Turn Signal Opinions

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by AnUnknown1, Dec 21, 2009.

1. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Hey All, just thought id post this to get a general set of opinions on my little issue here. As it started getting colder my LEFT turn signal started getting a bit sticky. What i mean by this is, when i push the left turn signal on, i hear the relay clicking quickly like a bulb is out, but NO lights are active, and after about 15-20 seconds the signals come on. Checked all the bulbs, even replaced them just for giggles, knowing that wasnt really the problem. If i activate right turn, it comes on with NO problems. I know, bizzar. :biggrin: The only things i can think of at this point are 2. #1 The turn signal relay has a sticky sector, i.e. the left turn side is sticking, not that i havent seen some weird relay crap in my days but that would be unsusal. #2 The turn signal switch is either a coroded causing excessive resistance or is itself sticking. Now even saying that, i know the switch would be unlikely as it operates, you CAN hear the relay go active just no lights come on as described. Just thought id throw it out there get some opinions, see if anyone else had seen this either. Have some Happy Holidays everyone.

Much Aloha,
    The Unknonwn1 :biggrin: :thumbsup:

2. rccaulfield

rccaulfield New Member

Just has to be the relay then! Its getting power so switch is good, theres no corrosion at the bulb sockets and bulbs are good-get a spurrious one cheap enough!!

3. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Yea, see i know it. The Technition in me tell me the logic, yet the lazy fat kid in me says, the effin switch is right there! You could pull that baby apart and clean all the contacts with zero issue. I just didnt feel like taking apart the upper faring to get to the dash and relay. LOL i know, im sadistic, i was willing to completely disassemble a turnsignal switch assembly because it was there. I ran out of time the other night to actually go that far and take apart the dash. Guess i'll suck it up and just do it, i got time after christmas =) Gotta be safe while riding.

Much Aloha,
    AnUnknown1

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
  5. Singer732

Singer732 New Member

United States
    Map
    Your Relay is controlled by how much current is passing through it. If it's clicking quickly you passing a lot of current. If the lights are not flashing all that current is going somewhere, i.e. you probably have a short. I would look for corrosion in a plug or a rubbed through spot on a wire. That it gets better kind of points to corrosion in a spot that is warming up and changing resistance. If I had to guess I'd look at the relay. They generate a lot of heat. Electrical contact cleaner is usually helpfull for these things.

6. Marckus

Marckus New Member

Sticky/Delayed Turn Signaling

I have a similar problem on my '00 with the right turn signal. Left worked perfectly but, the right was iffy. The bike also had a few second delay when switching between high and low beam during which there was NO beam. Pulled the control pod apart, cleaned the contacts and slightly repositioned the hi/low contacts. That cured the headlight issue and improved the right turn signal a bit but, the it still needed 2 or 3 attempts or even a long hold before it would begin signaling. Pulled off the front fairing and checked the relay and it had no corrosion at all - it's actually very well protected by a snug rubber boot. It looked new but, it's just not acting new. I guess I should just order a new relay, they look to be about $40 bones.

7. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Pliskin- Very funny, i tend to buy their muffler bearings in bulk
    Singer732- I agree with your summation, i had checked all my lines elsewhere
    all thats left at this point is to check the contacts and areas near the relay.
    Markus-Yea, my experience has been even though a realy LOOKs ok, doesnt mean it is, often when you narrow the scope to that relay, and you replace it with a known good one and things work like they should. Opening up the casing on the bad one often shows what was going on, but many times the outer casing wont show ANY signs of problems.

Thanks guys for the input, like i said, i'll be breaking her down later this weekend and checking all my wiring and likely replacing the relay while im there. I'll let you know what i find, maybe even take a few pics along the way if they are interesting.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Just try squirting some WD-40 or similar into the switch through the slot....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  9. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Squirrelman- Really? Why does that not sound like a good idea? If it works im all for it, but i dont wanna buy a relay AND turn signal switch LOL

10. hatzyian

hatzyian New Member

What Squriellman suggested is fine. I've had similar problems with my indicators, ie. slow to start, one side faster than the other.
    A good squirt of contact cleaner, excercising of the switch, followed by some WD40 cured the problem.

11. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Be careful with Switch and Contact cleaner. Some types are not compatable with some types of plastics. Test a non-critical area first!

12. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate that. I'll give it a shot first THEN take apart the dash for the relay.
    Maggot- thanks for the tip, lord knows i wouldnt have thought about that. Not thinking i would have sprayed away without looking first.
    Hatzyan-Another thank you, this is why i put this up. These are things i would have never thought of!

13. AnUnknown1

AnUnknown1 New Member

Well a big thank you to squirrelman, hatzyian, and maggot. It worked! And really well i might add! Thank you guys, saved me from unecessarily pulling apart the dash. I checked a few different electrical part cleaners before finding one that wouldnt damage or discolor the plastic. Then wrapped the assembly with an old baby towel (nice, small, and soft). Sprayed it clean while cycling the switches. Then let it dry. Then hit it with the new WD-40 with the never lose straw. Bingo. All lights and switches work like a charm! Thats why i love this website and forum set up! I was out and about on the ole girl last weekend. Nice little ride. Im hoping to hit up red rock canyon on monday. Cold is NEVER a reason not to ride.