How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

My wife just dropped a turd in my lap and I need to toss it back at her! :mad:

While discussing the VFR I just purchased (new, crated 07), she tells me, "You are too old for that bike!" :mad:

I am 50 years old and never gave age a thought. I have been riding HD's for the past several years. How many older guys are out there enjoying the VFR?

Come on guys, post some ages so I can tell here that once again, she is wrong!

:cool:

zeekster, Lighter37 and anthonygg13 like this.
  2. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    54 years old, 55 years in about 4 weeks. I had a wife who tried to tell me I was too old for my toys. The operative word there is "HAD" a wife. She is no longer around and I still have my bikes - note I said bikes (and I still have my kids too). In retaliation, next time she asks you if "these jeans/pants make me look fat", tell her the jeans/pants have nothing to do with it! Then call your lawyer. I guarantee she will not see the humor in that answer. Seems your wife may be jealous of your new young "VFR girl friend".

Tread lightly if you choose to follow my advice - it could cause you to lose 1/2 your stuff!!!!

3. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

"The jeans/pant have nothing to do with it!!" That is some funny chitt! :)

I know what you are saying, I cant wait to get a bunch of replies so I can put her in her place!!!!

Lighter37 and anthonygg13 like this.
  4. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    43-Old enough?

90% of the people that know nothing about cycles (sorry ladies!) call my cycle a "crotch rocket". Simply because it is not a Harley. I consider most in-line 4's 600-1000ccs to be crotch rockets. When I tell them it is a 750 (small displacement in today's market), and that it is close to being a standard, and that crotch rockets don't have saddle bags, their eyes just glaze over. It is a red '96 so it is, of course, a sexy beast. That makes it a crotch rocket in most civilian's estimation.
    I believe my wife had one foot out the door when I bought a 500 single (Honda FT 500), and was gone after two old Goldwings were purchased simultaneously. I hope she is happy, wherever she is.:smile:

Lighter37 and bhendron like this.
  5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I am 43 and have an 06. I regularly ride with a group of guys (on VFRs) that range in age from early 30's on up. Age is in the mind and in the heart. Tell your wife you don't feel old and you would like to keep it that way.

Last fall wile out riding, our group ran into an older guy mid 60s on a SV1000.... Fastest guy on the mountain. Just saying.....

bhendron likes this.
  6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    TOOOOO FUNNY!:thumbsup:

7. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

I hear that! I sometimes have to side-step "trouble" because my 20 year old mentality tends to lead me down the wrong road! It is fun though!!

:party2:

8. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    Many (15) years ago I met a couple who were touring the US on their 1966 Electra Glide. They bought it new in 1966. He was 82 and she was 80. His and her comments were to the effect of, "we still feel like we could ride on your sport bike, but then we look at each other and laugh. Eventually you slow down some and you will know when it is time." Maybe when I get that old I too will be on a touring bike. Both of them did tell me to "never quit riding. It will make you old if you do"

9. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 53, been riding since age 10 and have a VFR700 and a CBR1100XX, my VFR is bike number 40. I don't feel right on a cruiser or Goldwing and I don't race so I don't need a uncomfortable bike like a R1. I still drive sports cars and don't feel at home in a SUV or Luxo boat. I think it's more about how what you ride/drive connects you to the road rather than age. Actually the worst thing you could ride as you get older is a big heavy bike, they're too hard to control in a emergency situation.

Zapp and bhendron like this.
  10. weasel

weasel New Member

58 and slow is still not fun.

bhendron likes this.
  11. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 56 riding a '97 'bout 5000 miles a year. Sold my cafe'd 400-4 to by (her) a house. Long story short-it's never enough and it just so happened the last time she was out of town on one of her 'find herself trips' I found my '97. When she saw it in the garage: HER: "So you bought another bike, why?" ME: "Because I can't afford a P-51 Mustang." I guess you had to be there. Kids call my VFR "your third child." So ride it 'till you can't because you never know when that will be. :thumbsup:

Steve Eh, John carnahan and bhendron like this.
  12. leftcoast

leftcoast New Member

United States
    somewhere near Seattle, but my heart is just north
    Map
    I'm old.
    But never younger than when I'm on my VFR.
    For fun sometime go sit on a Ducati sport bike or an R6 or an GSXR for a half hour.
    a VFR is NOT a crotch rocket.....sorry.
    It's a really balanced sporty ride.
    Too Old? My ass. This is a comfortable 400 - 450 mile day ride. fast & light ENOUGH (please note everybody - I said light ENOUGH) to really have some fun in the twisties. enough weight & soft enough suspension; seating position that allows day long rides.
    I have a BMW K1200rs as well, and it is more comfortable on a long freeway ride because it has more weight, but you pay the price of that extra 180 pounds in the tight corners...or when you are pushing it around the garage.
    Viffer will probably be the last ride I sell.

When I get off my VFR I always feel better than when I got on it.
    Makes me smile & feel like being nice to my wife.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    gjvs430 and bhendron like this.
  13. MrDen

MrDen New Member

I'm now 57, and have had my VFR for just over a year. It's my second Interceptor, and I intend to ride it until one of us falls apart. I hate to be the one to say this, but I think it's your wife who is getting "old." Ride safe.:thumbsup::biggrin:

bhendron likes this.
  14. rodm850g

rodm850g New Member

how old are you?

Guys,
    This one makes me laugh my ass off {no abbreviations here } also a question for motorhead1977....why is divorce so expensive?

see below

further down

further

ok far enough.....ITS WORTH IT!

and to the op sorry for the thread hijack......I myself will be 59 on my next birthday and am the youngest of the three mousketeers sic on purpose.....
    I just sold my TL1000S because the riding position wasa bit uncomfy for my back and am now a very proud owner of a 99 VFR, I alos have an ST1300, a cruiser for my Wife and a just restored classic GS850GN....I am the younger of three that ride regularly, one of the other fellows rides an ST1300 and boy is he quick...I call it "Don Quick".....my other best ridin bud Rick pushes hard on a 1200GS that is a combat vet...took out bambi just a few weeks back....between the two other old guys we have roughly120 years of history between us ...the other two have more mikles on dirt bikes than many on street bikes....SO there are many older guys on VFRs and sporty bikes.....its not the age....nah age is a cop out.......you don't get old because you ride you get old because you quit riding.....
    Rodm850g:thumbsup:

bhendron likes this.
  15. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Just turned 63, but my wife says I'm immature (but likes me that way). I've done 850 mile days, a 5,000+ mile trip, an 1,800+ miler, and three 1,200+ milers, all this year. Many of the younger guys can't get over it, and complain that it's too hard on them. Maybe age kills the pain? Whatever, I've got several more long-haul trips planned. If they kill me, what better way to leave the planet?:biggrin:

Igrok and bhendron like this.
  16. plasma

plasma New Member

Map
    72 been riding 50 years .

Plasma.

bhendron likes this.
  17. petunia

petunia New Member

"How many older guys ride VFR"
    Well, I don't count as a guy but I'm 48 and still riding.

Zapp and Igrok like this.
  18. vf750j

vf750j New Member

You're not Too old, VFRs are for old guys anyway

You're definitely not too old for the bike....older riders (like us, I'm in my early 40s) seem to be the demographic for VFRs anyway....hard to deny that younger guys go for R6s, GSX-Rs, CBR RRs, R1s etc. this fine site is proof as positive 90+% of the members are "mature".

I bought mine as I had an affinity for Interceptors from the days of owning a 1st generation VF750F Interceptor. I like the idea of the quality and technology of the bikes but let's face it, all out power won't knock your socks off if you've been riding for a while...(I have been considering an R1 or CBR100RR.)

Back to you're wife's comment....if she has any interest in riding, why not try to get her motorcycling? It worked for me.

VF750J

19. Triplepac

Triplepac New Member

51 goin' on 52. As for getting crap about it, my girlfriend's the one to get me back on motorcycles, AND, encouraged me to get a VFR. Among the many reasons, one that kinda crept up on me is taking care of my elderly mother with Parkinson's Disease. The lack of mobility and scariest of all, balance issues. I thought, I need to take better care of myself including those issues. My grandfather rode until his late 80's. I hope I can do that. Bicycles, Motorcycles, it's all good.

bhendron likes this.
  20. buzzy

buzzy New Member

48 years young. If it ever came to a decision of me or the bike..........oh ya I'm single now.

bhendron likes this.