Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member metallyguitarded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 2014 Honda CB1100 Std.
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts

    Sticky Suggestion: How To's

    I realize I'm a newcomer to this site but it seems to me that we could all benefit from a sticky where people can put their "How To's" they've been generous enough to post. I don't know how it works but imagine creating a sticky is something the moderators do. Again, I don't know (yes, my ignorance is impressive), but I imagine "how to" posts can then be moved into the new sticky. That way, all of us DIY'ers know exactly where to go to try to find help when changing the oil, putting in HIDs, adding risers or Heli-bars, adding a side car, etc. Okay, maybe not a side car, but you get the idea. I do know (shocking) that there's a search feature but, let's be honest, it leaves something to be desired. Anyway, just a thought; I'm sure not an original one but one worth putting out there.

    I'm off to buy some oil and a filter and to give my first oil change on the VFR a shot. Wish me luck. I've already seen some helpful advice here but will search for some more before I jump in.


  2. #2
    Uber Guru Metallican525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland
    Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500F (the ol lady's ride)
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    Funny you should mention it, there is a VFR or two runnin around with sidecars. Don't remember if there was a build thread though or just show off shots.
    Member#252 6th gen Militia

    Tight corners, sticky tires, mmmm good


    "Oh I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late" Dierks Bentley

    "Dirty boy DIRTY DIRTY!!!" Futurama

  3. #3
    Senior Member metallyguitarded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 2014 Honda CB1100 Std.
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallican525 View Post
    Funny you should mention it, there is a VFR or two runnin around with sidecars. Don't remember if there was a build thread though or just show off shots.
    Now that I have got to see! My girl on the back and my dog in the sidecar. What could be better? (Don't answer that)

  4. #4
    Uber Guru Metallican525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland
    Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500F (the ol lady's ride)
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by metallyguitarded View Post
    Now that I have got to see! My girl on the back and my dog in the sidecar. What could be better? (Don't answer that)

    That sir, is a loaded question, you've not been round here long enough to know not to ask those, our local troll will be along shortly to post up google search results for beastiality sites that involve harleys and leather clad dudes I'm sure.............
    Member#252 6th gen Militia

    Tight corners, sticky tires, mmmm good


    "Oh I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late" Dierks Bentley

    "Dirty boy DIRTY DIRTY!!!" Futurama

  5. #5
    Uber Guru Metallican525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland
    Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500F (the ol lady's ride)
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    Member#252 6th gen Militia

    Tight corners, sticky tires, mmmm good


    "Oh I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late" Dierks Bentley

    "Dirty boy DIRTY DIRTY!!!" Futurama

  6. #6
    Uber Guru Metallican525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland
    Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500F (the ol lady's ride)
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...-with-sidecar/Google Translate

    Nuther VFR sidecar build. They're are two links there
    Member#252 6th gen Militia

    Tight corners, sticky tires, mmmm good


    "Oh I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late" Dierks Bentley

    "Dirty boy DIRTY DIRTY!!!" Futurama

  7. #7
    Senior Member metallyguitarded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 2014 Honda CB1100 Std.
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    Ha! Now that is just pretty darn cool. I love the look of a sidecar on a sport bike. I love leaning too much to ever do that to mine but it sure would be a blast to ride one. I suppose I could get a pretty good lean going (to one side). It'll be like catamaran sailing!

  8. #8
    Uber Guru Metallican525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rockville, Maryland
    Country
    My Ride
    2003 VFR Slutty Honda Red, 1985 VF500F (the ol lady's ride)
    Posts
    1,809
    Thanks
    1,072
    Thanked 143 Times in 127 Posts
    Yeah I've seen guys with sidecars that were really good at hangin that thing in the air and riding sideways, pretty cool, like a sideways wheelie. I should apologise for hijacking your suggestion thread and making it into a sidecar discussion though..........
    Member#252 6th gen Militia

    Tight corners, sticky tires, mmmm good


    "Oh I knew there'd be hell to pay, but that crossed my mind a little too late" Dierks Bentley

    "Dirty boy DIRTY DIRTY!!!" Futurama

  9. #9
    Senior Member metallyguitarded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 Honda VFR800 2014 Honda CB1100 Std.
    Posts
    353
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 57 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallican525 View Post
    Yeah I've seen guys with sidecars that were really good at hangin that thing in the air and riding sideways, pretty cool, like a sideways wheelie. I should apologise for hijacking your suggestion thread and making it into a sidecar discussion though..........
    No worries. The sidecar discussion is much more interesting anyway.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    The is an awesome idea. I know this is an older thread, but found it while searching for some info.

    I used to have a 250 Ninja and the forum I belonged to have the most comprehensive list I've ever seen.

    Ninja250 Howto - Ninja250Wiki

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Country
    My Ride
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I second that motion! Would be nice to have a sticky that links to stuff like:

    -Crowling Repair
    -Carb Cleaning
    -Coolant Drainage
    -Valve Adjustment
    -Oil Change .....just kidding

    Great suggestion IMO, but it's going to be a lot of work for whoever compiles it. Unless we all work together!

  12. #12
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Oil changes are no problemos. There might be some small amount of controversy on the choice of oil.

    Choice of filters is almost too scary to even think about.

  13. #13
    Poser

    reg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atascadero, California, United States
    Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR 800; 2003 YZ 450 F
    Posts
    8,757
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 401 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53
    we had a wiki for several years but due to the amount of work including community involvement it never took off.

  14. #14
    Uber Guru

    34468 Randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    100K + mile 2006 VFR800A, Ohlins, Custom one off graphics, Puig double Bubble screen. Sergent seat, 8 spoke wheel. VERY GOOD LOOKING OWNER
    Posts
    8,372
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 779 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Just what is a sticky anyways?

    I have seen a couple of our members being a little critical of our moderators for one reason on another. My understanding is this VFRWorld site was set up by Michael, not as a source of revenue or anything like that. It was for his love of the bike and appreciation he may have for the common interest everyone here has. The rules for conduct on this thread are very relaxed. There is not only a lot of very valuable information on this site from some very talented and knowledgeable people, but there is a huge entertainment value to this site. From time to time, Michael seems to run into problems not any different than any other web site may experience. And between he, Reg, Derstuka and Tink, they do an outstanding job of keeping this site operation relatively well. It has its quirks, but then so does a Ferrari (so I am told).

    I have been an Insider here I think since I joined this site. Probably within a month or so of joining. I have no regrets and have no issues with what this costs. Our moderators do have families and careers. This website is something done on the side. Our moderators do an excellent job in their attempts to keep this site up and running the way it does. My hat is definitely tipped to them for their efforts.
    A big thank you to you guys.

    Did I cover all you wanted Reg?
    Randy IBA # 58558


  15. The Following User Says Thank You to 34468 Randy For This Useful Post:

    reg71 (09-14-2013)

  16. #15
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 34468 Randy View Post
    Just what is a sticky anyways?

    I have seen a couple of our members being a little critical of our moderators for one reason on another. My understanding is this VFRWorld site was set up by Michael, not as a source of revenue or anything like that. It was for his love of the bike and appreciation he may have for the common interest everyone here has. The rules for conduct on this thread are very relaxed. There is not only a lot of very valuable information on this site from some very talented and knowledgeable people, but there is a huge entertainment value to this site. From time to time, Michael seems to run into problems not any different than any other web site may experience. And between he, Reg, Derstuka and Tink, they do an outstanding job of keeping this site operation relatively well. It has its quirks, but then so does a Ferrari (so I am told).

    I have been an Insider here I think since I joined this site. Probably within a month or so of joining. I have no regrets and have no issues with what this costs. Our moderators do have families and careers. This website is something done on the side. Our moderators do an excellent job in their attempts to keep this site up and running the way it does. My hat is definitely tipped to them for their efforts.
    A big thank you to you guys.

    Did I cover all you wanted Reg?
    Well you could have put in a good word for the harleydoods too. ;)

  17. #16
    Uber Guru

    34468 Randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    100K + mile 2006 VFR800A, Ohlins, Custom one off graphics, Puig double Bubble screen. Sergent seat, 8 spoke wheel. VERY GOOD LOOKING OWNER
    Posts
    8,372
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 779 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    I haven't quite figured out if you really like Harleys or really hate them. Personally, I don't have much use for them. But that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. You don't have to ask who "they" are this time BB. I don't have an answer.
    Randy IBA # 58558


  18. #17
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 34468 Randy View Post
    I haven't quite figured out if you really like Harleys or really hate them. Personally, I don't have much use for them. But that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. You don't have to ask who "they" are this time BB. I don't have an answer.

    "They" are the defenders of the faith and are looking for either a bunch of virgin boys or girls with mustaches or a Jiharleyhad.

    A sticky is a permanent post hopefully with salient useful info that is good for a long time. Other meanings too like stuff from Micheal. Just a suggestion here. A sticky of the first version might could be a compilation of sites for downloading factory manuals rather than those pesky bellybuttons.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

    34468 Randy (09-14-2013)

  20. #18
    Uber Guru

    34468 Randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chilliwack, BC Canada
    Country
    My Ride
    100K + mile 2006 VFR800A, Ohlins, Custom one off graphics, Puig double Bubble screen. Sergent seat, 8 spoke wheel. VERY GOOD LOOKING OWNER
    Posts
    8,372
    Thanks
    667
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 779 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbilly View Post
    A sticky is a permanent post hopefully with salient useful info that is good for a long time.
    OK. But do all the post not stay on the forum in the digital library someplace, available to be searched though our search engine, for what that is worth. What makes a thread with a sticky any different that any other thread?
    Randy IBA # 58558


  21. #19
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 34468 Randy View Post
    OK. But do all the post not stay on the forum in the digital library someplace, available to be searched though our search engine, for what that is worth. What makes a thread with a sticky any different that any other thread?
    Pretty sure that stickies are labeled as such and cannot be self deleted. Lets see what is said about them from better sources. As far as this internal search engine is concerned, with the right operator, stuff that was posted here shows up on Google and Bing.

    Shifting gears some this is good reason not to post up pix of your kids or bikes or dogs or even Harleys because there are some really nasty dudes oot there that just look for stuff like that.

    The caveat here is that the above is not entirely absolute fact. Honey Boo-boo is one example. Another is Will Smith's kid who looks like he just swallowed a turd.

  22. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Escondido, Ca.
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 25 anniversary edition vfr 800
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
    In the watercraft forum I belong to they have a couple of stickies. One is a how to, this is a compilation of popular projects from different members and if applied to our forum would include things like how to do an oil change, service the air filter, flip the triangles, raise the forks, install grip heaters etc. All these things can be found using the search feature but can sometimes be challenging. Putting these things all in one sticky is kind of like creating a play list on your IPod, your music is all in the IPod but it's all over the place. If you create a play list for a certain genre or style it's much easier to access. A sticky would be especially helpful for new owners or for those that are less mechanically proficient.
    John

  23. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Country
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Here is an easier way of creating the sticky thread: * * * * C o m p l e t e ' H o w T o ' A r c h i v e * * * * - Focus Fanatics. Links can be added by mod as members create the threads themselves.

  24. #22
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonfighter View Post
    Here is an easier way of creating the sticky thread: * * * * C o m p l e t e ' H o w T o ' A r c h i v e * * * * - Focus Fanatics. Links can be added by mod as members create the threads themselves.

    This is a great idea but what happens if the How to Archive starts getting loaded up with how to's for fixing Harleys? I am afraid that might fry the server or even the entire net.

  25. #23
    Senior Member friedleyjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bossier City, La
    Country
    My Ride
    '06 Honda VFR800ABS
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Man if you are trying to fix a Harley just look up how to fix a 1967 Briggs and Stratton. There you have it.... Ancient tech at its best...
    "I will own this bike until I die. if not longer" --- ME

  26. #24
    Poser

    reg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Atascadero, California, United States
    Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR 800; 2003 YZ 450 F
    Posts
    8,757
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 401 Times in 291 Posts
    Blog Entries
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonfighter View Post
    Here is an easier way of creating the sticky thread: * * * * C o m p l e t e ' H o w T o ' A r c h i v e * * * * - Focus Fanatics. Links can be added by mod as members create the threads themselves.
    Ok, if you build it, I'll stick it. It needs to thought out and organized, though. Should there be one in each generation, should there be one for all? etc.

  27. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Escondido, Ca.
    Country
    My Ride
    2007 25 anniversary edition vfr 800
    Posts
    518
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 50 Times in 46 Posts
    So I just took a look at the watercraft forum that I am a member of "greenhulk.net" I haven't been active on there for quite a while since I quit modifying my 05 Seedoo rxp (get tossed at 70 plus a couple of times and figure it's fast enough,,,,,,and call me lucky") any way that forum is huge. The stickies are devided by manufacturer, Ie, seafood, Kawasaki, Yamaha etc. they don't seem to bother breaking them down by model within the various brands. The sticky is just titled "projects & frequently asked questions" maybe the mods could take a look and see if this is a huge project. It seems like it would make accessing this kind of information a lot easier than searching the whole forum.
    And now, time for a tasty IPA!
    John

  28. #26
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reg71 View Post
    Ok, if you build it, I'll stick it. It needs to thought out and organized, though. Should there be one in each generation, should there be one for all? etc.
    Is the generation thing good for an across the board solution to a problem, a fix or some other issue? The 90-93 VFRFs share the same factory manual but are they really all the same and does this carry over to other "generations" ? Probably minor stuff but one incorrect wire connection could really mess up something. There IMO be some constraints on aftermarket stuff and farkles or there is potential to get off to a whole shitload of subjectivity. Another consideration might be to keep in mind that there are various levels of skills here too.

    I read a biography of Mike Hailwood and even though his father was a dealer he didn't know or possibly care about wrenching on bikes but he sure could ride..

    A good example was the site on the Ford Focus. My cage is an Explorer (exploder) and there is an almost mirror site on that that works well.

  29. #27
    Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Country
    Posts
    8,867
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 474 Times in 417 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friedleyjr View Post
    Man if you are trying to fix a Harley just look up how to fix a 1967 Briggs and Stratton. There you have it.... Ancient tech at its best...
    Solid info..I may end up thinkin this dude ain't half bad after all..;)


Similar Threads

  1. Sticky throttle
    By Bryan88 in forum 3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 12:14 AM
  2. any suggestion?
    By e cabrera in forum General VFR Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
  3. How do you fix a sticky tachometer?
    By Artery in forum 1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2008, 02:27 AM
  4. any suggestion (please)
    By jetts_lm in forum 1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •