Frame Sliders

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Fizzer, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Does anyone know if you can get any bolt-on frame sliders? Perhaps into the fairing mount, just down from the centre of the fuel tank?

2. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

um bike info is kinda conflicted 2010 vfr800? Last year they made them is 2009at least that is what i thought. Verify posting info and tell us what you looking for. Maybe you guys are still getting new ones there.

3. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Hi Ignorance,
    Yes, they're still making them here. Mine was made in Feb 2010.

4. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Next question do you want a no cut frame slider, or do you not mind cutting a hole?

5. Fizzer

Fizzer New Member

Like I said, I had the fairing off yesterday and when I was replacing it, I thought it would be so good if they made a bolt on slider that fitted into the fairing mount that sits just above the gear lever, and below the fuel tank.

Not really keen on cutting into the reservoir etc.

By the way, the reason why I had the fairing off was to fit a pair of HID bulbs, took the bike out last night for a test, what a huge difference!!!! $12 on Ebay, sweet!!!

Cheers mate.

6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    You have several options for frame sliders for the 6th gen VFR, both fairing cutting required and not. The general concensus is that the kit's that require you to cut the fairing are the most effective and protective. While I understand your want to not cut the fairings, it's not as bad as you think and dosen't look bad either. You have 1.5 choices for this type of kit. 1st and easiest to get is the R&G kit which comes with it's own new coolant reservoir in the kit (coolant reservoir modification/replacement is mandatory with either fairing cut kit). Your other option is to get on VFRD and bribe RADAR to start making more kits or see if he still has any laying around. RADAR's kit is far more labor intensive and requires you to modify stock components for the install (more than the fairings I mean).

I can't remember all the options for no cut kits right now, but I do remember someone on one of the boards trying to mount a slider @ the fairing mount location you are mentioning and it failed miserably. Not the install mind you but the practical testing yeilded major failure if I remember correctly.

7. VFRGeek

VFRGeek New Member

Map
    I really don't think you want a frame slider mounted on a fairing bolt, it's just not strong enough to hold. I bought the LighTech sliders from here:
    LighTech Frame Sliders with Magnesium Pucks (No Cut) - OPPRACING Products
    They mount through the lower part of the frame into the engine block, replacing 2 of the engine mount bolts. I am happy with mine, but agree that the sliders that mount through a hole in the fairing offer better protection, ultimately I may run both. Another guy here has already done this; can't remember who, but scan back in this forum for another thread to see the discussion.

-VFRGeek

Found it! Check out the thread below, lots of lovely pictures, some of them are even on topic! :wink:
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/general-vfr-discussions/35124-anyone-heard-these-frame-sliders.html

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  8. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Keep in mind that things that you bolt to your frame or engine case will force more energy back into your frame or engine if you crash.

In my mind a fairing is easier to replace or repair than a frame or engine.

When I got my bike it had been crashed on both sides. I laid in a pretty large area of composite on the inside of the broken fairing to hold it together. It is tougher than ever.

By all means continue your project.

9. VietHorse

VietHorse New Member

I also have the same question and concern on the frame sliders for my VFR. Really dont want to cut the fairing as it bloody new... haizzzz....

------------

There are some photos from internet showing how people do with the VFR frame sliders:

------------

This is R&G set, with sliders and modified coolant can, helps the engine rod to be visible and reachable.
    [​IMG]

Replace the engine rod with the longer one (in the R&G set):
    [​IMG]

Then make the holes on the lower fairing, and here is the result:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG].

Boneman's VFR Site - R&G Frame Sliders
    ------------

These are no-cut frame sliders made by LighTech:
    [​IMG]

The existing frame pins are utilized.
    [​IMG]

From this view, they look not very friendly. Seem we may need to pay extra carefull to aviod legs to be clashed with them.
    [​IMG]

LighTech Frame Sliders with Magnesium Pucks (No Cut) - OPPRACING Products
    ------------

10. VietHorse

VietHorse New Member

11. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
  12. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Those Oggy Knobs are plenty stout! Don't ask me how I know.
    John

13. cha6040

cha6040 New Member

Any sellers ship the Oggys in the US or do I buy direct from Melbourne? If these are as stout as John says, I'm def interested!