Replacing fork seals on 5th gen VFR800

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mikkels, Nov 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mikkels

mikkels New Member

I have just acquired a low k VFR with a leaky left fork. Pulled apart on the weekend. The dust seal was cracked and the top of the oil seal was caked with dirt. Took an hour to get the seal out ruining the bushes in the process. All good as parts are cheap. My tip is, if you notice your dust seals are cracked replace before more stuff happens.

Question how do you install new seals without one of those fancy tools and also I have some pitting on the hard chrome about three quarters of the way up to the bottom clamp. Suggestions are welcome about how to deal with this.

2. rccaulfield

rccaulfield New Member

You can gring the rubber of the old seal and use it a tool 4 tapping down the new seal. If the stanchion section is out of the travel of the oil seal id just sand it back a bit and keep it polished up every now and then. You can get them rechromed if needs be, i'm not a believer in quick fixes for pitting tbh!

3. mikkels

mikkels New Member

Update. I have replaced the seals and now putting the forks back together. I installed the seals using a piece of exhaust pipe scrap obtained from a muffler shop. Seemed to work fine. Was able to tap down gently all square and no damage to the seals. Back on the road this weekend.

Don

4. daveyto

daveyto New Member

Alternatively it can be done with a piece of PVC plumbing pipe with a slit cut lengthwise through it and some large hose clamps to adjust the diameter.

Hope you know what I am talking about...but easy as pie!!

Glad you back in action!

5. mikkels

mikkels New Member

That is a trick I did not know about. Thanks for the tip.

Don

6. Dragone19

Dragone19 New Member

How did you repair the pitting? My ride is showing this as well. If that is in the travel range, then your new seals will not last long.

The pvc and hose clamp works. I still prefer the weighted drivers (the solid feel of the seal seating maybe? dunno), and for $35 that will fit a variety of rides out there if you planned on working on other forks that is.

7. mikkels

mikkels New Member

I gave the pitted areas a very light rub with 1200 wet and dry and then coated with silicon spray. I think it's a matter of now using some metal polish and silicone polish once a month to keep it at bay. My pitting is up the fork a ways probably out of normal range of seal movement but needs to be watched.

Cheers.