New Project bike hits the stable - '90 VFR750

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by tinkerinWstuff, Apr 2, 2010.

1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    So yesterday I went out and looked at a bike listed on Craigslist. A broken down 1990 VFR750. I'm not sure if it qualifies as a project bike yet. It's really more of a broken down jigsaw puzzle on two wheels. Ya know the puzzles where someone's toddler chewed on the pieces and you aren't sure if they're all there or of they're going to fit back together?

I don't know, some people rescue puppies and kittens; I feel the need to rescue broken down bikes. :crazy:

The story is that the craigslister bought the bike from a coworker. Coworker had laid it down and the motor had a tick that C'lister thought was lower end. C'lister does body work so he planned on fixing up the plastics. Original owner decided to start tearing the motor apart while C'lister thought it was just a leaky exhaust. Original owner tore the cams out of it and that's where he stopped. C'lister bought it anyway and then lost interest in the project.

The plastics are a little worse than I expected from my phone conversation with the C'lister. Cosmetics aren't my thing but I've wanted to learn - this may be my chance. Tank is in perfect condition. Corbin seat - cover is about wore out, no rear cowl. Brand spankin new michellins on white wheels front and back. The tires are so new it may explain why the bike went down. 46k miles on the clock. Headlights are good without any yellowing and same with the instrument cluster.

All for $500. I figure the worst case is I'll get my money back out of parts.

1st order of business - take photos and post (I'll have initial pics here in a couple minutes)
    2nd order factory service manual from ebay
    3rd cut my teeth on gear cams and put the top end back together
    4th perform cold compression test and get 1st clue as to how healthy the motor might be. As long as everythings w/in10% and near the low end of the spec (cold engine remember), I'll proceed to put it together and see if I can hear the noise they spoke of.

The idea would be to get the engine running without putting any more than $50/100 into it until I see what I have and can re-evaluate the project. If I can get it running and looking good without the complete investment exceeding $1200 then I'll probably proceed with it.

[​IMG]

notice the pile of plastics, the rest of the motor and stuff is living in the tote:
    [​IMG]

A peek into the tote:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  2. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Hopefully this post goes through before you post pics, otherwise I'll look like an idiot:

:worthless:

3. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    You waste no time!

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Nice Tink, now hurry up, ti's the time to ride soon.

5. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow, looks like you've got a fun spring ahead of you!!

6. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

All we gotta do is convince Cundalini that his plastics are beyond repair, make him street fighter his bike & give you the mildly scuffed plastics.

7. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    i'd love to find a project like that. great find and good luck! keep us posted

8. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Well, I'm 250 miles away from the project at the in-law's house for Easter so I haven't even been able to look at this thing since I took the photos posted above.

Itching to take inventory of what I have. I did talk to my dad and he's sending me a good quality cup-gun and I bought a respirator for the cosmetic work I'm hoping will be ahead. Still not planning on wasting a moment of time or effort on the cosmetics until I know what I really have for an engine here.

I would consider wasting some time reading and getting educated though. If anyone has any threads they'd recommend with info on painting plastics or any must reads on the 3rd gen in general, please give me links!

Cundalini's cosmetic rework threads are as eventful as watching paint dry.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Not too many would dive into this project, but we know you can rescue it, Tinki !!

And it's very rescue-worthy; only thing i'd worry about is the unidentified reported tick, but you've got the resources and smarts to sort it out.

Get the engine running b4 putting time into the plastic, and remember what miracles duct tape can work and that you can buy red duct tape that closely matches Honda's red.

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    You've easily got over $500 worth of parts so you win either way. Good luck with the project and please keep us updated.

Rollin

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Rollin. I talked to TOE on the phone before committing to purchase just to make sure I hadn't lost my mind. He pretty well said the same thing, and when I saw it had brand new rubber on it and a great condition tank - done deal.

So, I've found a few moments to take a little inventory of what I have here. I'm still disappointed when I look at the plastics but I keep telling vfrhubby that he and kristin are taking a vacation to the rockies this year to give me painting pointers. Found a K&N air filter. Found a clue from the PO matching up the cam caps and cast ID from the factory indicating where they belong. Just need to locate another clue as to WHICH set the PO took off WHICH head. So far it still looks like everything is here; carbs, airbox, airbox cover, cams, cam-caps, cam-cap bolts, valve covers, radiator, oil cooler blah blah blah....

Found a set of used spark plugs in the box. 3 looked real good and consistent. The fourth plug had more carbon buildup but didn't look bad. Always a chance it's carboration but regardless I guess it's to be expected for the miles it has.

Plan remains the same - get the cams installed to perform a cold compression test and evaluate next step from there based on results.

12. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    UPDATE:

Found the "noise" I was warned about.

Installed the cams and was verifying timing. I placed a long narrow screwdriver down the spark plug hole to track piston location while turning the motor over by hand and watching the cam lobes (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust). I discovered that when I turned the crank slightly and the piston was on the down stroke, I could stop, push on the screw driver and "CLUNK". The piston would move somewhere around .030-.060" and clunk when the slop was taken up. Move the crank a little more, push piston, clunk.

Try the same thing on #3 and everything was good. So she's likely got a bad rod bearing or wrist pin.

Not ready to throw in the towel on it though. If a runner fell in my lap for cheap I might consider that route but for the moment I'll pull the motor. As long as nothing's roasted then she might get a new set of bearings, rings, and valve job. In the end it could be ready for another 50k miles.

This project may keep me busy all summer.

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    called local salvage yard Steeles Cycles for fun just to see if they had a motor. They'd want a pretty good price but thought it couldn't hurt to check. In some ways it would be nice to have a running motor to enjoy the season while having the builder motor on the bench.

Salvage yard said he had a '97 that had burned but the motor mounts would be different for me. No good '90-'93 motors. All-well, worth a try.

14. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I think I saw a 90-93 motor on ebay just the other day, and i believe it was fairly inexpensive.

15. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
  16. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I peeked at ebay. problem is that shipping runs around $200.

There's no value in $200 worth of shipping. I can't resell $200 and $200 is probably what the engine parts would cost and I'd have a "like new" motor when done.

I will conceed there's some value in being able to play today while the riding season is just about to get good..... I can watch that motor and if it stays under $100 + $200 shipped, I'd be doing alright.

17. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Well, its your call on this. Just saw a few auctions and thought I'd let you decide.

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Appreciate it. I posted a question to the Florida seller to see if he had any idea about miles on the motor and that I may want to talk to him about crate-n-freight. There's a washington motor (not sure if you linked it above) that's a '96 and may only have 20k miles and is willing to ship for a small fortune. I'm trying to find out for certian if the 4th gen will bolt up and then I'll see if they will get a better freight estimate.

I also emailed a small shopping list of parts inquiry to my local Honda to find out about rod bearings/rings/head gaskets and a few others that would be necessary to have her ready for another 50k miles. Before everyone barages me with their favorite online site, I find my local shop to be competitive when I shop, I'll check around to keep them honest but I'll support them when I can.

19. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I only posted 3rd gen motors. Let us know how they all turn out!

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Did not get as far into the project as I would have liked to this weekend.

The motor is out. I thought I had a runner lined up to throw in the bike while I rebuilt the current one. The guy was supposed to call me back yesterday and didn't so we'll see what happens.

Rolled the frame out into the street and gave her a good pressure washing. Don't expect much to happen this week short of locating parts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]