Rode Hard & Hung Up Wet: My 1986 VF500F

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Mind_Surfer, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Hello everyone, this a thread I am starting about my old '86 VF500F.

This bike I bought when it was new, and I have somehow managed to hold on to it for all these years. It is on it's second engine. It is generally pretty thrashed. I have ridden this bike year-round, on-road & off. It has always been a great bike, so nimble, and so forgiving. I have crashed it twice, once in the winter when I hit the sand at about 1.5 MPH, and once I looped a big uphill wheelie in town. I hate to admit it, but I have abused the living crap out of this once fine machine. I bent the front rim once, not exactly sure how, but I am thinking it may have gotten tweaked when I landed hard jumping a bridge. I found a used one off of an '85, and spray painted it black.
    34,768 miles...still has original keychain!

It has been sitting for a few years, and I now have it running again. I had to rebuild the carbs, and replace a fuel line. I also had two brake pins froze up due to bad boots. I replaced the pins and a few of the boots. New pads also. I flushed all fluids. I replaced all of the master cylinder cover screws, and two of the rusty fairing screws. I replaced the clutch lever that I bent when I accidentally knocked the bike off it's side stand and rolled it 50' down the mountain. I cleaned out all the debris the damned mice had stashed in the air box, and the fairings, etc, etc. I can't remember the last time I did the valves, so I am going to go ahead and do that, and I need to inspect the sprockets as well. Hopefully, I will be putting the tags back on tomorrow, then I can go on a nice, leisurely ride, obeying all posted speed limits, and scrub those grungy tires back in!!! Here are a few photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BELOW: Look closely at the block, you can see where I cracked two of the side cover screw bosses when I looped out...side cover was DESTROYED, this one is off parts engine.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank You for reading.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    This thread is useless without offroad pics. On second thought I think we prefer a pic of you jumping it LOL !!

Rollin

3. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Well, it was no serious jumping, just this one bridge on the way to work that had a nasty way of icing up early, as bridges do. But if you hit it just right, you could clear the whole span, landing on better pavement. No place for coming up short, as I once did...front way too high, screwed my trajectory, landed vertical on rear wheel on that frosty bridge. What a dance we did, and when my rear tire hit dry pavement on the other side, the front end slammed down HARD. I think that tweaked my rim.

4. InterFester

InterFester New Member

You are a bad bad person and undeserving of such a fine motorcycle, the authorities are on their way. On the other hand I find it interesting that your bike was able to take so much abuse and still have good cams, followers and valves in it. Maybe babyin' these bikes is what makes them wear prematurely, they get bored and self destruct.

5. Mobtown

Mobtown New Member

United States
    Map
    An up hill wheelie?

On stock gearing?

Really?

6. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Oh yeah, totally stock. For a 500, that little bike is a wheelie monster...the balance point is kind of high, really stands up tall. Not a power wheelie, you have to time it just right, really dropping the clutch at high RPMs...to stretch it out, you need to start with the right rolling speed, to ensure a good gyroscopic effect off of the front wheel. Not too fast, not too slow. Another good one was the RZ350...you can roll on wheelies from idle, no clutch, 2nd or 3rd gear no problem. Good ol' days.

7. invisible cities

invisible cities New Member

United States
    Map
    Please, please, please inspect the valve train and set the lash.

Not to scold, but you are way past due on this very important maintenance if you don't remember the last time it was done.

8. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Thanks for the reminder, invisible. Poor maintenance is precisely why I am on my second engine, so I learned the hard way. As a favor, would you have a link for some suitable gauges? The last time I did the valve service, I had to butcher up my gauge to get it down in that confined space. Also, I am running 10W/40...is that OK?

9. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    My recommendation for feeler gauges: purchase a set of extra long Blue Point gauges, part no. FBL325A, then cut these in half and use the two halves, one under each tappet (AKA the 'two feeler gauge' method).

Some light reading on setting the valve lash can be found here:

ValveTrain/ValveClearanceAdjustment - SabMagFAQ

For motor oil, you are going to get a lot of opinions, here is my recommendation:

[​IMG]

This said, first on the list should be a copy of the FSM. Look for one in the green binder as these have a higher quality printing:

[​IMG]

Good luck and keep us posted!

10. ILuvtheMountains

ILuvtheMountains New Member

Map
    All you need is some slick 50 and that baby will be like new.
    Might even fit those cracks in the side cover.

11. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Well, with the weather cooling off, I have decided not to tag the bike until Spring. In the meanwhile, first thing to do is a valve service. Thanks everyone for the tips.
    PS: The bike was running great after the carb rebuild, but I go to start it up last night, and man, it would barely run. It has been sitting in the workshop for a week or so. I don't know what happened, but I suppose I'll pull the carbs again. Hope everyone is doing well.

12. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Is there fuel in each of the carb bowls? Have you checked the inside of the tank for rust and/or sediment? Have you checked the fuel filter? Does the bike have a fuel pump or has it been converted to gravity fed? Is there spark at all the plugs?

Rollin

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    thought all these bikes needed a fuel pump as the petcock is lower than the fuel line pick up? Tyres looked old as shate, should get some new donuts in black for ur steed.

14. invisible cities

United States
    Map
    No, '86 VF500Fs were gravity fed from the Factory and the '84/'85 models can also be modified without negative effect.

The '86 model does have a different petcock (larger outlet) and the fuel line splits downstream from the petcock as it runs to the carburetors but it has been well documented that the 'gravity mod' (using the stock smaller petcock and single fuel line) works fine for the earlier models.

15. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed :second:

16. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Rollin, I'll check the tank & filter. '86, no pump. Spark at all 4. I also checked for vacuum leaks. Bike was running fine one day, sat for a week and runs like a turd. I did check the air box for mice, and they have not moved back in YET. LOL

17. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    check the header pipes right away after startup to see if you have a cold cylinder. If it's not running on all four because of a stuck float, fouled plug, etc..., will help narrow down where you need to look.

18. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    Many thanks...I will try it this weekend, and let you know. Take care.

19. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I'm going to pull the carbs again next week, re-clean them, and see if she fires.
    Be safe everyone.

20. Mind_Surfer

Mind_Surfer New Member

United States
    I put some fresh 93 in there and it runs good now. Looks like I need a front brake switch, then adjust the valves.