Blown headlight/brake light fuse

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by cajunpackrat, May 5, 2006.

1. cajunpackrat

cajunpackrat New Member

Map
    During our ride last Sunday my headlights, brake lights and instrument panel ceased operations on my month-old '06. Pulled over and found the fuse was popped. Installed the spare 10A, made it home with no more trouble and haven't had any problems riding to and from work this week. Local Honda shop had no suggestions, but I was curious if this is a known problem with the VFR's electrical system. No additions have been installed, plain stock.

Dennis

2. Damon

Damon New Member

I had a problem with my 98 where the guy that did setup thought the front brake lever was too high (in angle) on the bar and adjusted it down. The tail/brake light fuse blew 3 days later.
    Honda put out a bulletin on it and the guys at Motorcyclist mag even encountered the same issue. They were supposed to fix it from 99 or 00 forward, but your problem sounds very familiar...
    -d

3. cajunpackrat

cajunpackrat New Member

Map
    Update. The fuse blew again today (5-16). The local Honda shop now has it until they figure it out. I don't like the idea of this happening again, possibly at night. It's scary enough just getting stuck without brake lights in city traffic, much less in the dark and no headlights either. I'll forward what they find as soon as I know. Until then I'll be riding my 'wing.

Dennis

4. Adam Wright

Adam Wright New Member

Same thing happened to my on my 04 model.
    Two seperate honda dealers, the first stripped it found nothing wrong. Second shop found the fuse had blown. I was just reading about an overheating electrical part at the following site, might have something to do with it, i don't know much about electrics.
    www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/rr-maintenance.htm.

5. cajunpackrat

cajunpackrat New Member

Map
    The local Honda shop called to let me know they found a corroded ground and a few loose connections after talking to the Honda tech line. I won't be able to pick the bike up until next week when I get back in town. I will definitely find out which ground point/connections they found bad. More when I find out. Having spent more hours than I care to think about chasing electrical problems on helicopters, I know what a pain intermittent problems can be. I know one of their salesmen is watching mine closely, he ordered his Pearl White VFR the week after I bought their floor unit.

6. Damon

Damon New Member

Thanks for posting the follow-up.

7. cajunpackrat

cajunpackrat New Member

Map
    Final report (I hope!)

Picked the bike up this morning. David, lead mechanic, told me there is a ground block connector under the left cowling. It had corrosion on at least one of the pins. Connections were cleaned and dielectric grease was applied to the plugs. Honda Tech Line suggested checking there first, if corrosion was found that was probably the culprit. Time will tell if this problem is solved, but at least now I have an idea where to check before running to the shop.
    As for the exact location of the connector, I believe it is just aft of the left turn signal. If anybody has a shop manual, please feel free to enlighten me.

Dennis