piston rings

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by jafo, Aug 9, 2011.

1. jafo

jafo New Member

Has anyone heard of putting over sized rings in a standard bore
    and if so what the out come was?
    I know i need rings because compression is low and gap in rings must
    be spaced to far apart even tho they were installed at 12 and 6
    any info would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    oversized rings arent exactly a great idea. IIRC, stock sized pistons will *need* stock sized rings to seat correctly. oversized rings wouldnt fit correctly down into the cylinder bore, which will prove to be a waste of money. if you tear down the motor and the cylinder walls are scored so badly you feel like you need new pistons, then the rings need to be sized correctly for those pistons, and the pistons will need to be correct for the overbore (ie if you bore .030", you need .030" larger pistons)

3. Singer732

Singer732 New Member

United States
    Map
    We used to do it with small block Chevy's, as a cheap fix for scored up cylinders. We would hone the cylinders out until smooth and then use oversize rings rather than replacing the pistons. It's not the best solution and it's not a good idea on a high performance or high stress motor, but on a plain Jane 307 it worked pretty well to keep it rollin'. At least to sell it or while your building a good motor.
    :cool::cool::cool::cool:

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Ring gaps should be spaced 120 degrees apart, but unless you can find the proper oversized pistons and rings to match the overbore you need, your engine is kaput.

5. jafo

jafo New Member

Thanks for the input the only reason I ask is that I put standard rings in last year and had someone
    hone the cylinders for me and they took to much off and now the compression is crappy They never miced the bore like i asked .but bike still
    fires up and goes good I can not find over sized piston and rings Honda doesn't list them but I think
    ones for a 1987 vfr700 f2 should work.
    someone recommended putting over sized rings in didn't think it was right thing to do.:rain: