VFR1200 Exhaust-ing Options

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by VFR12, Jul 5, 2010.

1. VFR12

VFR12 New Member

Unfortunately the aftermarket exhaust options [/B]for the VFR1200 is limited at this time - at least if you are in the USA. Those that I am aware of are as follows:
    - Akrapovic: high and low mount, CF and TI (has valve in mid pipe!)
    - Leo Vince
    - Remus: high mount, also optional low mount mid pipe, PS, CF, TI
    - IXIL
    - Two Brothers, CF, TI; does not look like a high mount but will not permit panniers
    - BOS
    - Laser
    - Devil: *Note - company may have just gone bankrupt, large high mount canister; PS, CF

The other option while waiting for an appealing aftermarket exhaust is to mod the OEM exhaust.
    - Disable the flapper valve
    - Then try this: After disabling the flapper valve... Now remove the chrome cover that houses the 2 exhaust outlets - it is just 3 bolts. Then remove the cover that houses the flapper valve - 3 more bolts. Then replace the chrome cover. You will find that the sound is much better when not going through that funky looking cover with the triangle in the middle of it. And, if you don't like it just put it back.

I also just cut (dremel tool) the triangle out of the middle of the flapper cover. This sounds almost as good - but no triangle cover at all sounds best. Note that the purpose of the flapper cover may be to keep heat from coming into direct contact with the outer stainless steel cover which may discolor with heat - not certain. I am going to try it without the flapper cover for a while and see if I notice and discoloration on the chrome cover.

Overall look better from the back without that triangle cover (IMO).

Any other information??? Ideas???

2. VFR12

VFR12 New Member

Update

Take a look at what I have so far. I may try different canisters but do like the Jardine and the price was right. Note that the mid pipe is a high mount version from Remus. The Jardine canister is a universal fit that I got from eBay. I have about $250 into the whole thing. IMG_0009.jpg

3. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Very nicely done. Quite a long can, I like my short high mount Remus better but that's just me. You happy with the sound?
    I use my Ti Remus sans baffle and recently on an errand around town without ear plugs it sounded awesome!

4. VFR12

VFR12 New Member

I am very happy with the sound. The canister has a 2.25" ID so the sound is deep and because it is long it never gets really loud or raspy. You can hear it at idle and at a stop but on the road you really don't notice it at all. I guess because the outlet is well behind me.

I do like the Remus but never saw one in person so did not want to spend $700 without seeing it first. I have been in contact with the Remus importer in California and they only got the first 2 in the USA about a month ago.

It seems to run good as well but with or without an aftermarket exhaust it could use a Power Commander. My only complaint with the VFR12 is the throttle response below 4000 RPM. Its not terrible but could be so much better.

5. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Same sentiments about the Remus I guess. I hear it at idle but once wind noise takes over that's it.

No real complaints about the throttle response and I'm coming off a Triumph Tiger and have used Tuneboy since I got the Futura in 2003. Not really aching for a Power Commander but if someone should find a fix for that 25 hp dip in 2nd I'd be pretty chuffed. :couch2:

6. CaboWaboDW

CaboWaboDW New Member

I just dropped my bike off at the dealer yesterday to get some routine work done and will be adding a Two Brothers Black Series to her. I hope to have photos in a couple of days.

7. phobe

phobe New Member

Map
    Arrow has one now. They have a crappy annoying flash website so I can't post a link.

8. tmausti

tmausti New Member

United States
    Map
    Exhaust

Pulled the trigger on a 2 bro's carbon....Sounds good and the open flow improved the throttle response greatly! 002.jpg

9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    that's nice