Clutch won't disengage-'84 VF 700c

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Honda!, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Honda!

Honda! New Member

I searched around, but it doesn't seem that anyone else is having this problem.

The clutch was shot in my '84 VF 700, due to the PO trying to ride around with only 2 cylinders firing (imagine slipping the clutch all the time to get the bike to move). Anyway, I picked up a set of nice looking metal and friction plates of eVil-bay and put them in the clutch basket. After tightening the 5 bolts w/ springs, the clutch will not disengage. I used the correct number of plates (6 friction/5 metal), and I bled the clutch line to make sure that wasn't the problem. The clutch lever will barely pull in even 1/4", and it looks like the whole basket is trying to move, rather than just the pressure plate. Thoughts? I'm having EXACTLY the same problem with a '75 Yamaha XS 650b, and I'm wondering what I could possibly be missing in the clutch assembly stage. Thanks!

2. Honda!

Honda! New Member

Fixed it. Just had to bleed the clutch after installing everything. Just making note so if anybody else ever has this problem, it'll show up in search.