Proven San Francisco area service shops?

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by jakeisonline, Jul 19, 2011.

1. jakeisonline

jakeisonline New Member

My 2002 has just gone passed the 14k mark, so it's due a nice big service.

I don't want to hand it in to my local garage (Monroe Motors) as I'm not 100% sure they're used to servicing Honda's, let alone a VFR.

Has anyone used a good bay area service shop in the past they can recommend?

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Does the shop have to be in the bay area. I know of a few that aren't there that are really good.

3. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I'd feel the same and only want a shop that actually had experience resetting VFR valves for that job.

Get a copy of CITY BIKE---the finest free motomag in the USA--and patronize their advertizers, provided there's proof they know VFRs.

4. MAKALUMA

MAKALUMA New Member

I would like to recommend my friend Shawn from TOKYO MOTO SF @ 50 Otis St. SF and Jennifer from Werkstatt Motorcyles @ 3248 17th St. SF.

5. Evilcrayon

Evilcrayon New Member

Map
    O'Hanlon Cycle in San Francisco is one of my favorites. The owner Dave is a great guy and I still call him all the time regarding problems.

I've recently found Addiction Motorcycles in Emeryville and one of their mechanics, Bobby Simon, teaches at CCSF's motorcycle tech programs as well. He's well known as a VFR wizard :)

And another one is City Cycle Werkes. One man show but Adam is the most convenient for me.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. veef

veef New Member

Hi folks, long time reader, first time poster... Figured I'd revive this post and see if there had been any changes in people's shop preferences over the last few years... Seems like a long enough time for there to be some turnover/staff changes.

My '02 is ready for its 16k service. I called O'Hanlon today and was informed they don't work on VTEC VFRs. Bummer - I really liked O'Hanlon for my old SV. They recommended Mission Motorcycles in Daly City but I haven't been overly impressed with them for other inquiries. Anyone have experience there, or any other shops in the Bay Area to recommend for the big 16k service / valve job? I don't want to turn my precious over to just anyone...

Thanks!
    John

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    May I suggest Toe cutter on this forum.!
    PM him

8. cinelliguy

cinelliguy New Member

Map
  9. ricky

ricky New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 for Catalyst reaction

10. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
  11. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Why not grab a service manual and do the majority of the work yourself? The valve check is the only difficult part and in all honesty it is a complete waste of money and can be delayed until at least double that mileage. Everything else is relatively easy and can be done with little help and guidance. If you think you are in way over your head find some local forum members to help you. If I lived in the area I would certainly help you and would only expect a 12 pack of premium IPA beer in return.

Rollin

12. veef

veef New Member

Thanks for the recommendations! I will contact these shops and get the low down. Sounds like a couple good options.

As for why I don't do the work myself, the reasons are many... Primarily, time. Another, I live in San Francisco and don't have the space or tools. It sounds great in theory but is not really practical for me. Thanks for noting the valves may not need adjustment. I will be sure to confirm the work is truly needed.

Thanks again!

13. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I am with Rollin :thumbsup:

14. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I have several friends who are bike mechanics and service managers for Honda dealerships and they all agree that the valve check at 16k is a waste of money and not needed unless you are seeing performance issues. The average cost of a VTEC valve check is outrageous ($500-$700) and in many cases this cost is almost comparable to the cost of a used engine swap so my advice is to save your money and specify to any shop exactly what you want done to the bike per the service manual's other recommendations. You may not get the same answer from your dealership/shop since their job is to make money and very few will try to steer you away from not spending an additional $500+ dollars with them. Most of that cost is labor which means it is almost all profit on their part.

Rollin

15. cinelliguy

cinelliguy New Member

Map
    I would tend to agree. From personal experience and from what I have read here on the forum, the valve adjust is almost never needed and therefore the check is not a good use of quite a lot of money. If I had to do the 16K service again, I would not do the valve check and spend that money on other needed items like stainless brake and clutch lines.

Guy