Maine/ NH riders???

Discussion in 'USA - Northeast' started by converse, Aug 21, 2011.

1. converse

converse New Member

Hey guys! I am new to riding, and am looking for other VFR's and well, sport bikes in general, to ride with in Maine/NH. IM about an hour from Portland, Lewiston, North Conway. If anyone wants to get together and ride, let me know. Would love to do a White Mountains ride with a group, or any group ride. Also, anyone know some awesome roads to ride? I've done the Kancamagus and Bear Notch Rd (thanks to the two guys I met on the Kanc) but am always looking for new and awesome roads to ride.

2. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    I'm in Gloucester, MA, but I've been considering a ride up to the Kancamangas sometime next week... if the local shop isn't open... she does need her valves checked. I'll keep you posted

3. converse

converse New Member

Just as a heads up, I heard that the Kanc has been closed til the spring due to hurricane damage. Bear Notch Rd is still open, but the Kanc is closed between Bear Notch and the Loon Mountain area. Don;t want you to ride all the way up here for a road thats not open.

4. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Damn, thanks for the heads up, brother, much appreciated!
    I am riding up through NH/ ME in late sept on my way up to Nova Scotia. I should be passing through the area on the 17th, and returning about 10 days after that. If you're down to join for a spell, or know any good roads to blast, let me know

5. whitemountainvfr

whitemountainvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    Yep, there are a couple of significant road closures up here that should be considered before you make the trip. There are however plenty of great alternatives that you will find worthy.

The Kanc is closed off about six miles east of Lincoln so travel between there and Conway is impossible. It may reopen later this month. Route 302 is closed through Crawford Notch for a while, too.

So, to travel east/west up here you should use either Route 25 from Meredith to Ossipee or Route 2 from Jefferson to Gorham. The latter is further north but much less crowded although after Labor Day it probably isn't a real big deal until foliage season.

For current conditions check the "511" links on each state's DOT web sites.

6. summitlt

summitlt New Member

Im in Brunswick, id be willing to tail someone for a while or just meet up to BS for a bit. 86 VF700. Text me at 449 - O3ate3

John painter likes this.
  7. CBRent

CBRent New Member

United States
    The Kancamagus has been open for a while now. Bear Notch is still closed, but that might be for the winter.

Go find Hurricane Mountain Road. It is very narrow and can be challenging. Keep her in 2nd and watch for oncoming cars that dislike sharing the road.

You ought to do the Mr Washington Auto Road too. It is a rite of passage. :)

Good luck!

Brent

8. teamcubco

teamcubco New Member

Map
    Older post but always looking for more riders. Working on a 85 VF500 project but I ride a couple of SV 650's naked and am on SVrider.com and newenglandstreetrider.com more than here. Looking for the right deal om a white 08 VFR to be my touring bike. Give me a shout if you guys get a ride going or join one of the rides we take in that direction from svrider.com "tour de twisties".

9. ericbthomas22

ericbthomas22 New Member

New to riding, there's some good not to much traffic riding in Maine, Moose Head lake for one ,or Oaster's on the have shell at the coast for lunch. If you are new to riding take it on the back roads.

10. MarcMicciche

MarcMicciche New Member

United States
    Map
    Saw your ancient post. If you're still around, I recently moved back to Littleton, have a Gen 3 and always looking for a riding group.
    Cheers