FMF exhaust for VFR800 is finally here!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by John Kiewicz, Jun 4, 2010.

1. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

As you likely know, FMF is one of the (if not THE) finest aftermarket exhaust companies for off-road motorcycles. A few years ago FMF started a new division (known as APEX) that builds exhaust for street bikes. While APEX initially only offered its wares for full-on sports bikes, it is now expanding its line to incorporate other models ... including the 2003-2009 Interceptor VFR800. I recently installed FMF's new system on my 2007 25th Anniversary Interceptor and I love it. Noted below are my thoughts regarding the system:

1. I almost spent the time/money to do the "hollow-out" trick for my factory exhaust, but decided not to as the sound can be somewhat sharp/raspy at mid/high rpm. The FMF system offers a very nice, very throaty sound that is more of a growl than a wail. At my work a guy regulary rides in on an RC51 ... and my VFR with the FMF exhaust now sounds very similar to the RC51.

2. The FMF exhaust pipework is constructed of mandrel-bent, larger diameter, polished stainless-steel. The mufflers are constructed of a combination of carbon fiber and titanium. Overall, the FMF system is 12 pounds ligher than the factory exhaust. Of particular benefit, that's a 12 pound reduction from the worst possible place to have weight on a bike ... up high. Thus, the VFR is now less top heavy.

3. On a chassis dyno, the VFR made 7 more peak horsepower versus stock ... plus it made more average power everywhere throughout the rpm range. Now when I grab a fist full of throttle in First gear, the VFR does a nice wheelie (without clutching it). Next up is a Power Commander V to fully maximize the power potential.

4. While other aftermarket (such as from Two Brothers) exhaust systems for the VFR are nice, most aftermarket systems use somewhat ugly clamp assemblies (that wrap around the outside of the mufflers) to mount the exhaust. The FMF mufflers have integrated mounting tabs that not only look much nicer/cleaner, but are lighter than the big clamp assemblies.

5. The FMF mufflers are available in two build choices: carbon fiber body with titanium ends (that's what I opted for) or titanium body with carbon fiber ends (nice, but it didn't seem to blend in as nicely with my bike's colors).

6. I tried to find a hyperlink showing the complete FMF/APEX system for the VFR, but all I can find is a link that shows the mufflers used ...
    Products - Street - FMF Racing

If I can find a better hyperlink then I'll post it later.

7. The cost of the FMF titanium/carbon full exhaust system is $999 ... which seems to be about the same price as most other aftermarket systems.

8. If someone can share with me how to upload photos to this posting, then I would be happy to post a few shots of my bike with the new FMF exhaust system.

2. orion3814

orion3814 New Member

all i want is an aftermarket system for my vf1kr

3. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    :worthless:

4. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

Here is a rear shot that I took of my bike.

Attached Files:

5. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

Here is a close-up of the FMF system.

Attached Files:

6. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

This weekend, if I can find the print-out of the dyno graph (showing stock exhaust versus FMF/APEX exhaust) then I will post it.

7. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Looks nice John!
    The angles kinda suite the VFR styling. Are both cans functional or is one a dummy/ storage canister like the Two Brothers system?

Sound clip would be nice if you can get one.

8. VFRBenny

VFRBenny New Member

Map
    FMF? had one of there bicycle frames as a kid. I'll stick with my Staintune! My VFR will pull up in second with only a handful of throttle.

9. checksi6

checksi6 New Member

More pics, John!!!!!1

10. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks sweet. I might have actually considered those when I bought my Laser's had they been available. I think that they would look better turned a different angle or swapped sides... hard to tell without a direct shot of the back of the bike.

11. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    I would rather have a $1000 dollars in my pocket to travel this summer than that overpriced muffler.

Thats all it is - an overpriced muffler.
    Those manufacturers should be ASHAMED to be taking all your money for those mufflers.
    Just my opinion.

You could take that $1000 dollars and buy a wire feed Miller welding machine and make $10,000 dollars!!
    [​IMG]
    My mufflers $65.00 for the pair and $6.00 for two HD baffles.
    VALUE=Priceless!!! LOL

Anyway I am happy for you getting your new exhaust!!
    I just do not like seeing young guys work all summer for some mufflers.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  12. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Congrats John, nice looking set. At the risk of offending someone, may I suggest a legit fender eliminator? I think it would go a long way in cleaning the rear up and giving some extra pop to the new chimneys.

13. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

While some aftermarket VFR exhaust systems employ a dummy muffler or a storage muffler on one side, the FMF system makes use of two functioning mufflers.

Side by side with a VFR with hollowed out factory exhaust, the FMF system sounds sooooooo much better. I've seen/heard the Two Brothers system ... which is very nice. However, I prefer the look and the cleaner install of the FMF system ... but that's just my opinion.

As for the rear fender eliminator kit, a true eliminator kit would look better. However, I did the quickie (free) version using a cut-off wheel (a hacksaw would work too). Not perfect, but better.

14. Meatloaf

Meatloaf New Member

United States
    Map
    That may be true but a lot of us don't possess the necessary metal working skills to utilize such a welder, let alone work the metal as needed to get things to look right. The market is severely overpriced in the area and it is most certainly a bunch of bullshit but for many of us, there is little we can do other than pay up.

15. rienge01

rienge01 New Member

This is awesome John! :thumbsup:
    I saw an ad for FMF APEX in a sportbike mag and instantly fell in love with the look/design. I couldn't find pix anywhere of what they would look like on the 07 so, thanks for posting this!!
    I would love to see them from a level full-on side profile as well as an eye-level view from the side; and agree with Meatloaf - a direct shot of the back of the bike, like perpendicular to the license plate.

Above all though I REALLY want to hear them!!! Is there any way you can post a sound clip for us?!??!

16. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Unique look... I like it a lot!

17. John Kiewicz

John Kiewicz New Member

rienge01,

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some photos of the FMF system. Not quite sure how to make/send an audio track of the exhaust sound ... so if you PM me your phone number I'll fire up the bike to let you hear it via good ol' AT&T.

18. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    HERE IS THE VIDEO!!!
    Try this:
    TURN YOUR SOUND UP.

View My Video

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  19. VFRstar

VFRstar New Member

Map
    Well I don't see the option to buy left and right, so I'm going to assume the $550 is for both pipes? I would like to see this directly from the back and level side shot. Of all the aftermarket pipes I've seen, these are the first that appeal to my taste.

20. ilovheros

ilovheros New Member

Map
    John, Thanks for this post. Those look GREAT! Do they come with baffels? I have not found any pipes yet that I really like untill now. Carbon and Ti, no hanger strap, stainless hook-up pipes and that angled profile,this is what Honda should have done....Anyone say, GROUP BUY?