84 VF1000 starter

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Bostonshouse, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Bostonshouse

Bostonshouse New Member

When trying to start my bike , I can hear the starter turning and hear that the motor is turning , but it is slow and lethargic. It sounds like it is barely turning. I tested the power going into the solenoid and coming out to the starter . Both are good. I then directly jumped the starter and get exactly the same result. Am I correct in assuming that the starter is bad? If so, will a rebuild kit do the trick/......and if so, how difficult is the rebuild? Looks fairly straightforward , but wanted to make sure.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Can't blame starter unless you've tested battery first and found at least 12 voits on your meter, hopefully a bit more. Since the starter is WORKING hard enough to turn the engine, your most likely problem is the battery, which isn't sufficiently strong to power both the starter AND the ignition system at the same time.

how old is the battery ??

Starter rebuild parts are usually just new brushes and cleaning the armature of carbon dust.

3. Bostonshouse

Bostonshouse New Member

Battery is a week old and reads 12.8 volts. I find it very strange as well that starter would turn well enough to turn the engine at all, but it sounds so lethargic when it is doing it. Just to be sure, I connected a known good 12v marine battery directly to the starter and got the same result though.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    OK, your battery is a week old, not weak and old, and you have more-or-less proved that the starter needs a full inspection.....assuming something inside the engine isn't dragging.

5. Bostonshouse

Bostonshouse New Member

Thanks Squirrel. Just out of curiosity, do you know how hard, or easy it should be to turn the engine manually? I have the cover off and can turn it with a wrench...It takes a bit of effort, but seems to move pretty well

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    A bit of effort is all it should take, so it's time to disassemble the starter motor after studing the manual first.

Starter might need replacement brushes, maybe new bushings at each end.

7. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd suggest getting in there and spraying out the starter brushes with contact cleaner. I think you'll be amazed at how much junk is in there! This doesn't always restore the starter operation back to new again, but it usually makes a big difference. You can get replacement brushes too, if you want to go ahead and replace them it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

8. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    '90-'93 VFR starters bolt right in if you want to replace, probably the '94-'97 too although I haven't tested them myself. '84-'86 Vf1000R starters will also work.

9. TassieDave

TassieDave New Member

Map
    Long time owner, seldom poster, back for a short visit.
    I had similar with my 84 and bought a set of brushes (years ago) before tackling the starter motor. Found a lot of buildup (carbon?) in there. Cleaned things up and tried before fitting the brushes and the starter motor turned like it was new.

10. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed, I've had similar experiences. In fact, usually you dont't to replace the brushes - just cleaning out the carbon dust is enough!

11. Bostonshouse

Bostonshouse New Member

Starter fixed- next question

OK...Turns out that I had a bad insulator in starter. I brought it to a great shop and they repaired it. Now i get a good solid spin. Next problem is no spark at any plug. Question 1- How do I test the coils? Question 2- What else could it be?

12. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

could be a disconnected CDI plug ignition pickup plug, bad plug wires, could be anything.