CLUTCH Problems

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Dainius_M, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    Hello, have problem...
    Couple days ago I ride my VFR 2001, and it started to lose speed... but don't to lose acseleration... till I stopped and cant move any gear...
    I dismantle clutch.
    I found black disks... http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/HJ0706053006.gif and I cant found 13 and 6 parts... maybe it burned?
    I think that when I done burnout till tyre explode... i have burned clutch disks....
    I count that there where 8 disks and 7 plates... but in manual shown that 9 disks and 8 plates... where is the true?
    Can YOU help me?

Sorry for my language my english is very poor....

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Well, I don't quite understand how you could be losing speed but still have acceleration with a burned out clutch, but maybe I'm missunderstanding something. The parts you say are missing are a friction spring and spring seat. I could see how these could have been overheated and possibly went to bits in the crankcase so that they would not be there anymore. I seriously doubt that the bike would have still been rideable if you had burned out entire clutch discs and sent them through the engine. I think you should rebuild the clutch with new friction discs, new steel discs, and replace the friction spring and seat that seem to be missing. If you order a clutch kit from EBC or Barnett they should come with the correct number of clutch discs that you will need for the job, the friction spring and seat you will probably have to get from Honda. I hope this helps some, don't worry about the poor english, us Americans don't speak it very well either!!!

3. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    My clutch started to slip :) (about speed and acseleration)
    http://www.bikebandit.com/assets/schematics/Honda/HJ0706053006.gif
    When I dismantle clutch, I can't found 13 and 6 parts. Maybe in 2001 model it not supose to be...
    On Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories ? BikeBandit.com Honda vfr 800 1999 parts list there is 13 and 6 parts to order, but in 2001 there no these parts to order. Does someone changed clutch on 2001 vfr? Where is the true?
    On Manual wrote that it have to be 13 and 6 part (seat judder spring and judder spring) and first disk have to be bigger than others, but in my 2001 vfr all discs are the same, and the no 13 and 6 parts....

4. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    anyone changed clutch to 2001 vfr?

5. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I changed mine on the 99, very simple to do, only a little more difficult than changing the oil. I think reg has a write up somewhere on the site. Just make sure to order an engine cover gasket also.

6. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
  7. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
  8. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    If you aren't seeing those parts in a diagram for a 2001 then that diagram is probably wrong. You should have the #6 and #13 parts, yours may have disintegrated (fell apart) when your clutch burned up.

I agree with Metallican above, order all new parts: friction plates, steel plates, and the missing #6 & #13 parts. Clean the engine really well in that area and make sure you've cleaned all the old gasket material off both the engine and the case cover before installing a new gasket.

Clutches are easy to replace, so you shouldn't have any problems; just follow the manual and don't over-tighten the bolts when putting everything back together. ...be sure to tighten the 5 bolts that hold the clutch basket together in a criss-cross patern.

Here is the diagram (just like the one you posted) for a 2001 VFR from BikeBandit.com which shows the parts you say your clutch is missing:
    2001 Honda VFR800FI INTERCEPTOR Parts, 2001 Honda VFR800FI INTERCEPTOR OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Good luck with the clutch rebuild. ...and maybe take it easy on the burnouts! :)

9. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    This diagram is the same for 1998-2001 but in list there are no 13 and 6 parts. And my VFR cluth was orginal not changes and it doesnt fell apart... I count that there where 8 disks and 7 plates... but in manual shown that 9 disks and 8 plates... where is the true?
    because there inposible to set 9 disks and 8 plates

http://www.trwmoto.com/_obj/downloads/de/07_Kupplungen_gesamt.pdf
    Shows that I need MCC 153-9
    But plates MES 330-7
    9 disks 7 plates....

if you look closer there diferent plates number and disc numbers for 1998-1999, 2000 and 2001