Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Country
    Thanks

FMF exhaust for VFR800 is finally here!

As you likely know, FMF is one of the (if not THE) finest aftermarket exhaust companies for off-road motorcycles. A few years ago FMF started a new division (known as APEX) that builds exhaust for street bikes. While APEX initially only offered its wares for full-on sports bikes, it is now expanding its line to incorporate other models ... including the 2003-2009 Interceptor VFR800. I recently installed FMF's new system on my 2007 25th Anniversary Interceptor and I love it. Noted below are my thoughts regarding the system:

1. I almost spent the time/money to do the "hollow-out" trick for my factory exhaust, but decided not to as the sound can be somewhat sharp/raspy at mid/high rpm. The FMF system offers a very nice, very throaty sound that is more of a growl than a wail. At my work a guy regulary rides in on an RC51 ... and my VFR with the FMF exhaust now sounds very similar to the RC51.

2. The FMF exhaust pipework is constructed of mandrel-bent, larger diameter, polished stainless-steel. The mufflers are constructed of a combination of carbon fiber and titanium. Overall, the FMF system is 12 pounds ligher than the factory exhaust. Of particular benefit, that's a 12 pound reduction from the worst possible place to have weight on a bike ... up high. Thus, the VFR is now less top heavy.

3. On a chassis dyno, the VFR made 7 more peak horsepower versus stock ... plus it made more average power everywhere throughout the rpm range. Now when I grab a fist full of throttle in First gear, the VFR does a nice wheelie (without clutching it). Next up is a Power Commander V to fully maximize the power potential.

4. While other aftermarket (such as from Two Brothers) exhaust systems for the VFR are nice, most aftermarket systems use somewhat ugly clamp assemblies (that wrap around the outside of the mufflers) to mount the exhaust. The FMF mufflers have integrated mounting tabs that not only look much nicer/cleaner, but are lighter than the big clamp assemblies.

5. The FMF mufflers are available in two build choices: carbon fiber body with titanium ends (that's what I opted for) or titanium body with carbon fiber ends (nice, but it didn't seem to blend in as nicely with my bike's colors).

6. I tried to find a hyperlink showing the complete FMF/APEX system for the VFR, but all I can find is a link that shows the mufflers used ...
    Products - Street - FMF Racing

If I can find a better hyperlink then I'll post it later.

7. The cost of the FMF titanium/carbon full exhaust system is $999 ... which seems to be about the same price as most other aftermarket systems.

8. If someone can share with me how to upload photos to this posting, then I would be happy to post a few shots of my bike with the new FMF exhaust system.

Country
    My Ride
    2- 85 vf1kr's. 1-vf500. 1- 98 tl1000r. 1- 03 turdblo busa. 1- 1400 intruder le
    Thanks
    all i want is an aftermarket system for my vf1kr
    fight the power. Google maps latitude. Moeraetrans@gmail.com . U can watch my wife and I travel the country we are always moving. Really easy to do if u have and Android phone.

booty prez

Country
    My Ride
    1999 VFR800fi 2003 VFR800 VTEC
    Thanks

Country
    Thanks
    Here is a rear shot that I took of my bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. The Following User Says Thank You to John Kiewicz For This Useful Post:

rienge01 (06-08-2010)

Country
    Thanks
    Here is a close-up of the FMF system.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to John Kiewicz For This Useful Post:

rienge01 (06-08-2010)

Country
    Thanks
    This weekend, if I can find the print-out of the dyno graph (showing stock exhaust versus FMF/APEX exhaust) then I will post it.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2007 RWB ABS
    Thanks
    Looks nice John!
    The angles kinda suite the VFR styling. Are both cans functional or is one a dummy/ storage canister like the Two Brothers system?

Sound clip would be nice if you can get one.
    Jethro911_Moncton New Brunswick

Crest Wearing 6th gen militia Member #259

2007 RWB ABS

Previously enjoyed VFRs
    (1) 2007 RWB 25th
    (2) 2002 red 6th gens
    (2) 1998 red 5th gens
    (2) 1990 and 1991red 3rd gens
    (1) 1983 white and blue 1st gen

Country
    My Ride
    Y2KVFR
    Thanks
    FMF? had one of there bicycle frames as a kid. I'll stick with my Staintune! My VFR will pull up in second with only a handful of throttle.

Country
    My Ride
    02 VFR (sold) 07 VFR RWB 06 1000RR 70's era skateboard
    Thanks
    More pics, John!!!!!1
    Now gag it!

Country
    My Ride
    2004 VFR Asphalt Black
    Thanks
    Looks sweet. I might have actually considered those when I bought my Laser's had they been available. I think that they would look better turned a different angle or swapped sides... hard to tell without a direct shot of the back of the bike.
    2004 Honda VFR - Asphalt Black - OEM Panniers & Top Case - ProGrip 699's - Throttlemeister - Sargent seat w/ black piping - DDM Tuning 35W HID Low Beams - Carbone Lorraine XBK5 front pads/RX3 rear pads - K&N Air Filter - Laser X-Treme exhaust - Stock 98 Headers coated & wrapped - O2 eliminators - PCIII USB w/custom tune - A&A Perf PAIR block offs - de-snorkeled/flappered/evaped - Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's - Motul 300V 10W-40 - Race Tech'd forks - Penske 8983 - ASV levers - more to come...

Country
    Thanks
    I would rather have a $1000 dollars in my pocket to travel this summer than that overpriced muffler.

Thats all it is - an overpriced muffler.
    Those manufacturers should be ASHAMED to be taking all your money for those mufflers.
    Just my opinion.

You could take that $1000 dollars and buy a wire feed Miller welding machine and make $10,000 dollars!!

My mufflers $65.00 for the pair and $6.00 for two HD baffles.
    VALUE=Priceless!!! LOL

Anyway I am happy for you getting your new exhaust!!
    I just do not like seeing young guys work all summer for some mufflers.
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-05-2010 at 10:21 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to donald branscom For This Useful Post:

vwrxtrd (06-06-2010)

Country
    My Ride
    is an '08
    Thanks
    Congrats John, nice looking set. At the risk of offending someone, may I suggest a legit fender eliminator? I think it would go a long way in cleaning the rear up and giving some extra pop to the new chimneys.

Country
    Thanks
    While some aftermarket VFR exhaust systems employ a dummy muffler or a storage muffler on one side, the FMF system makes use of two functioning mufflers.

Side by side with a VFR with hollowed out factory exhaust, the FMF system sounds sooooooo much better. I've seen/heard the Two Brothers system ... which is very nice. However, I prefer the look and the cleaner install of the FMF system ... but that's just my opinion.

As for the rear fender eliminator kit, a true eliminator kit would look better. However, I did the quickie (free) version using a cut-off wheel (a hacksaw would work too). Not perfect, but better.

Country
    My Ride
    2004 VFR Asphalt Black
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    I would rather have a $1000 dollars in my pocket to travel this summer than that overpriced muffler.

Thats all it is - an overpriced muffler.
    Those manufacturers should be ASHAMED to be taking all your money for those mufflers.
    Just my opinion.

You could take that $1000 dollars and buy a wire feed Miller welding machine and make $10,000 dollars!!
    My mufflers $65.00 for the pair and $6.00 for two HD baffles.
    VALUE=Priceless!!! LOL

Anyway I am happy for you getting your new exhaust!!
    I just do not like seeing young guys work all summer for some mufflers.
    That may be true but a lot of us don't possess the necessary metal working skills to utilize such a welder, let alone work the metal as needed to get things to look right. The market is severely overpriced in the area and it is most certainly a bunch of bullshit but for many of us, there is little we can do other than pay up.
    2004 Honda VFR - Asphalt Black - OEM Panniers & Top Case - ProGrip 699's - Throttlemeister - Sargent seat w/ black piping - DDM Tuning 35W HID Low Beams - Carbone Lorraine XBK5 front pads/RX3 rear pads - K&N Air Filter - Laser X-Treme exhaust - Stock 98 Headers coated & wrapped - O2 eliminators - PCIII USB w/custom tune - A&A Perf PAIR block offs - de-snorkeled/flappered/evaped - Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's - Motul 300V 10W-40 - Race Tech'd forks - Penske 8983 - ASV levers - more to come...

Country
    My Ride
    07' VFR800 Candy Glory Red
    Thanks
    This is awesome John!
    I saw an ad for FMF APEX in a sportbike mag and instantly fell in love with the look/design. I couldn't find pix anywhere of what they would look like on the 07 so, thanks for posting this!!
    I would love to see them from a level full-on side profile as well as an eye-level view from the side; and agree with Meatloaf - a direct shot of the back of the bike, like perpendicular to the license plate.

Above all though I REALLY want to hear them!!! Is there any way you can post a sound clip for us?!??!

Country
    My Ride
    2007 VTX 1300C, 03 VFR (gone 8/21/10)
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Unique look... I like it a lot!

Country
    Thanks
    rienge01,

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some photos of the FMF system. Not quite sure how to make/send an audio track of the exhaust sound ... so if you PM me your phone number I'll fire up the bike to let you hear it via good ol' AT&T.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rienge01 View Post
    This is awesome John!
    I saw an ad for FMF APEX in a sportbike mag and instantly fell in love with the look/design. I couldn't find pix anywhere of what they would look like on the 07 so, thanks for posting this!!
    I would love to see them from a level full-on side profile as well as an eye-level view from the side; and agree with Meatloaf - a direct shot of the back of the bike, like perpendicular to the license plate.

Above all though I REALLY want to hear them!!! Is there any way you can post a sound clip for us?!??!
    HERE IS THE VIDEO!!!
    Try this:
    TURN YOUR SOUND UP.

View My Video
    Last edited by donald branscom; 06-08-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Country
    My Ride
    2006 VFR800 Pearl White
    Thanks
    Well I don't see the option to buy left and right, so I'm going to assume the $550 is for both pipes? I would like to see this directly from the back and level side shot. Of all the aftermarket pipes I've seen, these are the first that appeal to my taste.
    I can feel the love!!!

Mods:
    Fender Eliminator
    Power Commander III
    ZG Double Bubble
    Gorilla Paging Alarm
    Proud Member - Sixth Gen Militia - 1st VTEC Battalion

Country
    My Ride
    07 VFR800/abs
    Thanks
    John, Thanks for this post. Those look GREAT! Do they come with baffels? I have not found any pipes yet that I really like untill now. Carbon and Ti, no hanger strap, stainless hook-up pipes and that angled profile,this is what Honda should have done....Anyone say, GROUP BUY?

Country
    Thanks
    I think $550 is for the pair of FMF/APEX mufflers while $999 is for the full FMF system: larger-diameter, mandrel-bent stainless pipe from the cat; stainless Y-pipe; two mufflers; mounting hardware; etc.

While you could hacksaw off your stock mufflers and install the FMF mufflers, know that the FMF stainless Y-pipe is sooooo much smoother than the crappy crimped/pinched/flat Y-pipe that comes stock.

I'll shoot a photo of the FMF Y-pipe on my bike and post it later today.

Country
    My Ride
    2007 VFR 800 (Non-ABS)
    Thanks
    Any chance you could get the clip on youtube? I'm deployed and the good ole' government won't let me get to the link. Thanks.

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kiewicz View Post
    I think $550 is for the pair of FMF/APEX mufflers while $999 is for the full FMF system: larger-diameter, mandrel-bent stainless pipe from the cat; stainless Y-pipe; two mufflers; mounting hardware; etc.

While you could hacksaw off your stock mufflers and install the FMF mufflers, know that the FMF stainless Y-pipe is sooooo much smoother than the crappy crimped/pinched/flat Y-pipe that comes stock.

I'll shoot a photo of the FMF Y-pipe on my bike and post it later today.
    While the price seems like it's high, it is on par with the other "premium" full exhausts... especially for something that actually looks GOOD, I don't see that being overpriced.

Country
    Thanks
    The first photo is a look at the Y-pipe used with the FMF system. Larger diameter, mandrel bent, stainless-steel tubing is used and the workmanship is spot-on.

The second photo is a rear look at the two FMF mufflers. Notice how the FMF system uses compact mounts built into the top of each muffler that attach directly to the OEM frame mounts ... rather than using ugly/bulky 360-degree mounting straps as used by most other aftermarket muffler setups.

Please discount the dust/dirt on the bike/exhaust/suspension as the bike needs a wash.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John Kiewicz For This Useful Post:

Deadsmiley (09-23-2010), ECHO 800 (06-15-2010), rienge01 (06-14-2010)

Country
    My Ride
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Damn you consider THAT needing a wash ..... you'd be mighty unhappy if you saw my bike...

That's a purdy exhaust!

Country
    Thanks
    VFRBenny,

FMF bicycle frame as a kid? Never heard of it.

I think you might be mistaking it for a DG mx bicycle frame of the early 1980s as DG also offered motorcycle parts and exhaust.

Country
    My Ride
    2004 Honda VFR800, 1978 Suzuki GS1000, 1975 Suzuki TS400, 1994 Suzuki GN125
    Thanks
    The first thing I thought when I saw the side view was why didn't they mount the mufflers the other way?. The Rear view just confirmed it for me. Take a look at what could have been.....

Country
    My Ride
    07 VFR800/abs
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cbr600f4i View Post
    the first thing i thought when i saw the side view was why didn't they mount the mufflers the other way?. The rear view just confirmed it for me. Take a look at what could have been.....

you are so right!

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jfnewton View Post
    Any chance you could get the clip on youtube? I'm deployed and the good ole' government won't let me get to the link. Thanks.
    Who are you asking???

Country
    Thanks
    I don't know why they didn't mount them another direction ... maybe it has to do with a heat/melting or clearance issue. Regardless, everyone who has seen the system loves it ... and is sounds suhhhh-weeeeeeet! Plus, you can't argue with a 7 hp gain and a loss of 12 lbs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast