DCT now with DAM exhaust, K&N filter and power commander auto tune

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by nik08, Jun 27, 2011.

1. nik08

nik08 New Member

Just put on my DAM Exhaust (matte), K & N filter and Power Commander auto tune on my DCT and it honestly feels like a different bike. The throttle is more responsive and a ton smoother...no more twitchy stuff. The bike just feels like its breathing better and feels significantly faster. I can't say enough about the DAM exhaust, its just awesome. I looks even better in person than in pictures. David Damiens at DAM could not be more helpful! He was very easy to reach even at late hours and time difference in Belgium and he walked my tech through all the questions he had, David is a real class act. If you were wondering why the auto tuner version of the power commander....I had to get the auto tune power commander because I have a DCT and it cannot be dyno tuned (no one has found a way to dyno a dct due to the speed sensor wiring on the front wheel). I would highly recommend these aftermarket parts in the event anyone was considering if it was worth the purchase.:smile:

2. BrandX

BrandX New Member

Can you post up a picture of the bike with the Dam exhaust? That's the one I'm thinking of getting as well.

3. nik08

nik08 New Member

Pictures don't do it justice

It honestly looks way better in person because pictures do not do it justice but this should give you an idea.

Attached Files:

4. Bad VFR

Bad VFR New Member

Nnnnnnnnnnnnice

5. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks great. Will it work with the factory bags?

6. nik08

nik08 New Member

Yes, on their website, it is pictured with factory hard cases. It seems to me that they put in a quality effort in designing an exhaust specific to this bike (not just slap a standard can) taking into account the lines as well as set up for the factory cases..which i plan to get so it was just another reason to get DAM. Its mounted sporty and high enough to follow the lines yet leave room for the bags.

7. seddo

seddo New Member

Australia
    Had a series of wallet failures last week. Ordered a DAM Also lashed out on the PCV and a geelong carbon hugger. Just waiting for them to turn up. based on the cost of a radiator repair, might go a radiator guard as well. If the fairings are off, best to do it just once i reckon.

8. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

I don't understand how you cant dyno the bike? Does it go into a fail mode because no speed is sensed? Plenty of old bikes had speedo cables off front wheel didn't stop them from getting dyno. Must be an ECU Thing.

9. knobby1

knobby1 New Member

Hey Ignoreance,

It's just a DCT thing, the front wheel sensor feeds the ECU(PCM on the DCT) information as to when a gear change is required/allowed, if the front wheel isn't turning the PCM thinks the bike isn't moving and will not allow a gear change, even with the system in manual mode, it will only allow a change between neutral and 1st and back again but will only go back to neutral when the rear wheel isn't turning.

As far as the PCM is concerned, if it thinks the bike isn't moving, why bother to change up to another gear...? It's actually quite smart as it won't allow you to move off from a standstill in anything but 1st gear.

What can be done is to make up a "Y" cable harness and plug it into the rear wheel "and" front wheel sensor harness...thereby "tricking" the PCM into thinking the front wheel is turning, should work ok I believe although I've not tried it.

For those with a DCT and a centre stand, as an experiment, lift the bike onto the centre stand, start the engine and select any gear mode, the bike will shift into 1st but will refuse to shift into second when the throttle is advanced....even trying to manually shift up will result in a "no-go":confused:. The rear wheel will obviously turn but the PCM speed sensor is connected to the front wheel, the rear wheel sensor is just for ABS and speedo indication purposes as I understand it, the ABS light will stay on unless both wheel sensors are activated.

Cheers,
    Smithy.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  10. knobby1

knobby1 New Member

Hey Seddo,

I like that..."a series of wallet failures" very funny indeed. I recently had a similar series of "wallet failures" myself, I ordered a Two Brothers M5 Carbon slip-on and a "JuiceBox Pro", also a few other nick-nacks.....will be interesting to see how the JuiceBox Pro stacks up against the PC-V in the "user friendlyness" area. With them both being made by Dynotune, maps should be interchangeable between them too. I might hit you up for a PC-V map in the not too distant future.

I nearly pushed the button on the PC-V but I like the JuiceBox Pro idea of being able to adjust maps to suit myself and also to change maps on the fly, it carries up to 10 different maps in the JuiceBox Pro unit itself. Should give me a fairly wide range of map choices to suit several different conditions, it allows the rider to adjust maps while out on the road and getting "seat of the pants" feedback as you go.....time will tell.

Do you have a link to the Geelong Carbon hugger please?? Whereabouts in Aus are you???

Cheers,
    Smithy.

11. seddo

seddo New Member

Australia
    Hey Smithy,

I am down in Melbourne. the site for Geelong carbon Craft is Geelong Carbon Craft - Carbon Fibre Motorcycle Parts Not cheap at all, a mum and dad type business, but their stuff is fantastic. Really nice bloke. The interesting thing is that he will make anything if there is a bit of demand. The number of carbon bling bits you could put on this bike is endless. I don't even want to think about it.

On the PC-V v juice box, I have to say I didn't even look at the juice box. Probably should have, just went with what I knew. I had one on the BBird, and it was great. One map for track days, one for everything else. Seemed to suit me ok. With the PCV, it can carry 2 maps, and can be switchable on the fly. I will be happy enough if I can sort out the low speed issues, especially in 1st.

Another interesting thing I have is a puff of smoke on start up. I took it back under warranty, and they had few ideas. Potentially valve stem seals. Do I get it fixed, or live with it? Not sure.

12. knobby1

knobby1 New Member

Hey Seddo,

Thanks for the link. With the PC-V vs Juice box, I guess they both do similar things, they're both made by Dynojet, I think the Juice box may be aimed more at the racer, carrying 10 maps is probably an overkill for a garden variety road bike like the 1200.

As for the "puff of smoke", does it do it at every start or just when cold...or warm? How many kms...What oil are you running? Mine doesn't smoke at all, anytime.

I had a Bird before the 1200 too, but mine was the older "faster" carby version :wink:...small world..!

Cheers,
    Smithy.

13. PavoVFR

PavoVFR New Member

Where you connect the exhaust valve cable?

14. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    That is a nice looking pipe. If I had it to do over and knew what I know now I think I would have purchased a 2013 DCT. I like the idea of the DCT and Honda had revised some of the shift mapping by 2013. Unfortunately I never got to ride a DCT before making a decision. The PC5 & autotune would be the first DCT farkle on my list after a good slip on like the DAM. Next would be a Guhl ECU re-flash to remove the restrictions and a de-cat header modification to put the final performance touches on this fine bike.

15. Bas

Bas New Member

Don has done a flash on a 2012 DCT and DAM exhaust in Holland for Rob.
    The result is amazing.
    So is the sound.
    Just listen and watch:

[video=youtube_share;Y8ddVPrK40s]http://youtu.be/Y8ddVPrK40s[/video]

16. Cafox

Cafox New Member

VFR:Givi Bags.jpg For anyone who wants to know what the Dam looks like with Givi bags on.

17. Bas

Bas New Member

Forget about the Dam, where did you get that amazing paintjob? WAY COOL!! :triumphant:

18. Cafox

Cafox New Member

Thank you, I told my paint guy I loved him for his work. The VFR is the second bike he has done for me, I am happy with his work again, and it wasn't costly.