Spark Plug replacement on a 6th gen - not as easy as the manual makes it look?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by hazelberg, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hazelberg

hazelberg New Member

Canada
    Map
    My 2002 VFR800's odometer just turned 32,000 km and I'm in the process of replacing the original plugs with some new Denso Iridium plugs. I've got the gas tank elevated and my trusty hex keys ready...but I can't seem to budge the hex bolts that are holding the plug hardware?...and that's the front left plug that's the EASIEST to access!!? Anybody find an easier way of replacing all 4 plugs?

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I had no issue on my 06. I used my Allen set (looks look a pocket knife) it takes a good crank and pop. Once the initial break loose, it is all easy.

Few Hints.... Pull both faring off and the black plastic cowl in front of the engine.

Change your oil, filter and flush and change your coolant....then 20 mins on the plugs and you are done. The oil and coolant was just ot take advantage of the aggravation of taking the faring off and making whole thing worth while.

Do not over tighten the plugs.. Once it stops spinning give it one more half turn. Then back out. Then spin till it stops then give it a quarter turn.

I found the plug on the right side under the tank to be the most difficult.

Use a couple wraps of electrical tape to hold the sprocket to the extention so you don't leave the socket down int the head with the plug.

I think that is it.. All I can offer... Oh yeah. I love the Densos they are great plugs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  3. shorawitz

shorawitz New Member

Map
    What is the purpose of the "Seat it then half turn back out then set it and quarter turn"? And are you using a torque wrench and if so, what lb-age?

4. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    No torque wrench. It is how to seat a plug with a gasket type seat. That little metal ring on the threads Is a gasket you are fitting to the head.
    By backing out and returning it quarter turn you will have a good seat and be able to get it out next time you need to change or inspect.

If you read the manual it will mention how to seat and Also, when inspecting the plugs you only need a quarter turn past tight. Tight means stops spinning freely not hand tight. More like finger tight. Also the bike has aluminum heads. Over tightening the plugs can cause you issues. If you use a torque wrench, it is abbot 18-20lbs if.
    The gasket is like the crush washer on your oil drain plug. Gasket.

5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

the hex head bolts that hold the coils down are a dissimilar metal from the heads themselves, not too mention the quality of the steel is crap. my guess is that they are now fused to the head. I would especially believe this because you said you had just passed 32k km's and were working on the front plugs first...these get all of the nasty road grime off the front tire and this certainly doesn't help the situation. There is no free lunch here, the coils must come off to get the plugs out. Get yourself mentally prepared for when you strip the hex out, or snap the head off....I switched mine to 6mm hex flange bolts with anti sieze, as I could see the potential for disaster.

6. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Would penetrating oil help at all?

7. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

the design and mounting of the components will make this difficult. my thought would be that this would end up being ineffective.

8. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    pair of pliers and a blow torch....

in all seriousness, get yourself a broken screw extractor kit to have on hand if the heads snaps off the retainer screws or if the threaded portion breaks off during removal. If the hex head is stripped out, dip the hex key in oil and then dirt, this will provide some "grip" as it is fitted back into the hex slot.

9. elwray

elwray New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck to the OP....

Thanks for the tip, Marcellus Wallace.

10. hazelberg

hazelberg New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for all the responses. I had to completely remove the gas tank to get enough leverage with my hex wrenches to get the rear cylinder plug retainer bolts off...but they eventually yielded! :mad: The Denso plugs warn against any gapping because of potential damage to the plug, so I checked the factory gap and it seemed to be similar to the old plugs? As for the 1/2 turn, 1/4 turn...the old plugs seemed to be tightened down pretty good??...and they were the factory originals? So I'm going with the 1/2 turn.

11. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok good to hear you got them out. Plugs will tighten up over time in the head which may be why they felt tight to get them out but your probably fine. Yeah gapping them can break the electrode since it is so small and fine to start with. Densos give a good spark and are a great replacment plug.

Now go ride and enjoy