Aftermarket exhaust for 87 vfr 700

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by d.rosenhoover, Jul 27, 2011.

1. d.rosenhoover

d.rosenhoover New Member

Map
    My exhaust is horrible. My fellow riders laugh at me:frown: Is there any aftermarket or any applicable stock my rivets has almost wollard out. And the sad thing is i need 2 so thats twice the money. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

you can make your own. trust me though,DO NOT use bigger mufflers. I saw those on a VFR once, after a 60mph ride for 10 miles, they were nearly glowing. do not want.

find some OEM mufflers on ebay. they're inexpensive-ish, and generally pretty functional. so you can and should take advantage of that.

if folks laugh at ya, they're idiots.

3. d.rosenhoover

d.rosenhoover New Member

Map
    what should i search for on ebay that would be best for my bike. and i also seen where some one capped off one section of the pipes at the y and made it a single exhaust what would that do to the motors performance.

4. fatso1277

fatso1277 New Member

well u have a few options for exhaust...depending on your skills and your pocketbook. You can search 86-87 vfr exhaust on ebay, cross your fingers and hit search...u can find some one with a single side yoshie which does take a little work to fit depending on your rear shock. stock shock no problem. anything else u might have to modify exhaust to fit. u got a LASER which is a overseas company, i think they are going for about 600+. u can search ebay for the cans and just have them modified to fit the stock headers. or u can go with the forementioned...MAKE YOUR OWN!!!...welder and tubing...and any can of your choice.

5. d.rosenhoover

d.rosenhoover New Member

Map
    will putting any can on effect the performance. And do u know of any reasonably priced ones

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    fuck the exhaust and buy yourself some proper suspension

7. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    in my opinion, the stock exhausts on these bikes suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. its big, its bulky, its heavy, and it just doesn't sound all that great. im sure there are some 4-2-2 aftermarket systems that sound good, but i havent seen nor heard them yet. the only system from which I've heard of a real performance benefit is a 4-2-1 system. i had a vfr with a kerker, and it sounded sorta raspy to me, sorta like D&D is known for sounding.

the only downside to the 4-2-1 that youll find is that once you install them, most folks find a flat spot in the torque curve between 6 and 7 grand on the tach. aside from that, a 4-2-1 is well worth the time and money. i dont know of anybody is even making them anymore though....a few years back, i went on a search and the only manufacturer i could find that was building 4-2-1 systems brand new for these 2nd gen bikes was Laser, and I dont know if theyre even makin the systems for this bike anymore. you may end up having to go to a skilled fabricator and see if they can make one for ya.

though one thing to remember, the closest youll come to a full exhaust is the baffle and a can. ive never seen aftermarket header pipes, and even if you found them, replacing the rear head pipes requires the engine to come off the mounts.

8. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Continue to watch E-bay and be patient, and have a fist full of dollars at the ready.

9. d.rosenhoover

d.rosenhoover New Member

Map
    Thanks guys for your help I can do it my self cause i dont have the time. Im going to take it to the muffler shop and see what he can do......And Tinker what the mater with my suspension my suspension works great i had even adjusted it to make it better. Like brand new. I hit tracks daily to work and i feel them more in my jeep then my bike so great for me.

10. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    If you have the stock suspension on your bike odds are it is shot, along with the front springs on the bike, they were both weak points when the bike was brand-spanking new.

11. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    I still have yet to put my almost MINT 4-1 Yosh system for sale.

[​IMG]

12. camo

camo New Member

Map
    I adapted some VTR1000 mufflers to my 86 750. They are designed to flow much larger power pulses than stock. It took some welding but I am happy with the result. Fairly quiet and not too restrictive.

13. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    LOL, like brand new. If course you don't feel tracks, you're riding a cruiser disguised as a sport bike. You have Cadillac instead of sports car suspension.

Checked Racetech because their site is easy to search. Assuming the OP is 180lbs, the recommended spring rate in front is 1.0kg. FACTORY was .49 Racetech doesn't stock anything over 1.0 but others can get special order springs at the same price if you're 240 and need 1.1kg

RT - Digital Product Search

They don't say what the rear is and it's classified as non-rebuildable but if it's anything like the 3rd gen then the rear spring is half the proper rate as well. Jamie does rear shock kits for these.

Someone may have already upgraded the suspension but I doubt it. My guess is you grab front brake and the front end dives like a Frenchman in a bar fight.

If you pop the spring out and find a progressive spring, then you'll know you don't know what you're missing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  14. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Here is a better photo
    [​IMG]
    I would be a bit concerned that you would end up with uneven length of head pipes if you just spliced the left side pipes over to the right.

I had considered it but thought that staying with dual mufflers was a better option for me.

A nice 4>1 yoshimura would be interesting. How do you get to the rear headpipes. When I changed my engine I left the exhaust system on until I got the engine out.

15. fatso1277

fatso1277 New Member

u dont have to take the engine out to get he rear headers pipes off. just the rear wheel, rear shock and heat shield...and u should be able to get a ratchet in there with an extention onto the long nut on the headers. u just have to angle it a bit. i think its a 10mm nut if i remember correctly....u dont have to take the headers off to get the yoshi to fit...u can unloosen the for a little wiggle room...but it should just go straight up to it.

16. fredsncoma

fredsncoma New Member

United States
    Hindle makes a sweet 4 into 1, but very hard to find and it includes headers, will have to remove engine to install and you might have to sell the 1st kid to get it.. Keep your eye out for some Supertrapps, great sound and performance.

17. camo

camo New Member

Map
    I just re-read your original post. Rivets getting wallered out? Have you considered putting new rivets in. Go oversize if you want.

If you truly want new mufflers, look for a bike that has twin mufflers with greater hp than yours. Might consider Hayabusa stock mufflers.

18. McViffer

McViffer New Member

If you go custom consider ducati Remus take offs. THey are cheap and sound great w/ your v4. From anything dual 750cc and above. Check craigslist for ducati exhaust.

19. camo

camo New Member

Map
    Interesting, Ducati mufflers, hadn't thought of that option.

20. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    The 4-1 Yosh doesn't require removing the header pipes. They slip onto the exsisting 4 pipes.