Video of a trip up Blood Mountain, GA

Discussion in 'USA - South' started by GeorgiaRider, Nov 14, 2009.

1. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Hey guys,
    Here's a quick video of me riding up Blood Mountain in GA, November 11, 2009. The chase bike is a CRB1000RR and I'm 'trying' to follow a ZX-10R.
    Go ahead guys, comments, suggestions, critiques!
    Gary
    YouTube - Gary riding on VFR at Blood Mtn 11/13/09

2. jay956

jay956 New Member

OK.
    Your trying to keep up with someone on the street instead of riding your own ride. you will crash eventually.
    Your lines scare me. you look like you should be riding a gixxxxxxxer with those lines.
    Please make a trip to Road Atlanta before you kill yourself.

3. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    you looked like me when i was trying to keep up with 2 rc51 dan and craig i told them to go ahead and i would meet them at the other end because they were riding way to fast in the corners on the street for me

4. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    you can have a lott of fun like at the tail of the draggon and blood mountain by staying close to the speed limit practice slidding ure body off the bike in tight twistes but do it at a much slower pace than joey or matt rides ilearned how to drag a knee at 15mph it was fun even that slow

5. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    thanks jay i couldnt put it beater myself

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I tend to look at crossing the centerline as completely blowing the corner and that i have gotten away with one i shouldn't have. it requires far more skill to move at an elevated clip and stay in your own lane.

7. steven113

steven113 New Member

Looks like a fun ride! other thanwhat is stated above thanks for sharing!

8. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    man i dont ride THAT fast

9. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Yea, too fast for me too!

I am not into (nor plan on) the fast knee dragging bit, but I understand the roll weight transfer plays at speed in tight turns. I was amazed watching the guy you were following! He sometimes would lean away from the turn; keeping his body perpendicular to the ground. I was expecting him to lose it!

But then again, I have no experience doing those speeds.............

Looks like a fantastic road! Thanks for posting the video!!

10. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    There are some issues with your form as mentioned above. I don't want to get into things because I am guilty as are the rest of us at not being perfect. Short of a class, practicing your technique at lower speeds is a great way to get it and then you can pick up the pace. Pickup a book called "Total Control" by Lee Parks available at Borders. This will give you some technique to practice. The best $26.95 mod you can make for your bike.

+1 Jay (I've ridden with jay)
    +1 NCB (Hope to ride with him one day)
    +1 KD4

Thanks for sharing your video. It looks like a nice road.

11. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    I dont know, except for nudging the center line pretty good a few times, it looked like a pretty decent ride to me. A 45mph road with 25 mph curves and tractor trailer trucks going the other way may not be the very best venue for hard 3rd and 4th gear blasting, but I didnt think you were being super reckless, but I wasnt there and havent ridden that road. There are tons of roads around here that are similar and after a while I get to where I'm looking for places not quite so tight where the speeds can be elevated and the turns sweep more.

The only part that bothered me a bit was right at the beginning where the the pickup truck was cool enough to let you guys by and then suddenly there's the Dollar Store tractor trailer going the other way heeheehee. Usually when I spot a huge truck going the other way while I'm in the middle of the curve warning buzzers start going off in my head. Haahaahaa

12. monk69

monk69 New Member

How did you keep the wind noise out... sounded great!!!

13. park800

park800 New Member

Map
    If I'm not mistaken it's at 7:20 where Sy's Brother in law laid down his beloved 3rd Gen. going in the opposite direction. Maybe Sy will correct me if I'm wrong.

14. madduxca

madduxca New Member

i love a good spirited ride like this.... but i also put my vfr into the woods yesterday... practice @ the track and ride safe...

15. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Thanks for the vid! Looks like some nice roads!

My only comment for all of you is(as was stated a few times)...."stay in your lane and ride your own ride." I did not like seeing everybody going back and forth over two lanes.

Keep da rubberside down brudda and thanks for sharing!

:vtr2:

16. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

Lets see! To answer some of the questions / comments that are made about the video.
    I WAS NOT on the camera bike. That is a CBR1000RR following me. I'm on the white 6gen.

Yes, It was a VERY spirited run up the mountain. We did about 3 runs up and down that day. I never crossed the center line on the ride ( I did get close to it a couple of times), however, due to the speed, and my own comfort, we were using both of the lanes going up the mountain. I usually ride without doing this, but I usually ride a little more reserved than this day.

I was NOT riding flat out, (there were NO pucker moments at all) but it was quite a fast pace at that time.

I have been riding streets, and MotoCross for 37 years, and I am one of those that has NOT been down on the street.....Dirt, many times, but street not, as many of you seem to imply...YET.

Tires were 600 mile old Pilot Powers, street was nice and warm, and there was no debris on the roads at all.

I have ridden many times, in front and behind, Joey, Matt, Sy, Park from this forum, so I know the speed of the riders here. This was faster than any of the rides that we have been on, guys.

It was quite exhilarating to run the mountain at that speed. The two riders that I was with are both track racers on their street bikes (1000's) and they have dedicated track bikes. I learned quite abit that day watching them. I will be doing another track day this December, then following it up with one scheduled for March.

Sorry for those of you that don't like the speed we were going, to each his own. As I said, being 51 I normally don't ride quite this speed, however, the VFR can easily handle everything that I can throw at it.

With that said, I will be still trying to perfect my cornering techniques, so thanks for your comments. I'm working on getting off the seat further.
    Oh, and yes....I've read, and own, Lee Parks Total Control, both of Codes Twist of the Wrist, and Ienatsch Sport Riding Techniques.

Ride your own ride, the VFR can do touring (as a lot of you must do) or it can easily handle high speed twisties!

PS. Monk, I'll find out what camera my friend on the CBR was using for you!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  17. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    You know.. I have actually felt bad about my post for a couple days. I think I kinda took my lead more from the other posts than from the video. I watched it over several times and there was only one thing I saw but but like I said I didn't want to get into things since I like many of us trying to perfect my skills. I did post comment about the Lee parks book. I found the book very helpful. I think it is easier to see what someone else is doing wrong rather that what you yourself is doing wrong. I think I ride more to the spirited side too.... Especially when I go out with some of the guys from this site.

I can tell from your post you didnt like some of the comments but I think your comment "Go ahead guys, comments, suggestions, critiques!" set the lens through which we watched the video.

Sorry for any offense. There was none intended.

18. GeorgiaRider

GeorgiaRider New Member

No offense taken on any of the comments. I've got thick skin.
    However, I really wanted constructive comments, not "ooh, you were using both lanes of the road" type comments! I realize crossing the yellow center line is showing sheer stupidity, that's why I stayed on MY side of the roads!
    A lot of the comments were from people that thought I was riding the bike that was filming, No....not me. As I said, the camera bike (chase bike...duh) was a CBR1000 and the guy in front of me was on a Kaw1000. I couldn't keep up with him, and really didn't try. Skill and power was lacking there.

In closing, like I said I'm working on my skill set, and getting off the seat more is something that I need to focus on. (Being a MX rider I tend to throw the bike under me, rather than lean with it) However, riding close (note...close...not past) the edge gets your brain working and you start to feel the bike, and what it can do, and where your limits are.
    I believe that is why the more spirited VFR riders take it to the track to learn. For the rest of you, tour away. There's room on the roads for every type of rider.
    Note: There was no 'squidly' wheelies, or passing cars on a double yellow!
    Constructive comments are always welcome! (One that I did get in a PM, and I realize that I need to work on, was that I was on my brakes too much on a corner entrance, rather than using engine RPM to slow down and set my entrance speed)

Oh, and by the way, on a 'normal' group ride we ride Ienatsch's 'The Pace' which lends itself greatly to fast, spirited riding, without being frenetic!

Later Viffers!

19. Hotbrakes

Hotbrakes New Member

United States
    Nothin wrong with keeping the brakes covered on the street. Mine always light up going into blind turns but it doesn't mean they're engaged.

Definitely keep working on your form, the mx skills will pay off in other ways.

When they give you 2 lanes, why not use them? Its nice having near track widths to work on lines. Not like a car's gonna sneak up on you in a corner!

20. matt1986vf500f

matt1986vf500f New Member

United States
    Map
    gary i think you suck at riding! so you shoudl give me that bike so i can show you how to ride that thing :biggrin: