Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    '85 VF500f(sold) / '03 Honda Shadow(sold)/ '90VFR750(sold) / '98VFR800 / '99 DR650SE
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

New Project bike hits the stable - '90 VFR750

So yesterday I went out and looked at a bike listed on Craigslist. A broken down 1990 VFR750. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a project bike yet. It's really more of a broken down jigsaw puzzle on two wheels. Ya know the puzzles where someone's toddler chewed on the pieces and you aren't sure if they're all there or of they're going to fit back together?

I don't know, some people rescue puppies and kittens; I feel the need to rescue broken down bikes.

The story is that the craigslister bought the bike from a coworker. Coworker had laid it down and the motor had a tick that C'lister thought was lower end. C'lister does body work so he planned on fixing up the plastics. Original owner decided to start tearing the motor apart while C'lister thought it was just a leaky exhaust. Original owner tore the cams out of it and that's where he stopped. C'lister bought it anyway and then lost interest in the project.

The plastics are a little worse than I expected from my phone conversation with the C'lister. Cosmetics aren't my thing but I've wanted to learn - this may be my chance. Tank is in perfect condition. Corbin seat - cover is about wore out, no rear cowl. Brand spankin new michellins on white wheels front and back. The tires are so new it may explain why the bike went down. 46k miles on the clock. Headlights are good without any yellowing and same with the instrument cluster.

All for $500. I figure the worst case is I'll get my money back out of parts.

1st order of business - take photos and post (I'll have initial pics here in a couple minutes)
    2nd order factory service manual from ebay
    3rd cut my teeth on gear cams and put the top end back together
    4th perform cold compression test and get 1st clue as to how healthy the motor might be. As long as everythings w/in10% and near the low end of the spec (cold engine remember), I'll proceed to put it together and see if I can hear the noise they spoke of.

The idea would be to get the engine running without putting any more than $50/100 into it until I see what I have and can re-evaluate the project. If I can get it running and looking good without the complete investment exceeding $1200 then I'll probably proceed with it.

notice the pile of plastics, the rest of the motor and stuff is living in the tote:

A peek into the tote:

Last edited by tinkerinWstuff; 04-02-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: try to make elwray look stupid
    5th Gen Resurrection - Rebirth and re-invention of a wrecked 5th Gen

3rd Gen Resurrection - Craigslist project bike

Dumped the California Cams - swapped 49 states cams into a Cali' motor

Country
    My Ride
    2007 VTX 1300C, 03 VFR (gone 8/21/10)
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hopefully this post goes through before you post pics, otherwise I'll look like an idiot:

Country
    My Ride
    02 Honda VFR800 84 Sabre 1100S
    Thanks
    You waste no time!
    Mr. 90+ mph, now with 3 speeding tickets in 1 month, that's working out really good

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2007 RWB SUPERCHARGED / 1986 750 SSA
    Thanks
    Nice Tink, now hurry up, ti's the time to ride soon.
    I am nuttier than a squirrel turd "Nancy Pelosi"

My theme music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_r-M9gipm9s

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out a car window.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wow, looks like you've got a fun spring ahead of you!!

Country
    My Ride
    1992 vfr750(EXwife's ride), 2004 fz1 yam, 1982 magna, 1981 k305, 1981 cb750 four, 1986 Yamaha Radian (kid's bike), Yam XS400 Chopper
    Thanks
    All we gotta do is convince Cundalini that his plastics are beyond repair, make him street fighter his bike & give you the mildly scuffed plastics.
    "The quickest way to change a persons mind on a subject is a 168 grain boat tail hollow point." 1*

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR800fi 2003 VFR800 VTEC
    Thanks
    i'd love to find a project like that. great find and good luck! keep us posted

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    '85 VF500f(sold) / '03 Honda Shadow(sold)/ '90VFR750(sold) / '98VFR800 / '99 DR650SE
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'm 250 miles away from the project at the in-law's house for Easter so I haven't even been able to look at this thing since I took the photos posted above.

Itching to take inventory of what I have. I did talk to my dad and he's sending me a good quality cup-gun and I bought a respirator for the cosmetic work I'm hoping will be ahead. Still not planning on wasting a moment of time or effort on the cosmetics until I know what I really have for an engine here.

I would consider wasting some time reading and getting educated though. If anyone has any threads they'd recommend with info on painting plastics or any must reads on the 3rd gen in general, please give me links!

Cundalini's cosmetic rework threads are as eventful as watching paint dry.

Country
    My Ride
    '86 VFR 700F X3/ '97 VFR 750F/ '89 NT 650 HAWK/ '86 Yamaha Radian X2/ '66 Yamaha YL-1/ '88 VTR 250 / '90 VTR 250/ '73 CB 125
    Thanks
    Not too many would dive into this project, but we know you can rescue it, Tinki !!

And it's very rescue-worthy; only thing i'd worry about is the unidentified reported tick, but you've got the resources and smarts to sort it out.

Get the engine running b4 putting time into the plastic, and remember what miracles duct tape can work and that you can buy red duct tape that closely matches Honda's red.

" Goin' to Hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride. "

FRACKING: kiss your aquifer good-bye !!

Country
    My Ride
    Going...Going...Gone....(2007 VFR800 RWB (SOLD) (1993 VFR750F - SOLD)
    Thanks
    You've easily got over $500 worth of parts so you win either way. Good luck with the project and please keep us updated.

Rollin

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelman View Post
    Not too many would dive into this project, but we know you can rescue it, Tinki !!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin_Again View Post
    You've easily got over $500 worth of parts so you win either way. Good luck with the project and please keep us updated.

Rollin
    Thanks Rollin. I talked to TOE on the phone before committing to purchase just to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. He pretty well said the same thing, and when I saw it had brand new rubber on it and a great condition tank - done deal.

So, I've found a few moments to take a little inventory of what I have here. I'm still disappointed when I look at the plastics but I keep telling vfrhubby that he and kristin are taking a vacation to the rockies this year to give me painting pointers. Found a K&N air filter. Found a clue from the PO matching up the cam caps and cast ID from the factory indicating where they belong. Just need to locate another clue as to WHICH set the PO took off WHICH head. So far it still looks like everything is here; carbs, airbox, airbox cover, cams, cam-caps, cam-cap bolts, valve covers, radiator, oil cooler blah blah blah....

Found a set of used spark plugs in the box. 3 looked real good and consistent. The fourth plug had more carbon buildup but didn't look bad. Always a chance it's carboration but regardless I guess it's to be expected for the miles it has.

Plan remains the same - get the cams installed to perform a cold compression test and evaluate next step from there based on results.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE:

Found the "noise" I was warned about.

Installed the cams and was verifying timing. I placed a long narrow screwdriver down the spark plug hole to track piston location while turning the motor over by hand and watching the cam lobes (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust). I discovered that when I turned the crank slightly and the piston was on the down stroke, I could stop, push on the screw driver and "CLUNK". The piston would move somewhere around .030-.060" and clunk when the slop was taken up. Move the crank a little more, push piston, clunk.

Try the same thing on #3 and everything was good. So she's likely got a bad rod bearing or wrist pin.

Not ready to throw in the towel on it though. If a runner fell in my lap for cheap I might consider that route but for the moment I'll pull the motor. As long as nothing's roasted then she might get a new set of bearings, rings, and valve job. In the end it could be ready for another 50k miles.

This project may keep me busy all summer.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    called local salvage yard Steeles Cycles for fun just to see if they had a motor. They'd want a pretty good price but thought it couldn't hurt to check. In some ways it would be nice to have a running motor to enjoy the season while having the builder motor on the bench.

Salvage yard said he had a '97 that had burned but the motor mounts would be different for me. No good '90-'93 motors. All-well, worth a try.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    I think I saw a 90-93 motor on ebay just the other day, and i believe it was fairly inexpensive.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I peeked at ebay. problem is that shipping runs around $200.

There's no value in $200 worth of shipping. I can't resell $200 and $200 is probably what the engine parts would cost and I'd have a "like new" motor when done.

I will conceed there's some value in being able to play today while the riding season is just about to get good..... I can watch that motor and if it stays under $100 + $200 shipped, I'd be doing alright.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Well, its your call on this. Just saw a few auctions and thought I'd let you decide.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bweiss View Post
    Well, its your call on this. Just saw a few auctions and thought I'd let you decide.
    Appreciate it. I posted a question to the Florida seller to see if he had any idea about miles on the motor and that I may want to talk to him about crate-n-freight. There's a washington motor (not sure if you linked it above) that's a '96 and may only have 20k miles and is willing to ship for a small fortune. I'm trying to find out for certian if the 4th gen will bolt up and then I'll see if they will get a better freight estimate.

I also emailed a small shopping list of parts inquiry to my local Honda to find out about rod bearings/rings/head gaskets and a few others that would be necessary to have her ready for another 50k miles. Before everyone barages me with their favorite online site, I find my local shop to be competitive when I shop, I'll check around to keep them honest but I'll support them when I can.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    I only posted 3rd gen motors. Let us know how they all turn out!

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Did not get as far into the project as I would have liked to this weekend.

The motor is out. I thought I had a runner lined up to throw in the bike while I rebuilt the current one. The guy was supposed to call me back yesterday and didn't so we'll see what happens.

Rolled the frame out into the street and gave her a good pressure washing. Don't expect much to happen this week short of locating parts.

Country
    My Ride
    Going...Going...Gone....(2007 VFR800 RWB (SOLD) (1993 VFR750F - SOLD)
    Thanks
    Your bike would look 100 times better with a 6th Gen rear wheel. Lucky for you I am willing to do an even swap.

Rollin

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm very lucky I have several offers to trade good parts for good parts but not many offers for the plastics or motor that I really need.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    UPDATE:

I thought I had a motor lined up but shipping costs made it pretty prohibitive. I started tearing down the old motor to get to the bottom of this bad bearing. VFR parts have now completely overtaken the garage. The heads are off and I almost have the case split so that the crank will come out HOWEVER, Honda was kind enough to use a special F'ing nut on the clutch basket. The tool is $40-$45 at the two local shops I called. There must be another sourse....

Part #17 is the one that's holding up the show: Service Honda's 1990 Honda Street Bike VFR750F VFR Parts List

Maybe a trip to sears to check their tooling selection is in order. I'll update later with photos of the progress - or distruction depending on how you look at it. I've had to shovel a lot of knowledge out the back of my brain like ballast in order to make room for the memories needed to reassemble this puppy. Not sure if I know how to tie my shoes any more or if that's one of the things tossed aside.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    No luck looking at sears online for the tool. Think I have an idea to fabricate my own tool using a drill press, tap set, grinder, and welder.

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Small cup gun showed up from UPS yesterday. Gift from the ol' man to help me restore this beast.

.....think of all the hell I can give Cundalini if I get this project running on the road with painted plastics before he finishes making a career out of his paint job....

Poser

Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR 800; 2003 YZ 450 F
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post
    Small cup gun showed up from UPS yesterday. Gift from the ol' man to help me restore this beast.

.....think of all the hell I can give Cundalini if I get this project running on the road with painted plastics before he finishes making a career out of his paint job....
    I'd say that proposition is very doable given past performance...

Country
    My Ride
    1997 VFR750F (SOLD)
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerinWstuff View Post

Please don't finish first.

Cundalini a.k.a Whine-da-lini will post up a thread on how you and VFRhusband get your projects done before him and how sad it makes him

BZ
    "The average man does not get pleasure out of an idea because he thinks it is true; he thinks it is true because he gets pleasure out of it".

-H.L. Mencken

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    well, he better get crackin.

I picked up the painting supplies, fiberglass, and plastic weld today along with a moisture seperator for the compressor. Time to start scraping and sanding.

The motor is in a holding pattern for a week. Might have a line on another used motor but trying to wear down a craigslister to a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll make the commitment to direct my minimal funds into rebuilding the old motor. I got an estimate from a local machinist to drill out a busted headbolt I broke last weekend.

BTW, here is the look I'm going for. This photo I found in the 4th gen album so this bike belonged to someone here. I picked up this color from Sherwin Williams today. The difference will be that my bike has white wheels and I'll have white vinyl.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Lovely color. Good luck

Administrator

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Spoke with local dealer and got an estimate for parts on the engine rebuild. Around $750 includes gasket kit, rod/main bearings, rings, carb insulators, water pump.

That's about $300 over the budget I had for this thing and I haven't measured the clutch disks for wear yet. Dealer was kind enough to break loose the special nut on the clutch basket for me. Only cost me $5 tip to the mechanic.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast