keeping carbs clean

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jahlov420, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    a year ago at 43,000 miles i had my carbs cleaned. i'm at 53,000 miles and they still run perfect. is there anything i should do to keep them clean? i always run the bike nearly everyday and in the winter i ride at least once a week to keep the gas flowing. is there anything special i should do to keep the carbs healthy?

2. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    My Blackbird is 12 years old, carbs never been apart, I run Shell V Power or Chevron Premiun, drain the bowls every couple years. My CBR1000f was 14 years old never had the carbs off. If you must run cheap fuel with no additives run seafoam thru it once in awhile. Of course I don't let them sit and gum up. It seems some of the new fuel additives they're using work, I took the carb off my XR650R and the intake valves were still spotless wit 13k on it, only ran V Power in it, no seafoam ever.

3. jahlov420

jahlov420 New Member

Map
    i always use premium fuel unless i'm riding deep country roads and can only find a hole in the wall gas station. i've only had to do that maybe 3 times. so basically i just need not let it sit for long periods of time and it will be fine?

4. captb

captb New Member

United States
    Map
    You can add StaBil if it sits and keep the tank full to reduce condensation.

5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Good fuel, stabil, seafoam every oncw in a while. Running it is best. I ride back roads in VA and I know how hard it is to find a station that isnt mom and pop. Fuel quality can be questionable.

6. Davis5g

Davis5g New Member

Map
    Stabil if the bike is gonna sit through the winter, then in the spring the first tank of gas i put in gets a healthy dose of seafoam. Worked great on the old kawa, and i plan to do it to my 99 even though its fuel injected.