1985 vf1000r?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by mcoman, Feb 15, 2010.

1. mcoman

mcoman New Member

I found what I was told was a 1985 Vf1000R for sale. the paint seems a little off to me the fender is front fender is white, the red seems to extend to far down on the faring, and the front shocks are not red. I am wondering if this bike is the real deal or if there is something I should check for when I go take a look at is. Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

looks like it has been repainted

3. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  4. gearsau

gearsau New Member

I would stay away from that bike... The paint scheme is wrong. If you compare a 1985 and 1986, you will see where the blue paint at the top of the fairing is different. That bike lookes like a 1986 scheme for the fairing, but, the tank is 1985. The colour scheme is wrong for the fairing though.. The mud guard is white , and, should be red. The forks have a problem where stupid HONDA did not prepare the forks properly for painting, and the paint just peels off. This bike probably had that problem, and the guy has stripped all the paint off, and not bothred to re-paint them . After market exhaust system as well.

The seat is black, and should be red.

My advise..save your $$$$$

5. hondabill

hondabill New Member

United States
    Map
    depends on how much he wants 4 it

6. mcoman

mcoman New Member

He is asking $1500

What does a good VF1000R go for today?

7. hondabill

hondabill New Member

United States
    Map
    3000 @ up bike mite be ok somebody mite have been dumb enough 2 ugly up one of the best looking bikes in history. how many miles are on her.

8. mcoman

mcoman New Member

There are 25k miles on the bike and it needs some tires.

9. gearsau

gearsau New Member

In Australia, a couple have gone recently for AUST. $ 8,000 to Aust $ 10,000 .. Exchange rate is arouns Aust. $ 1.00 = US $ 0.88... So, Aust. $10,000 = US $ 8,800 ...... We also have to pay a lot more for our bikes and cars than you guys do in USA.
    I would not even touch that one. Could cost a fortune getting it back to scratch.... There is a nice one going on Craigs list there in USA.... It was mentioned on the form recently...

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Gen 1 bikes have some well-known reliability issues, so do your homework and read up on cam lobe, chain tensioner, and upper end oiling problems.

Those bikes are VERY heavy feeling, and i agree with others who say "don't waste your money."

11. gearsau

gearsau New Member

GEN 1 bike did have CAM PROBLEMS............. But ..CHAIN TENSIONER ??? ..... These are GEAR DRIVE to the cams. I agree with you though about cams and upper end oiling problems

12. mcoman

mcoman New Member

So I just got some better pictures of the bike looks like it needs more work than I though. Would it be worth $1000 or is to beyond repair. I was told it was in good mechanical shape so assume that it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gearsau

gearsau New Member

14. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    If it's running and in good mechanical condition then yeah, it's worth $1000 - $1500. It's going to need some work with fiberglass and a repaint plus elbow grease to get it back in to proper shape. It depends on what you want to do.

You can take it from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good, clean, spotless examples have been going for between $3K-$4k US the last few years.

Give me $5500 and you can have mine. (pic'd above..)

15. mcoman

mcoman New Member

Can you still get the stickers for these bike or is everything masked and painted?

16. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  17. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    I guess it all depends on you. Are you handy with tools? Can you work with fiberglass? Are you willing to spend the money needed to get it back to street fresh? What do you ultimately want from it? Do you want a bike to just kick around on or are you interested in doing a full restore? If you can do all the work yourself and you just want to get it going safely, you won't have to spend much BUT, you will have to live with rusty bolts, spider cracks, faded plastics, etc. If you can do all the work and want it to look like VFRcapn's , you need a lot of time and patience. Body work isn't difficult. It's mostly fiberglass and I certainly have repaired worse looking kR fairings before. Replacing rusty screws is easy. Sanding and painting the frame,wheels, swingarm etc. is straight forward. It looks like it's mostly all there so you won't have to hunt down a ton of parts. Are you up for a project? I mean the kind of project where you actually are having fun getting it looking the way you want. A hobby, if you will. If you're looking for some thing like that, where you spend some time in the garage and in the end, you have a cool bike that's fun to ride, then I say go for it. If you're not up to it then pass. If you want mint, you pay mint. If money is tight and there's no way you'll ever drop $4500 on a used bike, then offer him $800($1500 is too high in that condition) and start at it. Make sure it's running decent and no fluids are leaking. Expect tires, chains, fork seals, battery,pads, etc will need attention.

This forum and others like it aren't around just for people to post pics of their perfectly mint, stock bikes. It's a place to get info and there's lot's of smart guy's here to walk you through all phases of bike repair. Some will say don't spend your money but kR's aren' falling from the sky so if it's a bike you want, you certainly can make it happen. I'd buy it for spares in a heart beat. Otherwise, you'll need to just keep an eye out for the occasional $1800 one that's actually in pretty good shape. Good luck.

18. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    Get a loan for the balance and buy THIS one.

19. mcoman

mcoman New Member

If you cover the cost of transporting the bike from california to massachusetts than I might concider that

20. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map