2005 VFR 800 won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by sigzero, Apr 30, 2011.

1. sigzero

sigzero New Member

I have a 2005 VFR 800. I have a new battery. When I turn the key all the lights come on. When I flip the red switch I hear the whine of the FI. The bike is in neutral. When I depress the starter button...I hear nothing (but the light goes off like it should).

I am thinking fuse. What say you?

2. woobie

woobie New Member

Map
    If the starter's not even turning over or even clicking I'd start with the fuses and go from there.

3. toyz4roy

toyz4roy New Member

Map
    I had a new battery ( 1 month old) that measured good but as soon as you hit the started the voltage dropped. Jumped the bike to confirm the battery was dead, turned out one on the plate broke loose.

4. sigzero

sigzero New Member

Yeah, no clicking. Sometimes the manual I have isn't very clear where to start so i wanted a second opinion.

Thanks!

5. TonyH.

TonyH. New Member

Map
    Non Starter

If your starter fuse and main fuses are both good, check your relay next. Your relay should click if it's working, if not, switch off and disconnect the connector from the starter relay and do a continuity check between the green/red terminal of the connector and a good ground source with an ohmmeter. If you've got a Honda service manual or the Haynes service & Repair Manual, follow the Electrical Starter Troubleshooting procedure, it could be anything from your neutral switch to your sidestand switch.

6. stevekoko

stevekoko New Member

I would check the ground cable first. An easy way to check connections:Take a volt meter, set it on the 2 volt scale. yes, [I2 volt scale Put the pos and neg. leads across the connection you want to check. NOW WITH THE LEADS CONNECTED across the suspect connection TRY THE STARTER If you get a reading of 2 tenths of a volt or higher that is a PROBLEM connection.

7. blackhawk

blackhawk New Member

relay

I just had the same problem with my '04. I was lost so I took it to the Honda dealership and it ended being the relay that disengages your headights so that all your power goes to your starter when trying to start the bike. At first, I had to jump the bike then as the day went on my headlight quit working and when I shut the bike down it would not start back up. Even if I jump started it from another bike. Once I disconnected the jumper cables the bike would die again.

8. sunruh

sunruh New Member

United States
    Map
    i know this thread is 9 years old, but this just happened on my 04.
    when i hit the start button. i get a click at the relay (next to battery) but the starter motor does not turn.
    brand new battery just put in
    yes i hear the fuel pump run
    all electrics seem to be fine - all lights, signals, instruments....

where is this relay that turns off the headlights?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020