VF500 shock length and spring rate

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by InterFester, Sep 12, 2011.

1. InterFester

InterFester New Member

Try as I may, I can't seem to find this info. A good friend of mine has a varied collection of Penske and Wilber's shocks in his possession from a myriad of older race bikes. I'm just wondering if one of them is close enough to try and mod to fit my '84, I have OE on there now and it's very done. This would be a much better starting point than F2/F3/F4i etc. as long as the rates are within the range that it needs.

2. smooth operator

smooth operator New Member

I'd like to know too, I was just looking through ebay for F2 suspension and wondering if they will swap. We have a VF500 donated to my buddy's shop to make into a track bike. Its been sitting there for a few years, but we are finally going to do something with it this year/winter.

3. InterFester

InterFester New Member

The OE VF500F shock is LONG. The F2 or F3 shock must have an extension piece added for more length as well as to change the way it mounts. I found a thread here where a member is trying to compile this information and lists the length as somewhere around 350mm eye to eye.
    Good luck on your race bike, these engines aren't the most bullet proof when pushed. I keep my redline to around 10,000rpm now but that still works well for me, Florida native in the hills of Eastern Tennessee. Might be why I'm still alive too.

4. blitzas

blitzas New Member

5. InterFester

InterFester New Member

6. blitzas

blitzas New Member

I found the VTR1000 shock in a shock length chart and was also 346mm in length. Stroke was stated 60mm.
    I never had my hands on a VTR1000 shock so I cannot confirm if dimensions are correct.