RC51 oil cooler on 5th gen HOW-TO *pics*

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Rangerscott, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

[quote name='RustyA' date='17 July 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1279408607' post='721692']
    Which RC51 oil cooler you going to use? The '00-'01 SP1 or the '02-'06 SP2?
    [/quote]

The 00-01. They are silver and only one port is twisted. The 02-06 are black and both ports are twisted like the 6th gen's.

Here's the three Honda's. From top to bottom. 5th gen - 6th gen - RC51 ('00-'01)

[​IMG]

5th gen cooler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6th gen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

RC51

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see. The ports are a tad bigger.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GSXR 1000

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Got her done.

Loosened the stock cooler and let it hang.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping I wouldn't but I had to drain the oil. I tried using an 8mm wrench, but the bolt started stripping. Had to get a socket on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the oil drains, then you can unbolt the oil lines from the engine.

Left side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luckily the O-rings look brand new. Not even smashed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Might as well wash the lines. Just tiny spot rust here and there. Maybe I'll order new ones or have them powder coated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Time to temporary mount the RC cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The mount on the cooler is more offset than the stock one. It'll be a little closer to the right rad.

[​IMG]

Here's the fun tedious fun part. Bending the lines to fit. You'll be pulling them out and putting back multiple times. The right one I used a rubber mallet. I placed the right oil line on the ground with the cooler mount upward. I smacked it down with the mallet. No science there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The left side you have to twist the oil cooler line where it bolts to the cooler. I used a pair of pliers and my manly strength. Of course a vise would have made it easier.

[​IMG]

Once they're lined up as good as possible, get the engine side ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The middle o-ring is what I used. I also used one smaller one to fit inside that one. Double the sealing. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bolt the oil cooler lines on first, then bolt the cooler to it's brackets second, and last bolt the engine side of the oil lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right side does have a slight problem. Since the line is lowered from the oil rad being taller.

[​IMG]

The left side has no problem with hitting anything.

[​IMG]

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Nice writeup :thumbsup: I need to take my lines off and do some cleaning to, they're lookin a bit shabbier that yours did.

5. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Thanks. There is a big difference in riding temps. It was in the low 90's today and while on the highway the coolant temp was in the 170's. Maybe cooling too much. The coolant temps does go up in traffic as normal but slower. Next I'll be adding some industrial 12v computer looking fans to the back of the rad for when I'm stuck in traffic. It may need to come off in winter time or blocked off.

6. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
    Scott,

How is your cooler holding up this summer?

Did you run across any solutions for the 6th gen mounting?

7. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Interesting, I think the mounting location of the 6th gen cooler makes it practically useless... at least it looks that way.

8. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

Cooler is doing fine. No leaks. I couldn't tell you what the oil temp is since I don't have a temp gauge. I might install one.

The 6th gen cooler can be used. You just have to either bend the metal ends of the oil lines very very carefully OR cut them, configure them, then use metric compression fittings to put them back together. Then have someone TIG a mounting plate on it like the 5th gens. So yea. It's a lot more work.

I'm considering installing a DELTA 12v computer fan on one side of it to turn on when in slow traffic or stopped for a long time. DELTA makes some very powerful computer fans that are LOUD and will blow your hair off.

Now I did have to bend the left oil line to match the offset of the oil rads left inlet. The right side is straight.

9. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
    I thought that the 6th gen mounting location was pretty bad myself. To that end I thought ducting and fans.

About excessive cooling, I imagine that the water cooling system would compansate for cooler oil by keeping the thermostat closed for a little longer. I just don't know how much overlap that would be. I might have to shoot my oil cooler with my laser thermometer and see what kind of oil temp corolates to water temp. A large oil cooler with a vernatherm theremostatic valve would be sweet.

I've also been considering a right side radiator fan. Just have to determine what kind of draw it requires. 1 fan could come on at 200 and both fans at 220.

I recently switched to engine ice and we will see how well it does. I saw 235 degrees the other day and said that was unacceptable. Hence the change to engine ice.

10. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
  11. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

You're just going to be blocking air fliw when putting a fan on the second fan.

12. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

13. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I have been working on this, off and on, for the last month and half. Still trying to get all of the pieces accumulated and machined for a direct bolt up of rc51 cooler to 6g with braided lines and AN fittings. Ordered a brand new 00-01 rc cooler, ordered the fittings for the engine to AN fitting connection. Will work on the oil cooler connections for the AN fittings when the cooler arrives. Cooler will have to get sent to the machinist to make the AN fitting connectors. Wil also shave all of the rc51 mounting points and replace them with the 6g mounting pieces, via mig. Will be using braided stainless lightweight racing hose with the ptfe internal sleeve for the hoses. Heat range of the hose is -90 to +500 degrees. Weight of the hose is 1.51 ozs per foot, with 6' expected total length.

14. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
    How are you accounting for suspension travel? That was the biggest reason that I dropped pursuing this mod on a 6th gen. I just couldn't find the room at full compression for the addition of any more cooler cores. Don't get me wrong I know it would be beniefitial, but if you end up sticking the oil cooler higher in the fairing the benefits will diminish.

15. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I always try to figure things out before I start buying expensive pieces and parts. Outside air temp 85 degreess, oil temp +/- 200 degrees. I wonder if it will still cool?

16. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
    I was refering to airflow. Once you have heated all of the air behind the fairing to 220* it will stop cooling. Previous generations had the cooler significantly lower and in the stream of incoming air.

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I dare you to try to get the air inside your open fairing to 220 degrees.

I will get it to work, and it will work better than stock 6g and there will be no clearance issues.