Son of a b*tch!

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Pcohen, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

I was adjusting the valve clearances on my 1000 and I found this shit! DAMMIT

[​IMG]

Luckily there still are a few places with OEM cams for a reasonable price of $150. I checked the rocker arm and it didn't look scored or scratched at all.. should I replace it anyways?

A few more pics for your enjoyment:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dominator

Dominator New Member

how many miles do you have on it, is this the first time you have adj the valves?
    I would investigate why it happened oil feed etc .Also you can get the cams hard welded and reground so don't throw the old ones away.

3. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

It's got 56k on it! I've only put 1500 miles on it and this is the first time i've adjusted the valves

With 56k im really not supprised this has happened.. i guess just dissapointed i couldn't put it back together and ride today. I imagine it has probably been like this for a while.. I know the Dave Dodge oiling mod has only been on it since 50k miles.

I was curious about this regrinding process and if it would be quite a bit cheaper. If not I'll just buy new cams because it probably needs them anyways!

4. Dominator

Dominator New Member

I used to use Joy Cams in England for most of my stuff but have also used Megacycle in the States.
    Basically they build up the cams and followers with weld and then reprofile them to either stock or one of their grinds.
    It's been about 15 years since I have had this done so give them a call. It used to be about 30% less than buying new cams and the hard finish is far superior to the Honda finish.
    Having said that $150 seems reasonable for the new ones if they will last another 56,000 miles.
    Good Luck

5. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Bummer about the cam wear. If I could suggest, it may also be a good time to check the journal/cam clearances. The FSM will have more info on this.

Megacycle offers hardfaced cams (and rockers) for most of the VF lineup but I am not sure about the VF1000F. More info can be found here:

Megacycle Cams

On a side note, great looking Piper Pawnee in the background. Looks like a very nice place to turn some wrenches!

Good luck with the cams and please keep us posted.

6. Dominator

Dominator New Member

Yikes!
    Just looked at the Megacycle website for current prices. $688 for the four cams. $64 for each rocker arm. Go with the factory ones at $150.

7. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

Hey great idea there on the journal clearances!

Thats an Air Tractor 802! 1450 hp free spinning shaft turbine with a maximum payload of 8,000lbs. In comparison, a Piper Pawnee is a 260hp gas burner with a useable payload of about 1000lbs on a cold day and a lot of runway. A Pawnee is about as big as the 172 you can see under the wing on the right side. 802 is a big ole boy!

Dominator - I just checked megacycles out too and i believe i'll just stick to some OEM replacements!

8. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the 411 on the AT802. Amazing, 1450 hp! That must wake up the neighbors ;-)

If I could ask, where are you ordering the Factory cams from? If you could please post a photo when you receive, I understand the cams went through several evolutions to help improve the oil flow.

9. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    Never mind, I can see the braided oil lines in the first picture.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  10. Knife

Knife Member

United States
    Nice garage!

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    ......another VF owner BIT IN THE TUSHY !!!

12. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    I'd rather look at this as one happy VF as this bike was lucky in finding a respectful owner who is willing to put in the effort to restore a classic.

Always great to see.

13. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

This VF must have had a slew of respectful owners! I dare anyone to find another F model with 56k miles on it. This bike has been taken care of it's whole life and hopefully it will last me a long time. Due to the mileage and the model I dont expect it to but maybe it will exceed my expectations.

I'm gong to order the cams from cycle parts wharehouse. As far as I know they only came out with one cam upgrade for the 1000F. I may be wrong about that. The ones I have found online all seem to be the newer version and the ones in my bike are also the newer style. I think the difference is a few oiling holes and the ends of the shafts are drilled out. My bike has the oiling kit so it probably wouldn't really matter which style I get. Ill post some pics when I recieve them. Hopefully i can get her back together later next week

14. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
  15. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    If I could ask, could you please post a photo or two of the 'evolved' cam design? Thx.

16. Pcohen

Pcohen New Member

Sure ill take some photo's of everything when I get the cams and put them in.

Thanks for that link dutch I'll be sure to check that out!

17. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I couldn't tell from the posts (I may have missed it...) if you were going to replace the rockers. I would, if it were my bike, just because I'd be afraid of them trashing the new cams (and themselves).

It USED to be common practice on American V-8's to always keep the same lifter with the same cam lobe when a motor was apart, just because mixing them up usually destroyed parts. But like most of the info I tucked away carefully into my memory, it is dated (like 30+ years...). It may not be true anymore.

18. karl61

karl61 New Member

For us noob's can you circle the area that is bad - is it at two oclock in the picture....what causes it. Is this what is called a pitted cam. And what is the risk of leaving it like it is.

19. Dominator

Dominator New Member

Those missing bits of metal gotta go somewhere. If they end up in the oil galleries or other bearing parts you will be needing more than $150 to fix it.
    Can be caused by revving a cold engine, poor oil feed, incorrect clearances or defective hardening of the cam lobes.

20. karl61

karl61 New Member

"Those missing bits of metal gotta go somewhere"

Thank you!