1996 VFR750 Buyers Guide

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Lucas, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Map
    I am looking at purchasing a 96 model with aprox 90000 kms on the clock. I need at a reliable bike to do about 30kms a day of commuting and some weeked squirting.... Can someone please give me a check list of specific things I need to check on this bike when I go to ispect it...?..

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Well now, other than the obvious like tires, chain, battery, engine maintenance (how it was taken care of) this model is pretty much bullet proof, less thew dreaded voltage regulator hi-cup, but even that can be rectified. so go with your gut, a real gem of a machine, IMO I must say it was the best of the best. This model VFR can go long distances or rip up a track, be used as a daily driver or what ever you can throw at it. again other than how it was a taken care of, like all machines, a well given tell tale sign at first glance is how it was taken care of in how it first looks. then go digging, you may have just found gold.

3. Lucas

Lucas New Member

Map
    The regulator issue seems to be the only real gremlin that is mentioned..... Its from a dealer so hopefully thay have serviced it too. Problem is I have to fly 400kms to even see it, then if I like it i'll ride it home..

4. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Get as many pictures as you can. Like it was stated above, the R/R is the Achilles heel of the VFR.

At this point, the plastics are getting a little brittle (mine are), and the other consumables (brake pads, fluids, chain/sprockets, etc.) are probably close to consumed.

But the 4G is the best VFR - don't let any of these other yahoos tell you differently.

5. thepimpdaddy

thepimpdaddy New Member

United States
    +1, right on.

Love my '96, look for leaky seals, scrapes and signs of a downer. Oddly, after about 4500 miles on my new-to-me '96, the front brake switch failed, but a $11 part and two minutes with a screwdriver cured that. A lovely ride all around.