Vfr1200f

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Tommygunz, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

Looks official. On Honda's site. What do you guys think? Mods?:rolleyes:

2. flya750

flya750 New Member

United States
    I'm curious to see a poll based on generation ownership...?

Who likes it and who doesn't....?

3. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
  4. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    no biggie. just redirecting you to all the brouhaha... there are actually about 3 or 4 active threads about the bike going on right now. I bet it's the same over at vfrd also...

6. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    There is one someplace, I've seen it.

7. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    After I down loaded the brochure, the white one is somewhat interesting, definitively needs a a repaint IMO and that exhaust has to go, it will being giving Staintune challenge. Very disappointing to read it only has preload adjustment on the suspension, what a bummer since they have at their finger tips some pretty nice bits.ala 1000rr Now this may sound silly,so I'll be brave and throw it out, I'm not reading anything about it having Vtec, does it or not? I'm taking it as it does not, as it uses this new unicam design. anyone see the explode view of the head design? I did read it still has the linked brakes tied in with ABS funny how they have all this fancy lingo about it.. all in all be interesting to put my hands on one. At 600+ lbs that too is pretty disappointing, since that was one big issue we all here seem to agree it needed to go on a diet, still 170Hp, is that to the ground? if so well at least they may have got one thing right.. the saga continues huh??

8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

ohc v. dohc are just 2 different ways to configure the valvetrain, there are benefits to each configuration. my engine design references indicate that dohc has the advantage with relation to overall spread of power and also peak hp and torque. The hp and torque advantage is due to dohc's ability to deal more effectively with high rpms and also to locate the spark plug in a more effiecient location in the combustion chamber. dohc engines also benefit by alowing optimized placement of the valves in the combustion dome which provides for maximum performance. The ohc system has the advantage with respect to weight and low end power and torque. This was why VTEC was utilized in the first place....to get the maximum benefit by having the power delivery advantages of both configurations. VTEC is not as ridiculous as most believe. I equate peoples responses to VTEC to what people probably said when the first automobiles were introduced to the horse and buggy crowd. there really is a lot more involved in this, but that is the boiled down version and what i believe most people are interested in.

typically ohc engines only utilize two or three valves per cylinder, you can have a four valve per cylinder engine with ohc and variable valve timing, but it usually requires a complex set of rocker arms or overly complex cam lobe shapes. I believe they have gone to deactivationg entire cylinder banks instead of just a couple valves per cylinder due to this complexity.

Typically hp numbers provided by motorcycle manufacturers are related to power at the crankshaft and are usually determined by calculations and not dyno testing.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  9. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Here's some head shots. Note how far the cams are mounted to the intake side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    After downloading and slowly scanning through the brochure, my better half remarked she quite liked it so at least if I decide I like and can afford it in a few years time wont have that battle to fight. :smile:

11. tman

tman New Member

just saw it on hondas website it is sweeeet!!!!
    now i need to trade in my 6th gen

12. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

From those pictures it would seem that they have gone the route of utilizing rocker arms so that the spark plug location could be optimized...this however adds weight back into the equation and I still can't really see how many valves per cylinder....my assumption would be 4, but I can't really tell from the pic....if it is only two, then this configuration looks more like an automobile engine and the ohc configuration weight advantages have been nullified, which also adds more to the equation for comparison. I really want to see a detailed rendering of the head...and they seem to be pretty tight lipped about it. edited because i didn't see the screw on filter sticking out, off the right side of the what ever is under that cover with the hex nut attached.....

All of these things have convinced me that they have no intention whatsoever of making this a sportbike powerplant in the future. I actually think the machine is very cool, but i'm still struggling mentally with the philosophy behind the powerplant.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  13. DGW

DGW New Member

From looking at the picture it also seems to be that the exhaust rockers are screw type adjustment and the intake side would be shim under bucket. This should make the valve adjustment easier and cheaper. No more v-tec adjustment. It also looks like the exhaust rockers have rollers on them that should mean less wear on the cams.

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

VTEC adjustment is not difficult, somebody with actual experience can do it easily. people struggle with locking up the spool, because honda doesn't sell the tool. once you have fabbed your own tool, it isn't that difficult. and if you have to make a shim adjustment on the intake side, you still have to remove the cam if the shim is under the bucket. Most people that voice displeasure about the VTEC valve adjustment don't even work on their own machines.

15. pm_wizard

pm_wizard New Member

Map
    Speaking of VTEC it seems to have vanished! Also the cylinder shutdown everyone was getting fussed about pre-release.

Anyone seen any references to any of that technology in the new VFR?

John

16. DGW

DGW New Member

I agree V-tec valve adjustment isn't hard. It is just time consuming.The cams have to come out just to put the stoppers in to check the V-tec valves.If they need to be changed you have to order the special V-tec valve buckets which are different from the shims. According the mechanics the cams, 4 of them ,come out 3 times to do this. My last bike had screw type adjustment and the cams didn't have to come out and it was very easy to do and took about an hour and a half to do.The only down side was that screw adjustment valve lash had to be done every 7500 miles. I would think with only 2 cams and screw adjustment that a vale check would be much cheaper for the dealer to do. By the way I have a Sixth generation and I will do all the work myself. I won't pay some over priced mechanic to mess up something I can do by myself.

17. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    +1

You can also see in the pic above the 2 rockers per exhaust port, and 2 cam lobes on each intake port, so it's 4 valves per cylinder.

No cylinder deactivation on this model, it's 4 cylinders, all the time.

As far as weight, it's 53 lbs heavier than the 4th gen California model (10%), with 50% more horsepower & torque.
    linky: 1994-97 VFR750F Specs

18. Tori

Tori New Member

United States
    Map
    I like it. But then im an outcast that likes his 6th. gen. :biggrin:

I do agree, seems to be on the porky side. And with an ass like that, where's all the weight ?