A word of warning: the VFR1200's rear preload adjuster

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Befbever, May 7, 2011.

1. Befbever

Befbever New Member

If like me, you don't ride two-up all that often, better include the rear preload adjuster in your regular check-up. I turned the adjuster last before the winter and this morning before our ride, I couldn't get it to budge. Some lubricant and a vice grip were needed to make it move again. I'll look at it more closely tomorrow because it still won't move freely enough to turn just by hand.

I have a Technoflex shock with hydraulic preload adjuster on my other bike and even though it's 8 years old and went through 6 winters of riding, the adjuster still turns as easily as when it was new. Without any maintenance at all.

Bit disappointing, really.

2. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    When did you buy the bike? ...at a minimum it should have 1 year warranty (U.S.), as far as I know, U.K. & the E.U. all get 3 years. I'd take it to my dealer and make them repair / replace the shock!

3. Befbever

Befbever New Member

July 2010. Trouble is this dealer is clearly trying to rip me off (so stupid, I've been riding for 30 years) so I want to go to another one. Not so sure if they'd be prepared to change shock and adjuster for a new customer.

Need to think long and hard about this. Clearly the adjuster knob is not in the most convenient place to grip the knob properly. I suppose taking the bike to Technoflex to just have one of their quality adjusters fitted would be my preference. No way those a-holes at the dealer where I bought it are touching it.

I don't even know if it's the adjuster knob or the shock's ring that pushes the spring down hydraulically. The bike is my only form of transport so if I disconnect the oil line I'm f***ed.

I'll check with the other dealer first I guess. They had let me ride a demo, I know the mechanic is a really good one, but they didn't want to exchange my Triumph Tiger so I could do nothing else than look for a dealer that would.

I'll keep you posted.

Oh off-topic I know but the Pilot Road 2CT's do make it turn less crispy than the Roadsmarts but they stick like sh*t to a blanket and added a whole new dimension to the stability

4. taylor

taylor New Member

Map
    I've had the same problem with mine - I'm on to rear shock number 3 + I've also had a warpped front disc I'm lucks as my local dealer prides it's self on its customer service ( I've an 08 blade with 21000+ miles on the clock & they still do warranty work on it). I've just passed the 12000 mile mark on the vfr & so far the last shock they fitted is ok

5. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Thanks! Shock number three! :eek:

And do you know which part is sticking?

Riding to Technoflex Suspension in Holland for my other bike tomorrow. If it's just the adjuster then perhaps they can replace it with one of their own. You never know.

6. taylor

taylor New Member

Map
    It appears to be the adjuster / knob itself as the dealer initially cleaned & lubed the adjuster but the problem came back within a few days. The latest one they fitted seems to be ok (so far)

7. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Thanks for the info! :smile:

It's probably a 5p washer costing Honda a lot more in warranty cases...

8. chris farrell

chris farrell New Member

I have a vfr1200fd with the auto box and mostly it's great but the rear shock is hopeless, especially if you want to use the performance that the engine offers.

the rear preload has seized solid, 2nd year service due June, around 11,000 miles...

out of interest did Honda guys say whether your replacement shocks were the same product code or is there a different version number?

cheers,

chris,

9. Befbever

Befbever New Member

I guess not coz after less than a year it's now seized again.
    And it's the shock, not the adjuster. Had to miss my bike for a week to get the shock changed and found that on the adjuster part, they only changed the - damaged by a vice - knob.

Think I'll go Wilbers next spring. Have him put in progressive springs and different oil to stop the front from bottoming out.

The guy is in his 50's, races and also owns a vfr1200 with Wilbers front and rear. So pretty sure he'll know what I need.

10. Slash2

Slash2 New Member

Map
    Just checked mine. Garage queen it is. One year old, only 1800 miles, still rain virgin! The adjuster is free as new. I hope I remember to keep it moving over future, dirtier, years.

11. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Showa is a great brand with great quality, but they are not impervious to a problem here and there. Corrosion is one of those. The rebound adjusters on many of their shocks have similar problems. This normally only happens when the bike is ridden in wet/dirty conditions that promote corrosion. I'd suggest pulled the knob off and packing that whole area with a waterproof grease (marine grade stuff). That should prevent any issues.

12. lshark

lshark New Member

my preload adjuster seized up too...made a warranty claim the other day, waiting to hear back from dealer

13. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Mine's seized again. The Honda dealer who replaced it under warranty is no longer a Honda dealer. My wife doesn't ride with me anymore so it's a bit of a non-issue now. About 20k miles now and other things to address.
    Not putting on a new Wilbers or whatever until I have a hugger.

14. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

I'll address it with an Ohlins later this year. Stock suspension never sticks around more than a few thousand miles.

15. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Strange how that's still the case on non-Öhlins suspended stock bikes. On the Triumph Tiger the stock stuff didn't even make it to 1000 miles.

16. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

I should have never, ever, made the mistake of trying Ohlins suspenders. I made that horrific mistake over 10 years ago :( Now when I get a bike, it's not if, it's when. This will be bike #3 with a full Ohlins setup. I'm not buying any new bikes for at least 10 years.

17. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Cornerexit: are we talking off-the-shelf Öhlins or suited to your style, weight etc.?
    Next question would be where? I've had shocks made for me but never an Öhlins.

18. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    As much as people think otherwise, Ohlins shocks are not customized to each rider. The reason people think so is the spring rate is chosen based on their weight - but the internals stay the same for ALL riders. The spring rate is less than half the equation for setting up suspension. They rely on the external adjustment to dial in the performance. Anyone who truly understands suspension will know the external adjustments are simply a fine tuning device.

Every Ohlins shock I've dealt with has needed a valving adjustment of some sort.

19. Befbever

Befbever New Member

Jamie, that's why I asked. I've ridden a souped-up Aprilia RSV '04 with SBK Ohlins forks and an Ohlins shock and it didn't really impress me all that much except for the engine. The owner was a lot younger and lighter than I was.
    I've taken my own bike - Aprilia Futura, don't laugh please - to the Technoflex factory (they're not around anymore) and they not only built the rear shock from scratch but also did the forks. In their very own surprising way. But I'd never had nor have since had better suspension front and rear. In fact when I sold the forks, the new owner was very surprised indeed, even though many riders switched to Falco/RSV/Tuono forks. I never felt the need.

Fine tuning indeed. Thanks for the info. Guess I'll stay away from expensive Ohlins shocks and get a more affordable one. Any shock (like a Wilbers) is going to be better than my current riding skills anyway.

20. JamieDaugherty

United States
    Map
    You get what you pay for: in this case you are paying for a name - not necessarily performance.