Thinking about trading the VFR for a Blackbird

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by tanrush, Jun 21, 2011.

1. tanrush

tanrush New Member

I have had my 01 VFR for almost 3 years and love it, but lately I have been thinking about a Blackbird. My riding buddy has a Busa and I am starting to really feel that I want a larger bike but still a sport tourer. The Busa is a great bike but a Blackbird would be plenty fast and cheaper and of course I would prefer a Honda.

Who has made the jump or has a Blackbird as a second bike. Your input please.
    If you know of anyone wanting a really sweet 5th Gen VFR tell them to stay tuned, it may be up for sale soon. I have pictures on my website if you're curious.
    Honda VFR Twilight Zone pinball
    Tom

2. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I had a Blackbird a few bikes ago, they are a great bike, but a bit of a handfull in tight twisties, but great when it opens out a bit.
    The engine is silky smooth,and the power comes on with a big rush from about 5K, although there is torque everywhere.
    No V4 growl though.
    I would be looking more at a CBR1000RR unless you carry pillions a lot.
    The early Blackbirds weren't injected so the later model the better.
    I traded mine because I was mainly riding tight roads, and it was a bit of work as they are a big bike, and a bit slow steering.
    Good luck

3. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I bought my '00 VFR last year off a guy who had it from new. He sold it as he purchased a Blackbird. He just wanted a bit more grunt.

4. Ancon

Ancon New Member

United States
    Map
    Same here, bought my VFR from a guy who then went out and got a Blackbird. Loved the motor, but did not like the fact that it was inline 4--felt it did not have as much character as the VFR with its single-sided swingarm, gear-driven cams, etc. He had the XX for exactly 1 year and sold it and got an Aprilia Dorsaduro. He's in his 40's and the Blackbird was just too much--too much motor, too uncomfortable, too single focused, too fast for him.

So if straightline speed is 'how you roll', the 'bird is probably your bike.

5. WilsonFourTwo

WilsonFourTwo New Member

Map
    One of my 'Motorcycle Mentors' went from a 5Gen VFR to a Blackbird, and was thoroughly please with the decision.

That said, the extra size (length and width), weight (60lbs wet), and power takes a special kind of rider and the right kind of environment to get maximum enjoyment.

Me being well under 6ft, not particularly strong, and riding in the mountains makes the Blackbird kind of a waste. Your stats may vary?

6. betarace

betarace New Member

keep the VFR, blackbirds and busa's are too heavy to be fun

7. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    I am (obviously) biased but I very much understand the desire to move a bit laterally from the VFR...
    some follow the faster and heavier pattern like a busa or blackbird and some do what I did and move to the faster and LIGHTER. For me it was first adding a Triumph 675 and then after a taste of that I traded the VFR for a ZX-10R. So I have fast and light and faster and not-quite-so-light. Always test ride (alot) a bike before switching.

So many bikes, so little time!

8. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Thanks for the replies I am still on the fence. I am a bit concerned about the extra weight and the tight stuff since I am a decent not a great rider. I do have a F4I for the twisties but I recently lowered it for my wife to ride. Not a big deal if she is not riding it to move it back to full height. It just seems that my riding style is less aggressive and more cruising at a good pace. My buddy with the Busa weighs 160 dripping wet and I am 200 lbs. He doesn't seem to have any real concerns about riding his bike anywhere. Granted he is a better rider than me.

Something I should have addressed long ago on the VFR was getting a PCIII to smooth out the low throttle response. I did get one for the F4I and it is much smoother.

9. tanrush

tanrush New Member

After much research and feedback I believe I will hang on to the VFR, at least for now. Yesterday I went to the bike shop and ordered a PCIII for it, it will be in Wednesday so I will go from there. My biggest grip has been the low speed stumble that I thought was my fault (poor throttle control) until recently. After putting on a pcIII on my F4I I noticed a big improvement with the throttle being smoother.
    Other factors (at least in my head)
    My VFR is sweet and paid for
    My VFR has all the great options (Sargent Seat, 929 shock, Helibars)
    Blackbirds are pretty rare these days so their parts cost more and harder to find.
    I just don't think I would come out well with a trade.
    Going to give the PCIII a chance.
    Thanks for the input
    Tom

10. Rangerscott

Rangerscott New Member

You could always super charge your VFR. :vtr2:

11. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Turbo Charge the VFR, Sure I could if I had an extra 6 grand lying around. Cool idea but not really practical for me.

Ok, I bought my PCIII after 2.5 years of getting the VFR. Biggest mistake so far was waiting so long to do this. For anyone who cares there are some very worth while mods and if I had it to do over again, my first mod would have been the PCIII. I have a high mount mid pipe and Scorpion Muffler so I just used the stock map. Everything is great, I can do a power wheelie in first and first to second. It smoothed out the roughness taking off and riding in slow speeds. Although it did not make the VFR into a Blackbird I am feeling much better about it so I am going to hang tight for a while.
    Tom

12. flbubba33

flbubba33 New Member

My 01 VFR has the up pipe with 2 Bros slip on. I am considering the PCIII and I glad I saw your post. What other options would you suggest? I've only had the bike for a month. Thanks

13. tanrush

tanrush New Member

The best mods are the ones that work for you. I put the PCIII as number 1 because the downlow stumble and jerkness was always a thorn in my side when riding on the twisties. Countless times I cursed the bike and now it is gone, best 300.00 spent for rideability.
    My personal favorites are
    1.PCIII
    2. Sargent Seat
    3. Helibars (for comfort)
    4. Mirror extenders (a must for me)
    5. Zero Gravity stock screen
    6. Shortie levers (I have Pazzo's) but Hong Kong are really nice for the money.
    7. Speedo Healer and GPS
    8. -1 tooth on front sprocket
    9. K&N filter (reuseable)
    10. Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires
    11. Tail bag
    12. Nice grips and heavy bar end weights
    13. Throttle lock
    14. Chain Wax (Not grease)
    I hope this helps
    Tom

14. flbubba33

flbubba33 New Member

I have 2,3,6 ordered, 11,12 and 14 I agree. I have the RC51 oil cooler and the headers are wrapped to keep the heat away from me a little in the north FL summer. Thanks for the reply.

15. ricko2

ricko2 New Member

United States
    I bought a Blackbird on Sunday. The thing makes me giggle everytime I crack the throttle. WEEEEE!!!!!!!!

16. tanrush

tanrush New Member

Not fair, congrats you lucky dog.

17. michaelt863

michaelt863 New Member

United States
    You won't regret KEEPING your VFR! It too, has a stablemate,...the RC51! Regards,...let's Rumble!

18. tanrush

tanrush New Member

I really enjoy my VFR, it is comfortable and quick, just not super fast. I just pisses me off when I am doing "90" and my buddy goes by me on his Busa like I am sitting still.
    Here is the cool part, after we switched bikes a couple months ago (which started this quest) he went out and bought helibars/risers for his Busa and he actually lowered his pegs to the lowest setting on his rear set. So I guess speed isn't everything, all the time.
    Tom

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Learn to ignore peer pressure and feelings of inadequacy. Guys who ride them Bustas are nuts.

XX is a big, wide, fat pig, and no one with good sense needs that kind of power or speed.

20. michaelt863

michaelt863 New Member

United States
    I luv my RC51,...BUT it is NOT comfy like the Interceptor, and does quite well up to a 7 out of 10 pace!