2003 VFR 800 Throttle response

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Guest, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Folks, I just pickled up a 2003' in Silver.
    On my first ride I had noticed two things:

1. For some reason, it seemed harder to lean then my ST1100... I'll attribute that to being new to VFR

2. The throttle pissed me off!!! Every time you roll off to a closed position, no matter how smooth, even in 6th gear at 70 mph, it felt as if you just shot it down suddenly. Would loose momentum, compress the forks, etc.

Is this a normal thing for it to do? I hate looking for faults on bikes and would much prefer spending the time riding, but this bothered me... Please, let me know if there is a remedy.

Thank you! Ride safe!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

A Power Commander will help with the snatchy throttle response, mine did it as well. As for the slow steering, a few ways to quicken it a bit: 1st, you can crank up the preload a bit in the back using the spanner in the tool kit, that will help a little 2nd, you can loosen the triple clamp and fork brace, and lower the front end .05-.1". That will definitly speed things up.

3. icing777

icing777 New Member

Shawn, is PC a big deal to install?
    What exactly does it change? Also, did you figure out what the original problem is / was?

My preload is OK, I don't really need to lower the front
    (doesn't help my bad back...) Tire pressure is OK too.

I hope that I will grow into it, just feels like I have to "work" it into the lean, where as the ST1100 just follows my thought.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Adjusting your preloads makes a bid difference in how the bike handles. The preload factory settings are too soft.

For the front preload, from maximum hardness, back out the screws 1 and 1/2 turns.

For the rear, I set it to position #5.

Bike handling on mine is more precise and the front wheel grips better on the 100+mph sweepers. Also the front end doesn't dive as much when rolling off the throttle.

5. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

Block the "pair valve" and you will have "a new bike" no more snatch throttle response at low speed. On the left side of the air box, there's a rose, that's goes to the 'pair valve', and that's the only one. (Block it)

6. chesthing

chesthing New Member

Your vfr should feel night/day better handling than your st1100. My best guess is your tires are underinflated.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Re 1) that does seem unusual, check you tyres are at recommended 36psi F & 42psi R and havn't been squared off, better still if you like the twsities change to Michelin Pilot Powers for a lift in handling capability.:first:

Re 2) H'mmm not sure if normal or varied peoples peception the VFR's V4 does have great engine braking which I like in the tight stuff, on the fork dive have you set pre-load and suspension to suit your weight ?

Lastly as a general hint you have just come from a large torquey engine to a smaller capacity rev loving engine if possible try a keep Rev's above a 4K absolute minimum especially in the higher gears.

8. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

There's two mods to addres this problems:
    first: to solve the snatch throttle response, block the "pair valve" and the bike will become very smooth specially around conrners at low speeds and will save gas. How?:1: Raise the tank. 2: Locate the hose that runs from the air box to the pair valve.(there's only one hose on the left side that goes to the 'pair valve' on the rear). 3:Block or insert a blockage into this pipe and go for a ride. You will be amazed
    second: to stop the switch like on and off throttle reaction at most speeds, theres the ITS mod (inlet temp sensor). The ITS is under the air box, it must be desconect and repleced for a 280 OMHS resistor,(radioshack) just like the 02 eliminator mod.
    If you really, really want to know why it works, please do you self a favor and go to this site: www.bikersoracle.com ->go to Forums-> Honda->Scrool donw to Honda VFR Owners Club->Techinical Questions->to Page 4->Look for VTEC fuelling Inssue after Japan etc..to page 3.->and look for the postings of "Hondafonda". All info is there. I did it and my bike runs very very good!!!

9. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
    First make sure you adjust all the slop out of the throttle cable. Pay particular attention to the two hex bolt/locknut adjusters where the cable meets the throttle body (behind the fairing panel just under the tank). That simple adjustment may eliminate your problem.

10. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

NO...it won't fix the problem at all. Because what happens is: when the bike is running, the 'pair valve' is open to blast fresh air into the exhaust system. This was done to clean up the exhaust emmisions and works fine on all bikes. But on the VTEC it all went wrong because it has a 02 sensor fitted in the exhaust system. The 'pair valve' works all the time blasting fresh air into the exhaust and is pickup be the 02 sensor, which thinks the bike is running lean (19:1) and then sends a signal to the ECU to richen up the fuel mixture. The ECO now is pouring as much fuel as it can into he engine and the mix fuel/air becomes 11:1, making the bike hard to ride and resulting in snatch throttle response. This info comes from Hondafonda, not me ok?.
    You can spend money on a PC3, or do this mod for free.
    I used to fight with the clutch all the time, after this mod, my bike is very smooth and the gas mileage went up to 48/gallon, because now the ECU has the right info do the gas/air ratio!!

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Having just pulled apart and cleaned my PAIR valves to solve :smile: a high fuel consumption problem would like to isolate them so they don't Gum up sticking open again. ( was only one reed stuck open but one was enough )

Do you know which hose blocks off the Front PAIR valve's, is their a " How To " Mod with photo's that you know of ?

12. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

I don't have any pictures for the 'pair valve' mod, but it is on the www.bikersoracle.com. Look after the first Fondahonda posting and you will find clear info and pictures.
    'If' you seat on the bike, your left side or your left arm, that's the one I'm talking about. Look on the side of the air filter and you will see just one black hose going to the pair valve on the rear, and that's the only one to be blocked.

13. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

Ooops! I just went to the other site, and the links to the pictures is not working any more. I do have one picture for the IAT sensor with the TPS mod. This last mod is very risk, and if you make a mistake can cost you a lot a money US$2.000, so forget it, unless you know what you are doing. I try to post it, but the file is too big for this site so the only way out is if you send me an e-mail address!

14. olderandfaster

olderandfaster New Member

PAIR blocked and idle speed

Hi,

I blocked the tube from the air box to the PAIR valve last night. Let it warm up, and noticed the idle speed had dropped by aboput 300 RPM. I re-set the idle speed to about 1,250 RPM. Anyone else noticed a drop in idle speed after blocking the PAIR?

15. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

Yes, I've notice about same, but any way I do like to keep mine at 1.400rpm. How's your bike after bloking the 'pair valve"?, does it ride better?

16. olderandfaster

Hi Marcosdm,

Thanks for the response. I'll let you know how it rides after this weekend.
    With the Staintunes, PCIII and K&N it is smoother (especially at the VTEC transition) and seems to have a bit more power, but the throttle was still "snatchy", that's why I wanted to try the PAIR block. We'll be riding this weekend.

17. Marcosdm

Marcosdm New Member

Hi Olderandfaster!
    I've try the PCIII with the 02 eliminator. My bike was smooth, slow, with lack of power and a delay throttle response...and bad gas/mpg. http://vfrworld.com/forums/images/smilies/custom/smash.gif
    :smash:
    Now :
    Leo Vince exhaust (great sound), K&N, Pair valve mod and ITS mod. The bike rides very good, smooth, fast and great gas mileage. 48+mpg. .http://vfrworld.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    :biggrin:

A PCIII on mine bike only works with a dyno job $$$. I'm very happy the way it's right now. So let's see what's is gonna happens with the combination pair valve modXPCIII.
    Have a nice ride and let me know. http://vfrworld.com/forums/images/smilies/custom/yield.gif
    :yield:

18. olderandfaster

Rode 160 miles yesterday. Lots of twisties and hills. Many gear changes and throttle action. It certainly seemed smoother and the throttle was less prone to being 'over sensitive' which probably caused the snatchiness. I'm pleased with it. A friend was on his new FZ1, and I managed to pretty much keep up with him. The VFR's cornering/leaning ability is very good. Acceleration, although not stunning is good, and when the VTEC kicks in it's like a train. Saw 120+ on a straight section. There were strong cross winds, but it was stable. Didn't check the fuel consumption, I may do that today.

19. VaRollOn

VaRollOn New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks alot for this one! Interesting research to say the least. Does Honda USA have a stand on the issue(s)? I understand the argument for the adjustments etc, more delving i guess is what I need to understand further.