Trip odometer and clock randomly resets!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bcoli, Nov 1, 2009.

1. bcoli

bcoli New Member

2003 VFR 800

A bit an electrically mystery to me: A three times (once when I stalled it in stop-and-go traffic), upon starting the engine I noticed that the clock and the trip odometers were reset to 1 am and zero miles. The overall odometer isn't affected.

Any suggestions as to why this happens?

I recently purchased this bike and it's got 52K miles on it, so I'm mentally prepared to deal with some mechanical issues, but the electrical stuff always baffles me.

It also starts a little poorly. It either takes a few extra turns to fire up (compared to my EX500 or TL1000); or it turns over once, pauses for a second, and then fires up. Any thoughts?

2. betarace

betarace New Member

sounds like a bad ground from the instrument panel

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Hummmm, Strange. My 06 the whole displace were jumping all over. Took her to the stealership and they replace some kind of chip, Cost $15 dollar for part but the labor and dianose cost $225. Extended warranty paid for :) Hope this help

4. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a bad battery, loose battery cable, or faulty ground somewhere going to the display. If you say that there are problems starting, I'd get a new battery in her and knock out the first two items I listed.

5. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    when my clock / trip meter kept resetting it was the battery. it was juuuuuust about ready to die completely. i thought R/R, but installed a new battery & no probems since.

6. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    I had the same experience just recently. It was the battery.

7. taylor98

taylor98 New Member

also had the same problem on my 98. it was the battery.

8. j2aquabot

j2aquabot New Member

+1 on replacing the battery.
    I saw the same symptoms: clock resets, poor cranking on starts, and stalls/shutoff in traffic (esp after fan turns on).

9. plasma

plasma New Member

Map
    AS said most pro battery,check with meter.

Plasma.

10. matty poo

matty poo New Member

got a o7 with 2000mi that resets trip a and b and clook i will try the battery first.

11. virgo1962

virgo1962 New Member

Me too!

Funny (or sad?),
    I just got a brand new 2007 delivered 2 weeks ago, and this happened to me Sunday.
    I suppose if the battery is the original battery, and has been sitting there for 3 years?
    It literally had 0 miles on it, and i just took it out in the snow and drove half a mile to fill up the gas tank.
    Then started it up again and noticed the clock had reset.
    Now i have 3 miles on it, LoL.
    The roads are mostly clear and dry, and when the temperature here made it up into the mid-30s, i couldn't resist any longer!
    We'll see if it persists, maybe after i drive it a while and the battery charges it won't happen again.
    Otherwise I will see what the dealer says about it.

12. uberchuckie

uberchuckie New Member

I had exactly the same problem in the fall. It was the battery. With a new battery, the problem went away.

13. rccaulfield

rccaulfield New Member

Bump- same problem just developed on mine! Battery has loads of life left in it tho?

14. virgo1962

virgo1962 New Member

i can't find it again on the web, but i found another forum where someone had unplugged and then re-plugged the fuse on a bike with a new battery and that seemed to fix it i think.

15. vfrshesfastenougholdman

vfrshesfastenougholdman New Member

I have the same clock reset issue in my 2005. I only noticed it after I took my bike to the dealer to get the recall replacement installation for my Sub-Wiring Harness.

The battery should be good. I got the battery last year and have had it on a battery tender the whole time.

I tried reseating fuses, and wiggling the battery terminals but everything is tight. I'm going to reach under and see if a wire is loose on the gauge like you are suggesting.

16. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I ride a 98 also, and when mine had those symptoms a battery didn't fix it, but a new r/r did... I rewired mine to use the yamaha r1 r/r and it works awesome, cranks hard and fast every time now and no problem running extra power. take a look at this thread about it: http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanic...yamaha-r1-regulator-work-5th-gen-vfr-how.html It was much cheaper than buying a new unit from Honda and people total these R1s with low miles all the time...

17. vfrshesfastenougholdman

vfrshesfastenougholdman New Member

I took mine to the dealer this morning. They said the sub wiring harness they put in is fine. They said it is the clock itself dying, but you can't just order a new clock you have the order the "meter" I think they said. Then they said you can't even get that part any more for mine, and it's a 2005. Why does Honda not make parts for their bikes? I wanted luggage, they don't have the luggage anymore either.

18. Knobber

Knobber New Member

Map
    I'm going with the battery. I had exactly the same problem. Thought no way it could be the battery because it wasn't that old but when I replaced it no problem since. I think what happens is during a "hard start" it actually drains for a second (like a dieconnect) and that resets the trip meter and clock (I live overseas right now so it also puts me back into mph/miles vice kph/km). Odometer is not affected by this loss of electrical power (or everyone would disconnect their battery right before saling their bike!). Anyhow, I hope that is the answer for you because it worked for me and is definitley the easiest answer. Ciao'!

19. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    +1
    Both my fifth gen bikes experienced this issue when the battery capacity dropped either due to insufficient charging (RR intermitent failure) or battery inability to hold a charge. Since you have a relatively new battery, I would be looking at the RR with suspicion. Problem is that these darn things will work just fine sitting in the driveway when they are cool and then stop working 30 minutes down the road, ask me how I know this.

20. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I think they are full of shit! The clock isn't dying it is just seeing a significant drop in voltage when you hit the start button because the battery isn't fully charged. Did they say how they came to this conclusion?