Oil Spec and additive.

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Addy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Addy

Addy New Member

Afternoon all, well it is here anyway.
    It's been a while since i last posted, nice to things still going well with the site.

After a long lay up, i have finally got round to sorting out the VF500 my dad gave to me last year (as he can no longer ride due to a welding accident), i've done the fork seals and just replacing some perished brake lines.
    What engine oil spec would any of you guys recommend?
    My dad gave me a bottle of oil additive, which was bought from the honda dealer back in the day, but seeing as the old girl hasn't been run on the road since 1996, was wondering in advances in modern oils had made this additive redundant?

The VF is going to be my road bike for this year, just to get some use out of it and then next winter she is coming apart to be totally refurbished as a bit of a tribute to my dad, as it is down to him i got into bikes in the first place.

2. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I NEVER use additives like STP or any such crap on the market.

I just put a pretty big post on the oil thread that is currently alive in the forums.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/1st-2nd-generation-1983-1989/37259-need-oil-change.html#post343554

The ONLY additive I would consider is the break in additives from Redline or something similar. The carrier is a high grade dino. oil and the additives are what we want in our engines, just A LOT MORE of it. I wonder if this one will ignite a firestorm? It is another oil thread after all.

Jose

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map