rotella t6 5-30w/ mobil 1 questions

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jaybo666, Jul 25, 2010.

1. jaybo666

jaybo666 New Member

i'm about to switch to synthetic oil in my 2007. after reading some, i've decided to pick one of these. the question pertains to the additives in each oil. the mobil 1 i saw is just the plain jane 10/30, not the motorcycle 4t oil{too $}. any thoughts ? i'm sure either one will perform well

2. mestoo

mestoo New Member

United States
    Map
    Jaybo:

1. Either one will probably work fine, but be sure that it doesn't doesn't have "energy conserving" in the circular API label. They have anti-friction additives that are not good for the wet clutch. Although I expect neither of these will have it, oils rated JASO MA or MA2 have been specifically tested to demonstrate compatiblility with wet clutch applications.

2. Does Rotella make a T6 synthetic in 5W-30? The only thing I see on the Rotella website is a 5W-40.

Ride safe, have fun.

3. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

They made the engine to run on 40 viscosity. I wouldn't go to 30.

Triple protection - 15w-40 Has Japanese approval thing on back.
    T5 (semi syn)- 10w-40 or 10w-30 Does not have Jap approval on back
    T6 (full syn) - 5w-40 Has jap approval on back.

I would like to run the T6, but 5w is for extreme cold weather. I'm not going to run that when its 100F outside. Maybe they'll come out with a 10w or 15w.

4. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map

The 07s and newer call for 10w-30. Unless the tolerances or suddenly tighter etc. I think you will be fine with the 5w-40. Otherwise you will find 10w-30 for the bike hard to come by other than oem. Now, that said, 10w-30 syn does exist like mobil 1. It will not be motorcycle specific which is not needed. Just make sure. You do not use the energy conserving oils (the lower part of the API seal on the rear of the bottle. Good luck with your choice.