Fork seal change on a 6th gen... what parts.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Junyr, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    I'm going to tear into my forks soon since my left fork is showing signs of leakage. What parts on a 6th gen are typically replaced during a fork seal swap?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have the honda shop manual on the way, I've just never broken a set of forks down.

Chip

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Would think just a set of FACTORY HONDA fork seals and some quality fork oil should be all you need. You did not state the miles but I would not think wear would be an issue unless your a nut burger and put a million miles on it already. There will be others along soon to say aftermarket seals are just as good as the OEM.........they are wrong. Order the Honda seals.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    4-6 beer time estimate.

4. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    I was only asking due to people saying they've replaced bushings and soem other parts other than the seals. The bike is at 24k miles right now. I noticed at the end of last summer just a bit of dirt and gunk forming aroudn the seal area so I thought I'd give it a go. I'd like digging into things and like saving the $260 or so the local bike shop changes them for.

5. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    The bushngs, seals, wipers and retaining clips are like $75 for honda parts then fluid is like $12.

6. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    OEM fork seals. That's what Race Tech suggested. BUT, more importantly that's what TC suggested.:biggrin:

7. Spike

Spike New Member

When you get the manual, go thru the instructions step by step, from that you should be able to come up with a parts list.
    A little trick I like to use too is when I do something for the first time, and I am ordering the parts, write down the part number next to the instruction or image, that way next time you are doing that same thing, you already have the part numbers. It also helps when the parts come in, or if you don't get to the project for a while, and you can't remember which part goes where. You simply match the part number on the bag/box, with what you have written down in the instructions.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Suggestions ??

Slightly loosen the fork caps while forks are still mounted on bike. Wash out the forks several times with the solvent of your choice, and place them upside down to drain. You might need special help to spin off the bottom bolt, usually done with an impact driver. Consider replacing the washer on the bottom bolt. Be sure to carefully study the FSM cuz cartrige forks are different from standard ones and a bit harder to get the proper oil level set.

Go over the fork tubes with a green scotchbrite pad to make sure no bug guts, tar or anything there could cut the new seals, and keep the tubes clean and free of dat shit, especially the bug bits, which sometimes need cleaning after every ride.

9. Junyr

Junyr New Member

Map
    I saw on VFRD a good write up by BaileyRock in their maintenance secion. I'm going to use the FSM and print off the user created procedure from VFRD.

Thanksf or all the adivce and suggestions!

You guys rock!

10. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Starting with the VFR800's Honda/Showa went with a new type of bushing that are much better. On the forks that I service they are almost never worn. I would assume that yours are ok and only replace them if you notice excessive wear while you have them apart.