87 vfr leaking carb bowl

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by srutherford, Mar 2, 2011.

1. srutherford

srutherford New Member

I have an annoying carb leak appears from a bowl im dreading removing the carb banks help suggestions parts and how to

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Plenty of help on the search function..... or do you need us to go over the whole subject again ?? Most everything you need is in the FSM, and don't consider doing anything without it.

Before starting you need to determine whether you have a bad float bowl gasket or float needle.

If you're lucky, sometimes float bowl gaskets that have been dry for several months will swell, expand and seal up after 2-3 days exposure to fuel, so keep fuel in bowls by cranking it over .

Above all, don't separate the airbox from the group of carbs or you'll regret it.

3. srutherford

srutherford New Member

Ok so if I do remove them I leave th plate atached thanx for the tip

4. srutherford

srutherford New Member

O and can't I download the manual some were I trued and failed

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Things will go wrong quickly if you have not read and studied the manual, so get your download organized or actually buy the book on ebay or from the dealer.

You could ask for download help from ANYONE on this forum, and they would all know more than me how to do it.

6. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Hi +1 on the leave the fuel in the bowl and it should seal it self up after a few days. You can't just buy the float bowl seal ,you have to buy the whole kit for each carb. If you do strip the carbs, just wrap the old seal in a petrol soaked rag and put it a sealed container for a few days and it will swell enough to reseal.I did this on my 86 VFR this winter , saved about £35 x 4 :) Taking the carbs out for the first is a bit of a pain ,so is trying to get them back in if your hard carb rubbers are 25 years old ! Hope this helps. AL