20 AMP blown fuse Electrical issue - 2000 VFR800 will not start (no fuel pump sound)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by vf750j, Apr 3, 2010.

1. vf750j

vf750j New Member

I have a 2000 VFR800 and just today solved an electrical problem. I had read through many forums in VFRD and VFR World and while none of them directly lead me to the problem, I found them very insightful. As a result, I feel I have a "civic duty" to share what happened in case it helps someone else.

The bike had been working fine. One day, I replaced the chain and front sprocket myself but when I went to test ride it, the whirring sound of the fuel pump was not there. Within about 1 second, there was a little "click" from the back of the bike. The starter cranked over plenty but there was no sign of combustion.
    A quick check of the fuse box revealed that the 20 Amp PGM IGN fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and blew the new one in the same way instantly.

I proceeded to tear the bike apart looking for all sorts of signs that the various forums had described and cringed at the thought that maybe, somehow, I had fried the harness in some obscure, invisible location.

Logic told me that I had to have done something during the chain replacement I had just finished but after tearing off all of the fairings and gaining access to every possible nook and cranny, there was no sign of any electrical shorting. I took the opportunity to apply dialectric grease to all connectors I checked.

I then remembered that a fellow VFR owner had posted a comment in a forum where he mentioned that his faulty O2 sensor caused his 20 amp fuse to blow. While I did not see the connection, I thought that I could at least eliminate that as a possibility.

Well low and behold, while replacing the front sproket/hydraulic clutch cover during the chain replacement, I had (just barely) pinched both O2 sensor wire bundles. On the first, the pinch had just superficially damaged the wire bundle's sheath. On the second O2 Sensor wire bundle, the pinch caught 1 wire (only) inside the sheath, the white one. A quick soldering job and some electrical tape and viola, the bike fired up.

Hopefully, this will be helpful to someone else one day.