Sticky Suggestion: How To's

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by metallyguitarded, Aug 23, 2011.

1. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I realize I'm a newcomer to this site but it seems to me that we could all benefit from a sticky where people can put their "How To's" they've been generous enough to post. I don't know how it works but imagine creating a sticky is something the moderators do. Again, I don't know (yes, my ignorance is impressive), but I imagine "how to" posts can then be moved into the new sticky. That way, all of us DIY'ers know exactly where to go to try to find help when changing the oil, putting in HIDs, adding risers or Heli-bars, adding a side car, etc. Okay, maybe not a side car, but you get the idea. I do know (shocking) that there's a search feature but, let's be honest, it leaves something to be desired. Anyway, just a thought; I'm sure not an original one but one worth putting out there.

I'm off to buy some oil and a filter and to give my first oil change on the VFR a shot. Wish me luck. I've already seen some helpful advice here but will search for some more before I jump in.

2. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Funny you should mention it, there is a VFR or two runnin around with sidecars. Don't remember if there was a build thread though or just show off shots.

3. metallyguitarded

Map
    Now that I have got to see! My girl on the back and my dog in the sidecar. What could be better? (Don't answer that)

4. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map

That sir, is a loaded question, you've not been round here long enough to know not to ask those, our local troll will be along shortly to post up google search results for beastiality sites that involve harleys and leather clad dudes I'm sure.............:biggrin::party2::chaingun:

5. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
  6. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
  7. metallyguitarded

Map
    Ha! Now that is just pretty darn cool. I love the look of a sidecar on a sport bike. I love leaning too much to ever do that to mine but it sure would be a blast to ride one. I suppose I could get a pretty good lean going (to one side). It'll be like catamaran sailing!

8. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Yeah I've seen guys with sidecars that were really good at hangin that thing in the air and riding sideways, pretty cool, like a sideways wheelie. I should apologise for hijacking your suggestion thread and making it into a sidecar discussion though..........:focus:

9. metallyguitarded

Map
    No worries. The sidecar discussion is much more interesting anyway.

10. hamiltonfighter

hamiltonfighter New Member

United States
    The is an awesome idea. I know this is an older thread, but found it while searching for some info.

I used to have a 250 Ninja and the forum I belonged to have the most comprehensive list I've ever seen.

Ninja250 Howto - Ninja250Wiki

11. InterceptorDru

InterceptorDru New Member

I second that motion! Would be nice to have a sticky that links to stuff like:

-Crowling Repair
    -Carb Cleaning
    -Coolant Drainage
    -Valve Adjustment
    -Oil Change .....just kidding

Great suggestion IMO, but it's going to be a lot of work for whoever compiles it. Unless we all work together!

12. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Oil changes are no problemos. There might be some small amount of controversy on the choice of oil.

Choice of filters is almost too scary to even think about.

13. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    we had a wiki for several years but due to the amount of work including community involvement it never took off.

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Just what is a sticky anyways?

I have seen a couple of our members being a little critical of our moderators for one reason on another. My understanding is this VFRWorld site was set up by Michael, not as a source of revenue or anything like that. It was for his love of the bike and appreciation he may have for the common interest everyone here has. The rules for conduct on this thread are very relaxed. There is not only a lot of very valuable information on this site from some very talented and knowledgeable people, but there is a huge entertainment value to this site. From time to time, Michael seems to run into problems not any different than any other web site may experience. And between he, Reg, Derstuka and Tink, they do an outstanding job of keeping this site operation relatively well. It has its quirks, but then so does a Ferrari (so I am told).

I have been an Insider here I think since I joined this site. Probably within a month or so of joining. I have no regrets and have no issues with what this costs. Our moderators do have families and careers. This website is something done on the side. Our moderators do an excellent job in their attempts to keep this site up and running the way it does. My hat is definitely tipped to them for their efforts.
    A big thank you to you guys.

Did I cover all you wanted Reg?

15. Badbilly

United States
    Well you could have put in a good word for the harleydoods too. ;)

16. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I haven't quite figured out if you really like Harleys or really hate them. Personally, I don't have much use for them. But that is my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions. You don't have to ask who "they" are this time BB. I don't have an answer.

17. Badbilly

United States

"They" are the defenders of the faith and are looking for either a bunch of virgin boys or girls with mustaches or a Jiharleyhad.

A sticky is a permanent post hopefully with salient useful info that is good for a long time. Other meanings too like stuff from Micheal. Just a suggestion here. A sticky of the first version might could be a compilation of sites for downloading factory manuals rather than those pesky bellybuttons.

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    OK. But do all the post not stay on the forum in the digital library someplace, available to be searched though our search engine, for what that is worth. What makes a thread with a sticky any different that any other thread?

19. Badbilly

United States
    Pretty sure that stickies are labeled as such and cannot be self deleted. Lets see what is said about them from better sources. As far as this internal search engine is concerned, with the right operator, stuff that was posted here shows up on Google and Bing.

Shifting gears some this is good reason not to post up pix of your kids or bikes or dogs or even Harleys because there are some really nasty dudes oot there that just look for stuff like that.

The caveat here is that the above is not entirely absolute fact. Honey Boo-boo is one example. Another is Will Smith's kid who looks like he just swallowed a turd.

20. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

In the watercraft forum I belong to they have a couple of stickies. One is a how to, this is a compilation of popular projects from different members and if applied to our forum would include things like how to do an oil change, service the air filter, flip the triangles, raise the forks, install grip heaters etc. All these things can be found using the search feature but can sometimes be challenging. Putting these things all in one sticky is kind of like creating a play list on your IPod, your music is all in the IPod but it's all over the place. If you create a play list for a certain genre or style it's much easier to access. A sticky would be especially helpful for new owners or for those that are less mechanically proficient.
    John