4th gen 97 750 FV fuse blowing

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by bigblackfalco, Nov 12, 2009.

1. bigblackfalco

bigblackfalco New Member

United Kingdom
    Scenario:

Bike was running fine last week up till Friday night. Bike untouched over weekend.

Use the bike today when it went dark I noticed the dash lights, rear tail lights and front pilot/side lamp were out.
    All these items on same 10A fuse which had blown.
    Change fuse. All seems well when bike is stationary. Ride away and fuse blows again.

Tonight change both rear tail lights for new.
    Pull front fairing apart. Remove instrument cluster. Remove any suspect 'capless' bulbs. Clean PCB(which is looking a bit suspect in certain places).

Look for broken/chaffed wires around loom and connectors.

Turn on ignition with nothing connected to that circuit (all bulbs removed),
    instrument cluster removed.
    Add bulbs one by one. All working.
    Add instrument cluster. All working.
    Start bike and leave running. All good.

Put fairing back on. Start bike and fuse blows again.

Does this ring bells with anyone.

Your thoughts gentlemen please.

2. tris1948

tris1948 New Member

Map
    Thats a tricky one as you appear to have done all the logical checks.

A couple of thoughts though

Can you make it fail by pulling the clutch in or moving the side stand

Did you have the lights on when you started it.

Trouble is you could still have an intermittent short in the loom somewhere. If you can get it running again can you shake the loom and make it blow a fuse?

That's a bit of a disjointed response, but good luck.

Tris

3. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    I thought long and hard about this and even studied the '94-'97 wiring diagram to no avail.

I want to agree that it's not related to putting the side panels back on, but some other electrical switch. Maybe, as suggested, the sidestand or the clutch switch grounding out that is causing the short and blowing the fuse.

I don't believe it's related to the lighting circuit - you've already been through it with a fine toothed comb.

4. Ape-X

Ape-X New Member

Bike was running fine last week up till Friday night. Bike untouched over weekend.

Use the bike today when it went dark I noticed the dash lights, rear tail lights and front pilot/side lamp were out.
    All these items on same 10A fuse which had blown.
    Change fuse. All seems well when bike is stationary. Ride away and fuse blows again.

<<<rev related. under power, short or voltage spike to circuit due to R/R?????

Tonight change both rear tail lights for new.
    Pull front fairing apart. Remove instrument cluster. Remove any suspect 'capless' bulbs. Clean PCB(which is looking a bit suspect in certain places).

Look for broken/chaffed wires around loom and connectors.

Turn on ignition with nothing connected to that circuit (all bulbs removed),
    instrument cluster removed.
    Add bulbs one by one. All working.
    Add instrument cluster. All working.
    Start bike and leave running. All good.

Put fairing back on. Start bike and fuse blows again.
    <<<< what wires could fairing panel be moving? That is likely where short is.....

while i have very little experience with this bike yet. In my first 10miles of riding all gages went out and the bike died. Turns out the R/R which I knew was a stumbling point on this bike was bad. That blew a main fuse for me....though with unproperly regulated voltage going to various circuits, it could just as well have blown your lighting circuit instead.

You've checked obvious, and should recheck any wires that may have moved on installing the panels. try installing the panels with the bike on? even try immobilizing the wiring harness