen , both sargent and corbin are great seats, you may want to look into the convertibar... after you do an endurance race of course, that way you will really know what you need for the street..:rolleyes:

7. jmt256

jmt256 New Member

I'm not sure where you live or in what weather conditions you ride but If you are going to replace the grips, I recommend a set of Hot Grips and a variable heat controller. I have had them on my last two bikes and they are the first upgrade I am planning for my new (to me) VFR. Besides the obvious benefit of keeping you noticeably more comfortable in the cold, I find they are more comfortable on my hands as they are somewhat larger in diameter than the stock grips to give more surface area for heat transfer. This spreads the load across the palms better easing some of the pain that can come from long rides or rough pavement.

8. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I LOVE my Sargent saddle. Never tried a Corbin, so can't tell you whether I would like it also. But I am with you on dumping the stock seat. It is awful! I am amazed you suffered for a couple of thousand miles on it.

I have the stock handlebar setup and I think it's just great. I'm 5'10" and weigh 175 pounds.

I agree with the previous post that the stock shock isn't suitable for spirited riding on "lUMpY" roads. I have an Ohlins.

I bought a PCIII and a new filter and had the bike tuned by a professional shop. This made a huge difference in ridability ("What VTEC transition?"); although my gas mileage suffered, it's worth it! I also bought a Leo Vince exhaust, which probably was the most extravagant purchase in that it didn't really justify itself with performance gain, but it makes the bike more fun to ride! And THAT's what it's all about!

In the future:
    Upgrade forks
    SS brake lines
    Heated grips
    Rear fender eliminator

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  9. Denman

Denman New Member

Basic mods to consider

I've used Corbin seats on my Harleys and my Victory Hammer S and like 'em just fine. Takes about 1,000 miles to really mold itself to your butt, though. I have a Sagent seat on my '07 VFR and I LOVE IT! Great seat, great material and workmanship. I too put close to 2,000 miles on the stock seat and the diff is night & day.

I installed a 2-Bros exhaust system onto the stock header and added a Power Commander. The sound is MUCH better than stock, but more importantly, the throttle response is 100% improved. I still want to have it professionally dyno-tuned, because I'm thinkin' there's still more power to be found from that mod alone.

Grips? Try this. I bought a set of black foam motocross-enduro grips at one of the local bike shops here in San Antonio. They slip right over the existing OEM grips, they fit real snug (no movement under hand) and feel great. I've had them on about a year now, and frankly I thought they would have worn out by now but they haven't. Give it a try, cuz it's CHEAP! ($15? Something like that.)

If you still have the OEM Dunlop tires, you might want to lose them. There are several threads on the forum regarding tires and various preferences. I took the advice of some of the experts here and had Conti Road Attacks mounted and so far I love 'em. Next up for me is suspension tuning.

The rest of the stuff is largely cosmetic. Replaced the OEM shield with a dark smoke Zero Gravity Double Bubble, and I removed the passenger footrests and bag brackets, which really cleans up the ass end of the bike.

Just remember - buying the bike is just a down payment on the accessories and mods to come.

10. steven113

steven113 New Member

699 pro gel grips, less than $10 and awsome!