2007 slow starting

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by LanceUCSD, Jun 21, 2010.

1. LanceUCSD

LanceUCSD New Member

Map
    My 2007 takes a while to start. It starts every time but just takes longer then it should. I just replaced the battery and it cranks faster but still delays in starting. It takes around 3 to 4 seconds of continuous cranking to get it to fire when cold, this is so cal so cold is not that cold. If I stop for a short time it will start up after just a couple of turns but still slower then when I first got the bike. Replaced plugs a couple of months ago, plugs looked good for 16K but replaced anyway, didn't help. I would appriciate any ideas , just don't want to throw money to the dealer. The bike runs fine once started it is only a starting problem at this point.

Thanks for any help.

2. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    Did you check your valve clearances and adjust at the recommended intervals?

3. LanceUCSD

LanceUCSD New Member

Map
    Thanks for the reply - I haven't done the valves yet. I held off due the $600-$800 for the adjustment, I also spoke to the service tech that said they usually aren't out of spec at the 16K service. They didnt have any other thought other then it starts after a few cranks so no big deal. Is slow starting a typical symptom of valve adjustment? I do not hear any valve train noise and the bike runs with no hesitation or power loss. I've done the valves on my old VFR's but not sure I feel like attempting it on this one, process seems painful. Is there any injector or syncronization issues that may cause the slow starting. Has anynone else had this issue that a valve job fixed? At leat it starts all the time just don't like the slow starting. My only other idea is the fuel injectors but again it runs smooth...

Thanks

4. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    When cold gen 6 will crank a little a slow and starting will have a lag if the oil is over filled . Does not take much.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    valve clearances wouldn't have any affect on this.

6. dizzy

dizzy New Member

Map
    Unless they were really tight. I don't think that's it though. Sometimes if I just hold the starter button down mine's the same way. Make sure you wait til the pump is done with it's initial charge. I've had the best luck with a couple short approximately one second starter bursts. I'm satisfied with that.

7. LanceUCSD

LanceUCSD New Member

Map
    Thanks again to all who replyed. I may be a little OCD on this but my bike used to start with hardly a push of the starter button. Now I've been trying to determine the issue for 4 month or so. I've tried the short bursts and it will usually take 4-5 one second shots before it fires and stays running. Once in a while it will fire but not well enough to keep going. I checked oil it was a little over the top mark after sitting for over an hour. I drained a little out and am now sitting about a third above the bottome line. No improvemnt after a few days of commuting. Still starts after 4-5 one second short bursts or holding starter for around 4 seconds. I've had two other vfr'S that always started on the first hit for the most part. It doesnt feel like it's going to leave me stranded but I don't like having to crank it so much while other abused bikes around me start right up. Just Embarrassment I guess. Would there be any issues with the injectors that could cause this? I think electrical would keep it from starting not delaying the start. It just seems like spark or fuel would show signs while running, power issues or running rough, or hesitations.

Again thanks for any ideas.

Later!

8. Dani

Dani New Member

United States
    Map
    Slow starting

Same issue here, magnified at 14 degree Boston weather. Have you figured out why?

9. steven113

steven113 New Member

My guess would be fuel related, Test the fuel pressure regulator to make sure it is within spec. Has the bike sat for any extended period of time that the fuel rail/injectors could be partialy clogged. New plugs and a can of seafoam would not be a bad idea...

10. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

dont worry about the valves, my 02 is very sluggish when the temp drops below 40.
    under 40 it is best to put a battery tender on it if you dont start it every day.

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 5th Gen, but I've noticed the same general thing on mine over the last few months, although maybe 3 seconds to start versus its usual immediate start up.

On a recent ride, I had my FI light come on (and subsequently went off, with no issues since then). Posted up here somewhere, but the response I got was that its possibly the start of the end of the fuel pump.